Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
The purpose of this thread was to discuss a corporate offer that was leaked to the public by blogs.
The offer was to instantly upgrade your account to Diamond Elite regardless of current status and stays.

This offer is now dead and the thread has deviated from its original topic.
Suggest mods to lock
Print Wikipost

Get instantly upgraded to IHG Diamond status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
IDK mine had lapsed.
Once I paid it extended the status instantly to Dec 2023
I just did the same thing. I let my ambassador lapse a few years back since it didn't seem to be worth keeping it being stuck in USA due to covid restrictions. With an upcoming trip to Asia and too many points in my account anyway, I figured I'd burn a few on AMB primarily just to get upgraded on my upcoming stays. My diamond expiration date was immediately pushed forward from 12/22 to 12/23.

I'm not sure if going forward this will be a way to maintain Diamond or if at some point we will actually have to stay the 70 nights. I will make 40 this year for lounge access, and then I guess we shall see in 2023 if IHG's program is worth the effort.
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:09 pm

I'm about to test this elite status for what it's worth in 48 hours at one of their showcase resorts - ANA InterContinental Beppu. It's our second stay in 2 years there, and one of our favorite 4 resorts throughout Japan.
They upgraded us last time at least 3 room levels above our booking on platinum level - but that was during the first year of Covid, when all hotels were ghost towns here. I'm not expecting much other than a great resort, given I've added ambassador after the diamond upgrade. Finally, after 14 years of visiting these properties in various countries, I have a status worth evaluating critically.
beltway and Princess fiona like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by scwam
Same here but enrolled. First time I had it was 2015. I was one of the first to act on this, as I'm in Asia. If they pull the plug on the ones who captured this, it will become a PR fiasco.
Simple enough IHG will downgrade you to Platinum for this and next year. Enjoy your breakfast-less stays, lmao
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm about to test this elite status for what it's worth in 48 hours at one of their showcase resorts - ANA InterContinental Beppu. It's our second stay in 2 years there, and one of our favorite 4 resorts throughout Japan.
They upgraded us last time at least 3 room levels above our booking on platinum level - but that was during the first year of Covid, when all hotels were ghost towns here. I'm not expecting much other than a great resort, given I've added ambassador after the diamond upgrade. Finally, after 14 years of visiting these properties in various countries, I have a status worth evaluating critically.
Interested to hear your experience regarding upgrade and breakfast at IC Beppu maybe in the hotel thread if you get a chance (assuming your Diamond Fastrack sticks). We are planned to be there late Dec and I'm Diamond Ambassador as well (though not from the Fastrack offer). Of course around Christmas period competition for rooms / upgrades and all may be an entirely different story, but always helps to get some actual experiences as guide.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by saecotech
Simple enough IHG will downgrade you to Platinum for this and next year. Enjoy your breakfast-less stays, lmao
Mr. 🤡 worksboy - lol. Do you really think that would pester me? The breakfasts are free anyhow here at certain properties in Asia no matter status. I ain't no thang'! I'll holla @ you @ da' top!
I ain't tryin' kick it LOL.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by demue
Interested to hear your experience regarding upgrade and breakfast at IC Beppu maybe in the hotel thread if you get a chance (assuming your Diamond Fastrack sticks). We are planned to be there late Dec and I'm Diamond Ambassador as well (though not from the Fastrack offer). Of course around Christmas period competition for rooms / upgrades and all may be an entirely different story, but always helps to get some actual experiences as guide.
Yes, fast-track. We went there exactly 2 years ago on platinum. Breakfast was very good. Most of these 5* hotels in Japan will have superb food. Cocktails were good. Breakfast = free this time (covid) no matter status. There are only 4 properties in Japan that I've been to which are comparable - Hyatt Hanazono, Roku Kyoto (Hilton), Hyatt Serakgaki, and Intercontinental Pier 8 Yokohama,,, maybe Hotel Nikko Alivila and Indigo Kyukaruizawa. The thing is, local hotels in Japan are dated, depressing and ugly af. So unless you appreciate the local early 70's look then you'd better look for such hotels.

Last edited by scwam; Oct 15, 2022 at 6:11 am
Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HadesNL
IHG has negotiated free breakfast for Diamond across their brands with the hotel owners.

Understandable, if everyone is Diamond than the breakfast will be seen turning from profit centre to cost center in views of hotel management.
Some hotels have already moved to offering Diamonds the buffet + 1 à la carte menu (hot) order ONLY

If everyone is Diamond like at Hiltons in the US: the free IHG-Diamond breakfast will turn soon into a breakfast voucher of nominal value for a coffee + danish

I can imagine it being a nightmare for smaller hotels like Indigos with small breakfast rooms that get a sudden influx of newly minted Diamond guests,
Now needing to warn upcoming guests in welcome emails the peak times for breakfast and advance planning is required due be certain to get a seat and to enjoy breakfast instead of standing in a queue waiting for a table to come free......
The doom and gloom of breakfast culture never ceases to amaze me. Suddenly, this offer is going to overwhelm hotels. Legions of people are going to storm into breakfast because they are now Diamond. Previously, no one had ever eaten hotel breakfast.

IHG also knew exactly what they were doing by creating Diamond status. (But their IT in this offer is poor as usual). People will stay 70 nights, ignoring cheaper rates at other brands, in hopes of a free breakfast. In the grand scheme of travel, the flights, other transportation, hotels, entertainment, drinks, dining, etc it's amazing how much revenue can be captured by the desire for an included breakfast.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Super Mario
The doom and gloom of breakfast culture never ceases to amaze me. Suddenly, this offer is going to overwhelm hotels. Legions of people are going to storm into breakfast because they are now Diamond. Previously, no one had ever eaten hotel breakfast.

IHG also knew exactly what they were doing by creating Diamond status. (But their IT in this offer is poor as usual). People will stay 70 nights, ignoring cheaper rates at other brands, in hopes of a free breakfast. In the grand scheme of travel, the flights, other transportation, hotels, entertainment, drinks, dining, etc it's amazing how much revenue can be captured by the desire for an included breakfast.
Great comment! I’m top tier elite with Marriott, Hilton and IHG, and I don’t really care about breakfast - I usually sleep through it unless I’m at a W 😂. I care about improved customer experience, upgrades and late checkout. I can afford my own breakfast and there’s often a better one to be found outside my hotel.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 12:53 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

Guilty

I won't stay 70 nights though, unless I was going to anyway - 40 is more achievable and I guess this will get some sort of lounge breakfast. Prior to being diamond I did book HIX over other brands because of free breakfast, even though only 20% of the breakfast in the UK is edible (well it's better in the rest of Europe and Asia etc).

If Hilton ever introduces their credit thing outside the US I will be done with Hilton (unless it fully covers breakfast every day - none of that ends at midnight nonsense).
kevino likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm about to test this elite status for what it's worth in 48 hours at one of their showcase resorts - ANA InterContinental Beppu...
Fantastic property. Love the onsen and views. I stayed there late last year just before the Diamond rollout. Please consider posting an updated review to the IC Beppu master thread.

-FlyerBeek
demue and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:25 am
formerly rt23456p

​​​​​​IHG have way lower priced Hotel compared to Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton. I knew many people in China working in companies that can only cover hotel up to HIX price ranges. hence they are more or less the most enthusiastic loyalist of IHG program as they don't really have another choice except for IHG.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lsquare
I just signed up just in case, but Hilton just came out with double points and an EQN promo. It's tempting to divert some of my upcoming Hilton stays to IHG just to see what it's like in the pandemic era. Tough decisions ahead! I wish there is an even easier way to extend this to 2023. Any cheap properties around the world?
India has some IHG properties that go for around $35-55 per night before taxes and whatever else they toss onto the folio.

The Ambassador renewal may be the cheaper gamble to try to extend the Diamond status, but it also requires outlaying money up-front for that potential extension (which may or may not stick).
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Fantasti
c property. Love the onsen and views. I stayed there late last year just before the Diamond rollout. Please consider posting an updated review to the IC Beppu master thread.

-FlyerBeek
How did you get here last year? We were blocking foreign visitors for the past 18 months. Were you on business? I remember going to Europe in late April this year on Saturday evening and Haneda airport was a complete ghost town. Today, it was packed to the brim.
Anyway.....
First night here and the ambassador + diamond hasn't really given much more than a one level upgrade despite coming here exactly 2 years ago on our first visit for 5 nights on platinum. We literally spent 2 hours looking at 5 different rooms including a first floor suite. The initial signature card had listed the same room I originally booked. It wasn't until I brought up the topic that an upgrade was not shown on the check-in card that we began those discussions. Bar is closed Monday to Thursday. Restaurants stop service at 8:45pm. Good news is the "Go to" travel campaign shaved off 90,000 Yen from our total room charge for 6 nights -
approx. a 25% savings. Plus, they gave us an additional 54,000 Yen in vouchers to use anywhere for anything (even outside the hotel). That's 144,000 Yen. All in all, after those vouchers, this hotel is running me 50,000 Yen/day inclusive of breakfast. I expect to spend $160 - $200 on dinner and drinks for a family of 3 each night with the favourable conversion.

Definitely love the boiled-egg beer fireworks 🎆 fart odour outside here.

Last edited by scwam; Oct 16, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rt23456p
​​​​​​IHG have way lower priced Hotel compared to Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton. I knew many people in China working in companies that can only cover hotel up to HIX price ranges. hence they are more or less the most enthusiastic loyalist of IHG program as they don't really have another choice except for IHG.
it's somewhat different in China. My experience living there was that IHG had a longer foothold there. During that time Hilton and Hyatt were building new, and much more modernized properties. But there was only one Intercontinental in the city I lived in.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:00 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by GUWonder
India has some IHG properties that go for around $35-55 per night before taxes and whatever else they toss onto the folio.

The Ambassador renewal may be the cheaper gamble to try to extend the Diamond status, but it also requires outlaying money up-front for that potential extension (which may or may not stick).
The problem now is: why should people get a diamond if they can't stay for 40 nights and unlock the first lounge pass choice? I knew plenty of people who spend less than 20 nights a year, with a majority of them being at HIX properties and having Spire status which will grant them lounge access in Crowne Plaza and Hualuxe properties.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.