Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
The purpose of this thread was to discuss a corporate offer that was leaked to the public by blogs.
The offer was to instantly upgrade your account to Diamond Elite regardless of current status and stays.

This offer is now dead and the thread has deviated from its original topic.
Suggest mods to lock
Print Wikipost

Get instantly upgraded to IHG Diamond status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2022, 12:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by Super Mario
The doom and gloom of breakfast culture never ceases to amaze me. Suddenly, this offer is going to overwhelm hotels. Legions of people are going to storm into breakfast because they are now Diamond. Previously, no one had ever eaten hotel breakfast.
Last saturday at the Indigo The Hague, the breakfast room couldn't cope with a full hotel with every guest coming at breakfast at 9 at once.
It is only that someone from guest relations reached out to me 4 days in advance per email noting that as an appreciated guest the advise was to get in before 08,30 to be sure of getting a table.

Why?

Citing weekend high occupancy:

Guests normally book a rate with breakfast = hotel can anticipate crowds in advance

Now Diamonds book a stay without breakfast,
let reception know only at day of checkin that they want breakfast for the next day = hotel knows only 24H in advance the strain on breakfast room occupancy => crowds appear and not enough tables free

hence the hotel's need to warn their preferred guests
(or even better they should instate reservering slots for breakfast in general)

Last edited by HadesNL; Oct 16, 2022 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by rt23456p
The problem now is: why should people get a diamond if they can't stay for 40 nights and unlock the first lounge pass choice? I knew plenty of people who spend less than 20 nights a year, with a majority of them being at HIX properties and having Spire status which will grant them lounge access in Crowne Plaza and Hualuxe properties.
You know plenty of smart people.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:12 am

Breakfast is way overrated. Once I spent 45 days in an HIX in Hong Kong, The hotel gave me free breakfast for the whole duration. I only ate there once. Always went outside for breakfast.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Free breakfast for some is the only meal of the day. You are lucky you (or your employer) could afford to eat outside for bf even though your hotel offers it for free. I might be able to afford that but I appear to have a genetic condition which has prevented that from ever happening even one time.

I hope you got stay credit for the full 45 days.
downinit, MeltingAlf and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Last saturday at the Indigo The Hague, the breakfast room couldn't cope with a full hotel with every guest coming at breakfast at 9 at once.
It is only that someone from guest relations reached out to me 4 days in advance per email noting that as an appreciated guest the advise was to get in before 08,30 to be sure of getting a table.

Why?

Citing weekend high occupancy:

Guests normally book a rate with breakfast = hotel can anticipate crowds in advance

Now Diamonds book a stay without breakfast,
let reception know only at day of checkin that they want breakfast for the next day = hotel knows only 24H in advance the strain on breakfast room occupancy => crowds appear and not enough tables free

hence the hotel's need to warn their preferred guests
(or even better they should instate reservering slots for breakfast in general)
Hotels should assume all diamonds will take breakfast for now. After some months of data gathering they can work out what proportion of diamonds won't take the breakfast and plan accordingly.

I agree Indigos tend to have small restaurants so booking an approximate time would be useful on busy mornings. But they should be flexible about it, on the understanding that if you are a lot later than your approximate time slot you may have to wait until there's a free table. (This has been my experience at Indigos so far.)
HadesNL and 336 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The issue appears to be a busy hotel with paying customers not a diamonds availing themselves of their benefit.

Other hotels have had traffic light signs indicating busy times.

I don't think any hotel restaurent could cope with a large number people all appearing at the same time

It's an issue that's existed for years.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
This seems like a kick in the teeth for those folks that are busting a gut to qualify for Diamond before 31st December.
MichaelA380 and Keefy-boy like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:10 pm

Does purchasing brand new Ambassador status (not renewing) also extend Diamond expiration to 12/23?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Does purchasing brand new Ambassador status (not renewing) also extend Diamond expiration to 12/23?
Yes. I just did it a few days ago.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Yes. I just did it a few days ago.
Sure does
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:11 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Breakfast is way overrated. Once I spent 45 days in an HIX in Hong Kong, The hotel gave me free breakfast for the whole duration. I only ate there once. Always went outside for breakfast.
Given free breakfast is included for everyone free at every Express by Holiday Inn worldwide (it is a chain benefit/ selling point) this is nothing out of the ordinary and what you were entitled too not via status but by staying at this particular brand.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:55 am

As another said, yes. I used points 4 days ago and it extended it. Although I had ambassador back in 2015 one time.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by pmcg
This seems like a kick in the teeth for those folks that are busting a gut to qualify for Diamond before 31st December.
I don't mind and I still have a few teeth left. I'm at 62 nights and should hit 70 by the end of next month (95% from award stays). I'm used to it with Hyatt having Diamond (then Globalist) challenges/matches/taste of promotions after 10 stays every year for about a decade (it stopped about two years ago). I've qualified the normal way for more than 20 years. I didn't begrudge those Hyatt Diamond/Globalist lites, especially since they didn't get suite upgrades or milestone bonuses like free nights (if I recall correctly). It would make me laugh when they would complain about not getting the suite upgrades.

I also signed up for the instant Diamond and will renew Ambassador at the end of February, so I will be a triple clad Diamond. haha

So far, my account hasn't been frozen (for signing up for the instant Diamond), which is good bc I'm expecting 150k more points to add soon to my 520k from the sign up bonus from getting the Chase IHG Business Visa Card.
GUWonder, pmcg and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:03 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by demue
Given free breakfast is included for everyone free at every Express by Holiday Inn worldwide (it is a chain benefit/ selling point) this is nothing out of the ordinary and what you were entitled too not via status but by staying at this particular brand.
And you can't compare a HIX prefab breakfast (although I can see how it can be better quality in Hong Kong than North America) to an IC breakfast. Not all breakfasts are created equal!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I also don't understand the preoccupation with free hotel breakfast. If I'm traveling, part of the reason is to get better food and coffee in a better city. Coffee is exciting in Seattle or Portland. Breakfast is exciting in SF or LA. Nothing is exciting about Crowne Plaza bacon and "coffee."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.