Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Transfer points to extend expiration?

My daughter has no status with IHG, and has points that will expire at the end of 2022. If I pay the $5 to transfer 1,000 points from my account to hers, will that reset the clock on her points expiration? The rules say you must "earn" or "redeem" but I have no idea how that translates into receiving transferred points. Anyone here successfully (or unsuccessfully) tried this?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:05 am

It's supposed to work but the last report is a few years old. There's an IHG page about keeping your points alive too, and it has a link to buying points.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by rrgg
It's supposed to work but the last report is a few years old. There's an IHG page about keeping your points alive too, and it has a link to buying points.
Thanks. Yes, I posted this question because I could not find any more recent guidance than the one you mentioned, which is now 4 years old. The IHG page about keeping points alive doesn't mention transferring points, only purchasing points. That could either mean transfers don't work, or IHG either deliberately or accidentally overlooked it. Ya never know with them, right?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by bob12403
Thanks. Yes, I posted this question because I could not find any more recent guidance than the one you mentioned, which is now 4 years old. The IHG page about keeping points alive doesn't mention transferring points, only purchasing points. That could either mean transfers don't work, or IHG either deliberately or accidentally overlooked it. Ya never know with them, right?
IHG did a significant revision of its expiration rules in 2018--for example, eliminating the "book & cancel an award" trick--so I would not trust a DP that old.

FWIW, the current T&C list receipt of transfered points under "Earning," but I wouldn't hang my hat on that. The easy play here is to sign up for the IHG dining program & buy a cup of coffee or bag of chips at whatever participating eatery is convenient for you.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
IHG did a significant revision of its expiration rules in 2018--for example, eliminating the "book & cancel an award" trick--so I would not trust a DP that old.

FWIW, the current T&C list receipt of transfered points under "Earning," but I wouldn't hang my hat on that. The easy play here is to sign up for the IHG dining program & buy a cup of coffee or bag of chips at whatever participating eatery is convenient for you.
Yes, I would have her do that (it's something I've personally used to keep some of my accounts active) but where she lives she doesn't have any conveniently located restaurants.
I may just toss in the $5, send her 1,000 points and see what happens. If I do, I'll report back on the results.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by bob12403
Yes, I would have her do that (it's something I've personally used to keep some of my accounts active) but where she lives she doesn't have any conveniently located restaurants.
Note that the purchase need not be made by her, or even with a card bearing her name. If there’s a restaurant near you that qualifies, register your card in her dining account & make the purchase yourself. Easy peasy.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Note that the purchase need not be made by her, or even with a card bearing her name. If there’s a restaurant near you that qualifies, register your card in her dining account & make the purchase yourself. Easy peasy.
I'm aware of that as well, thanks, and have played that card (sorry for the bad pun) in the past, when she was too young to have a credit card. My problem now is that all of my cards are already allocated to the various dining programs, and the dines I make in the last few months of the year will be needed to keep me at VIP in several of the programs.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:25 pm

OK, so I've decided to throw in the towel, and I just transferred 1,000 points to my daughter's account which theoretically will extend her expiration for another year. Here's the problem: Now that the points have posted, I want to be able to check her expiration date to confirm that the expiration has been updated. But after searching all over her account in both the app and the website, I can't find the expiration date anywhere. (She is a Club member and has no activity this year, so I know her points will expire at the end of 2022.)

The Wiki indicates "Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points ". No expiration info there.

It also indicates "In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date." This doesn't work either. Clicking on her name in the upper left corner does nothing, and I have not found "2020 track to elite status", or preferably "2022 track to elite status." I have found "View more details on your 2022 progress", but that has no info on expiration.

I think this info in the Wiki has not been updated since IHG revamped both the website and the app. (The reference to "2020 track to elite status" is kind of a giveaway.) Anybody here able to point me to where I can find the expiration in either the app or the website? (I'm elite, so this is not something that I've tried to find in my own account for years.)

Last edited by bob12403; Oct 23, 2022 at 4:31 am
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:46 pm

Wouldn't the IHG / Open Table booking route work? Just book a meal somewhere and get the points that way, doesn't require a linked card etc.?
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Wouldn't the IHG / Open Table booking route work? Just book a meal somewhere and get the points that way, doesn't require a linked card etc.?
I suggested that, but using the IHG link to book OT has proven to be something that is just not top of mind for her. It frustrates me as the family points minder, but that's now a moot point. As I explained in the preceding post, I went ahead and transferred points from my account to hers. Now all I'm trying to do is find the place on the website or app that tells me her expiration date has been updated to 2023, and I can't find it anywhere. The wiki info appears to be out of date, and following the Wiki instructions in the redesigned IHG website & app does not return any expiration info. Anybody out there know a trick to locate the expiration date on a Club account?
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:39 am

IHG stopped showing the date when they started waiving expiration for everyone, and I asked them to show it for obvious reasons. I guess you could email them so you have some paper trail.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
IHG stopped showing the date when they started waiving expiration for everyone, and I asked them to show it for obvious reasons. I guess you could email them so you have some paper trail.
You are correct--they should show it for all the obvious reasons. I may end up calling the Diamond line (which I am) and see if they can help out. Unbelievably dumb IT mistakes/decisions keep accruing to IHG. Thanks.

UPDATE: Just called IHG. The CSR checked my daughter's account, and her new expiration date is 10/22/23, one year from my transfer of 1,000 points into her account. So I can happily confirm that spending $5.00 to transfer points does reset the expiration clock for the recipient (and I would assume the donor as well, if applicable.) Unfortunately, I was also told there is no way to get a confirmation in writing of the new expiration. It's just beyond stupid that you have no way of seeing the expiration date nor obtaining confirmation of the new date. IHG once again does the inexplicable.

Last edited by bob12403; Oct 23, 2022 at 11:14 am
Old Oct 25, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Curious if anyone knows how it will work when elite status expires? I am currently Platinum but that will expire on 12/31/22. Once we hit 2023, I will have no qualifying activities within the last 12 months (yet). Is there some grace period after elite (soft landing) or does it kick in right away and I should expect points to be expired (hard landing) on 1/1/23?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Does someone have experience with
digitalrewards.ihg.com
?

Buying a journal should prevent the expiration, right?
I found for 200 points.

Any cheaper ideas?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by tjae
Does someone have experience with
digitalrewards.ihg.com
?

Buying a journal should prevent the expiration, right?
I found for 200 points.

Any cheaper ideas?

Thanks!
Instead of wasting points, buy a soda or bag of chips at an IHG Dine & Earn outlet. https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...-offers/dining You’ll get points plus some cheap calories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.