Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
The definitive FT resource relating to loyalty programmes, how they expire, and how they can be kept alive, can be found in the wiki on the following thread:-
Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by tangey
The definitive FT resource relating to loyalty programmes, how they expire, and how they can be kept alive, can be found in the wiki on the following thread:-
Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire
Thanks !
But we all seem to know how we can keep points from expiring.
However, the fact that the expiry date has disappeared from accounts means that we have to double check by phone to make sure that a "qualifying" activity-date has re-set the expiry date. and we will have to trust the phone agent on this.
I rather see the expiry date for my ±500k points stated in my account, just as before.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:25 am

Wish I'd read this thread a few weeks ago!!! I've just lost my 28000 points from my account. Received email reminding me that points were about to expire. ‘And remember, every time you stay, earn or redeem, you keep all your points active for another year’ the email told me, with a link to make a booking. Booked a stay for mid April using cash for a holiday in Beijing in April. But I didn’t realise that wouldn’t be enough to stop the points disappearing. I should have used points, not cash, I now realise. But IHG just won’t budge at all on the issue and my mistake. All I get from them is the usual, ‘we appreciate your concern’ and ‘understand your difficulty blah blah blah’ but a refusal to reinstate points or help. Just faceless1984 corporate type speak and a hiding behind their terms and conditions. Anyway, left feeling really disappointed and angry at their absolute refusal to help. Maybe if I’d been a big corporate booker giving them a load of money, they would have made more effort. Anyway, yesterday I cancelled the booking and closed my account in frustration. Won't be staying with them again.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Does anyone know if the clock on expiry resets after cancellation ?
Like posted in prior data points, the expiry date is not visible any longer.
Do we now need to call in to track the expiry date ?
Perhaps IHG reps are reading this thread, and somehow - don't know when - the expiry date appeared back in accounts ^
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:16 pm

Transfer to or FROM account?

Hi, in response to your post: sounds like any points coming in or going out would work. On their site, it shows that transferring points OUT to another member is considered an activity but what about if someone transfers points TO me in order to increase my balance and thereby creating a qualifying "activity"? Does that work?? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:48 pm

and somehow - don't know when - the expiry date appeared back in accounts ^
Every year, it's the same, they hide the expiry date from accounts between January and March.
prech likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Does the e-book thing still work? Tried to buy a 400 point book and keep getting errors.
Yes, it still works. I just did it successful a few minutes ago.

I didn't find an ebook for 3 or 4 points. The sort seems to be broken, when I search for lowest priced ebooks it lists 250 before 200... and after some clicks through pages I found 150 between some 200 or 250s. Didn't want to spend more time on it and just bought one for 150pts. The ebook I bought last year for the same reason also jumped up in price, so did other 3-4 pts books that are listed in this thread.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:53 am

All of My IHG (Holiday Inn) Points Expired

IHG (Holiday Inn) just told me all of Loyalty Points Expired.
I never received any email or direct mailing notifying of my points were about
to expire.
I have been a member of the Holiday Inn Loyalty program for over 25 years.
I spoke with two IHG rewards program reps on the phone who said they
could not reinstate my hard earned (business travel) points.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
How much did you lose? I bet you can escalate it and get them restored if it was a ton over a long period of time. If not, take to social media.
KCKC likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by USBusinessTraveler
IHG (Holiday Inn) just told me all of Loyalty Points Expired.
If I may ask, when was your last activity ?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Thanks !
But we all seem to know how we can keep points from expiring.
However, the fact that the expiry date has disappeared from accounts means that we have to double check by phone to make sure that a "qualifying" activity-date has re-set the expiry date. and we will have to trust the phone agent on this.
I rather see the expiry date for my ±500k points stated in my account, just as before.
The expiry only occurs if you have NO IHG @Rewards elite status (ie are only club non elite member)

Then if no @Rewards status, 12months from last activity, that means points plus/minus activity. Booking a future paid stay before 12months is up, which will only stay+post after the 12months is up alas obviously not enough and means one loses ones points

By the way fake booking/cancel ie award bookk+cancel to circumvent IHGs intent is now specifically covered by t+c's change/addition/clarification in the last four or so months so booking eg 10k night 11months out around 11months of no status then cancelling in 11months time will lose you your points.
(Cheapest method if no status is to spend on an ebook at =< 500pts if available)

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...-tc.html#terms <-- see point 24.

24. Point Expiration. CLUB LEVEL MEMBERSHIP POINTS (SEE MEMBER BENEFITS, INCLUDING LEVELS OF MEMBERSHIP, HERE) WILL EXPIRE IF YOUR MEMBERSHIP ACCOUNT BECOMES INACTIVE FOR ANY PERIOD OF TWELVE (12) MONTHS OR LONGER, WHICH MEANS YOUR POINTS WILL BE REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT AND WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE FOR REDEMPTION. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG Rewards Club credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. If you redeem Points for a Stay and subsequently cancel that Stay, the redemption activity does not prevent Point expiration. Points do not expire for current Elite Members, although Points may expire twelve (12) months after an Elite Member’s account moves to Club level if there is no “earn” or “redeem” activity during those twelve (12) months.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:13 am

IHG wants to remove as many earned points as it can from their Rewards Loyalty program.
Basically, they say the member is at fault.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Tonybaloney123
Hi, in response to your post: sounds like any points coming in or going out would work. On their site, it shows that transferring points OUT to another member is considered an activity but what about if someone transfers points TO me in order to increase my balance and thereby creating a qualifying "activity"? Does that work?? Thanks in advance for your help!
Has anyone confirmed if a transfer in will work?

My GF's account has about 30,050 points, so with the 3 point e-books seemingly all gone, any redemption would drop her below 30K, which I'd rather not do given hotel redemptions come in 5K increments. And post 101 makes it sound like redeem and cancel no longer works. If we need to we could just buy 1K points for her, but it'd be cheaper for me to transfer 1K to her - if that works.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by swag
Has anyone confirmed if a transfer in will work?

My GF's account has about 30,050 points, so with the 3 point e-books seemingly all gone, any redemption would drop her below 30K, which I'd rather not do given hotel redemptions come in 5K increments. And post 101 makes it sound like redeem and cancel no longer works. If we need to we could just buy 1K points for her, but it'd be cheaper for me to transfer 1K to her - if that works.
I tried it out and can now confirm, being the recipient of a transfer does reset the expiration by another year. ^
prech likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
just bought this ebook for 4 points
https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/us/eb...ern-healthcare

but the expiry date has not moved further by an year. does anyone know how long it takes to do so?

a day after... all shows perfect. expiry has been pushed forth by 1 year...

Last edited by Culture Guru; Oct 11, 2018 at 7:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.