Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore Master Thread [merged] - after Jan 01, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by planetdot
Just completed a few nights' stay at the end of September 2023 as a Diamond AMB. It was my first time at this hotel. While I didn't receive a room upgrade, they graciously accommodated my early check-in after an exhausting transatlantic flight.

I've previously stayed at the Andaz and experienced Conrad on this trip as well. Among the three, IHG Bugis stood out for its hospitality and prime location.

The hotel staff here truly shine, from the front desk to concierge, porters, doormen, housekeeping, and servers. Cannot find a single fault with their warm, welcoming and professional demeanor. The complimentary breakfast buffet was decent, but I'd recommend exploring the local eateries and hawker stalls in Singapore, known for their affordability and delicious food. The hotel's location is perfect for this, with numerous options just a block or two away. You can ask the concierge for recommendations; they suggested Ji Xiang Ang Ju Kueh, a local heritage confectionery shop, and Chin Chin Eating House for Hainanese chicken, which is just around the corner (no need to queue for Ah Tai or Tian Tian Hainese chicken @ Maxwell). Popular local coffehouse, YY Kaifen Den, kaya toast/kopitiam place, and Pinhole Coffee Bar (prices along the lines of Arabica) are also around the corner on Purvis Street. Don't miss the satay @ Lau Pat Sat hawker (only a 10 mins cab ride away) and Ah Chew Desserts, tradtional chinese dessert shop that is within walking distance. If you prefer international cuisine, there are several options connected to the hotel as you make your way towards Bugis station.

Transit wise, Bugis MRT station is right beneath the hotel, and taxis and car services were always readily available, with minimal wait times, even during peak hours.

Although the hotel's infrastructure is showing its age and could benefit from a refurbishment, the exceptional staff and unbeatable location more than compensate for it. Happy travels and eating folks!
I have never stayed at the Andaz but as a Hilton Diamond (soon not anymore), I would put Conrad over IC (IHG ambassador lounge pass) with a margin. Rooms are better (with a much better view in most cases) and location is better for most things. I prefer the service at Conrad as well. Did you have access to the lounge in both and what did you think? I found drinks are better in the IC but food is probably more substantial at Conrad.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Speaking as a jaded IHG Diamond AMB, I was wowed by the service and attention I received last night on a very busy Friday night. The hotel has been running a soft trial with a butler service for club level rooms. My butler and his team went above and beyond to decorate the Ambassador suite (2 level upgrade from 1BD suite) for a birthday celebration.

Suite decorations

Towel cake. Monogrammed pillow cases

Welcome amenity with birthday items

A la carte menu for lounge breakfast

The service at club lounge at evening drinks and breakfast feels more exclusive now with food and drink orders taken at the table. The food quality has improved as well. The lack of a paper menu was the only drawback. Annoying if you don't have a phone with you to scan the QR code.
demue and shoven like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Glad the hotel is re-inventing itself!

But ofcourse happy birthday !
*blowtickler* confetti*

The ambassador suite is quite a majestic room,
the only light niggle is the older type bathroom ... but that is compensated with the walk in closet

Enjoy!

Thank you for the new club menu …
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:52 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold, Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum
Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
1 King Corner City View, upgraded to 1 King Junior Suite (one-category upgrade, noted in a preferences email from the hotel a few days before the stay but not visible in the IHG app until after check-in)

How are the rooms?
Large, clean and tastefully decorated. I'm not sure when the last renovation was done (certainly no changes since my last visit which was in 2019) but it still looks modern and in good condition so wouldn't say there is a need for a refresh yet. There was plenty of complimentary bottled water and the two TVs had a good variety of channels as well as Chromecast. Bathroom had separate shower and bath and was well-stocked with Byredo amenities.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A, didn't have access.

What was good and what was bad?
The Good
  • Great location - above Bugis Junction and the Bugis MRT station (you can access both directly from the hotel, completely indoors and air-conditioned), which is on both the East-West (Green) and Downtown (Blue) lines. The East-West line makes it super easy to get to the airport and the fare is a mere $2, for a solo traveller this is a no-brainer.
  • Welcome amenity waiting in my room on the second day of a pandan pound cake and personalised card.
  • Housekeeping was really good throughout the stay with both morning and evening turndown service provided, they were always prompt and never got in the way.
  • Large, well-equipped gym as well as outdoor pool.
The Bad (none are particularly bad, but have noted for review purposes)
  • They are having a laugh with the supplement for Club InterContinental access - received an email a few days out from my stay offering this for SGD $280++/night. May as well book a Club IC room at this rate!
  • Odd / confusing communication around the Ambassador 4pm late check-out - in responding to the pre-arrival email mentioned above I said I would like to lock in the 4pm check-out given my evening flight home to Sydney and received a somewhat concerning response that it would be subject to availability. However, when checking in the 4pm check-out was proactively offered and locked in without any fuss.
  • For the Ambassador F&B credit it is SGD $27nett, however the welcome letter stated it could only be used at LUCE, Man Fu Yuan and The Lobby Lounge, specifically excluding in-room dining, breakfast, minibar or any of the other hotel restaurants. Haven't seen this sort of restriction before and hopefully not something we will see more of. That said, I used the voucher towards drinks at the Lobby Bar which ended up costing about $10 more than the value of the voucher and at check-out they said they would just comp the full bill, which was nice.
  • Prior to arrival they asked for my room preferences and I reiterated the preferences saved on my profile, i.e. high floor and away from the elevator. Didn't get either of these, it was a low floor and the second room down the hall from the elevators! Not a problem but I wondered why they bothered to ask!
  • If there was one disappointment with the room it would have to be the poor quality single-ply tissues and toilet paper provided, certainly wasn't in keeping with the higher quality of everything else in the room.
  • Welcome drink amenity was a bit stingy, only received 1 x drink voucher valid for a drink from a limited list in the Lobby Lounge. Typically in Asia and Australia I have been given 2 x vouchers even when travelling solo and in some cases a drink + snack voucher.
  • The breakfast buffet is now served in "The Breakfast Room" and was essentially the same as I remembered from 2019, i.e. has a lot of variety but ultimately nothing special. I only had breakfast on one morning and pre-booked it at a cost of $38++, a $10 discount compared to the walk-up price. In a city with as many good dining choices as Singapore I would suggest skipping the hotel breakfast unless you have it included in your package.
  • Would have been nice to have got some Easter chocolates for the turndown on Easter Sunday but alas no such luck

Value for $ or IHG One Rewards Points? Would you return?
Paid SGD $436/night (including taxes and service charge) for four nights over the Easter weekend, which I would say is fair in comparison to similar hotels in Singapore. Have stayed at about half a dozen properties in Singapore over the years and would have to say ICS has become my favourite. Will certainly be back.

Photos in the spoilers below!

Spoiler

demue likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by The-Aviator
  • For the Ambassador F&B credit it is SGD $27nett, however the welcome letter stated it could only be used at LUCE, Man Fu Yuan and The Lobby Lounge, specifically excluding in-room dining, breakfast, minibar or any of the other hotel restaurants. Haven't seen this sort of restriction before and hopefully not something we will see more of. That said, I used the voucher towards drinks at the Lobby Bar which ended up costing about $10 more than the value of the voucher and at check-out they said they would just comp the full bill, which was nice.
It seems the room service charge is excluded from F&B, not the items ordered. I had ordered a cake from room service and an ice cream at the pool (items had a total value of 19SGD plus room service charge). On my final bill the items were deducted against the F&B credit, I just had to pay the room service fee.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 7:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thank you for the review.... cannot like so here goes §
The-Aviator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.