Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by beltway
Instead of wasting points, buy a soda or bag of chips at an IHG Dine & Earn outlet. https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...-offers/dining You’ll get points plus some cheap calories.
Thanks for your idea, but being located in Austria this option will not work I guess.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: NW/CO, DL Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tjae
Thanks for your idea, but being located in Austria this option will not work I guess.
The cheapest thing I've found on the digital rewards site is a game called "Tiny Troopers," currently discounted 90% from 1400 points to 150 points. Redeemed for it and the transaction showed up in the IHG account right away. I haven't been able to download it to the computer, though, because my browser thinks the website is unsafe and won't download the Game Installer needed to get the game . Anyone have any ideas to get around that? It's okay, though, since the important thing is that my points should be good for another year and it only cost 150 points. Gripe: that digital rewards site is super user-unfriendly. The Search function would return results but nothing would happen when you clicked on them, so it was pretty useless. Or maybe it was just me...YMMV.
tjae and louie-m like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:56 pm

IHG OpenTable booking at a restaurant, points may or may not post in time. I did one a few weeks ago for my father and they posted in a few days and reset his clock. Go out tonight if you can find something!
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chilltheham
The cheapest thing I've found on the digital rewards site is a game called "Tiny Troopers," currently discounted 90% from 1400 points to 150 points. .
If that's this one it shows as 100 points (discounted 90% from 1200) for me.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
If that's this one it shows as 100 points (discounted 90% from 1200) for me.
On what country?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:00 pm

On what country?
Doesn't say country anywhere specifically, but my account is UK based - so maybe that's the reason for the different pricing...
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Doesn't say country anywhere specifically, but my account is UK based - so maybe that's the reason for the different pricing...
The wheel in the right top corner lets you choose the country.
When I switch to UK - no discount is displayed.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:40 am

The wheel in the right top corner lets you choose the country.
When I switch to UK - no discount is displayed.
I don't have that option, only can change the language.

And regardless of what language I pick, the cost is the same.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:47 am

In the desktop browser there is
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:03 pm

In the desktop browser there is
I think it's just IHG's IT being IHG's IT.

Mine was from a desktop too (Safari on Mac, probably what makes a difference).
tjae likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by chilltheham
The cheapest thing I've found on the digital rewards site is a game called "Tiny Troopers," currently discounted 90% from 1400 points to 150 points.
For those having trouble finding the game at 150 points, I found that doing a search for "Tiny Troopers" on the English language site only returned a full-price option to redeem for 1400 points. Instead, select "Games" from the sidebar on the left, and underneath that select "Offers". Then just scroll down through all the discounted games until you see that game for 150 points about three rows from the bottom. It seems to be the cheapest option available.

FWIW, at one time you could use the search function to search by points, which made it easy to find a book or game that was very cheap. That's no more, unfortunately, and they've also gotten rid of the one-off stuff that could be redeemed for next to nothing.
tjae likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I last stayed in a hotel on 2/22/22. I Have had no activity since then. When will my points disappear from my account? I do have a stay planned for 2/24/23 if that matters.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I last stayed in a hotel on 2/22/22. I Have had no activity since then. When will my points disappear from my account? I do have a stay planned for 2/24/23 if that matters.
Your points will expire before the stay. You could call IHG and ask if they could give you 1 point to extend it until your stay but no way to know what will happen. If you want to keep the points you could buy the smallest possible points or since you are in the US sign up for IHG dining https://ihgrewardsdineandearn.rewardsnetwork.com/
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schnit
Your points will expire before the stay. You could call IHG and ask if they could give you 1 point to extend it until your stay but no way to know what will happen. If you want to keep the points you could buy the smallest possible points or since you are in the US sign up for IHG dining https://ihgrewardsdineandearn.rewardsnetwork.com/
Yeah, IHG dining never works for me. I have tried several times (with a registered credit card) and I never get points. I do not wish to spend any money to save my points It's basically the principal of the thing now for me. I would rather lose 11,000 points than spend $1.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Yeah, IHG dining never works for me. I have tried several times (with a registered credit card) and I never get points. I do not wish to spend any money to save my points It's basically the principal of the thing now for me. I would rather lose 11,000 points than spend $1.
Why not use the IHG Opentable booking system, to go out for a meal where you'd go out and have anyway? They always post without issue and just rely on making the booking and putting in your IHG details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.