Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Searched through some related threads, but didn't see this topic covered

Managing a few IHG accounts for myself and family and was reminded by AwardWallet that the new expiration date/rule occurs on May 1, 2016.

As we no longer have an active IHG card, is there an easy way to accrue/spend some points to extend the expiry date?

Glancing around the IHG Offers page, I didn't see something similar to to AAdvantage eShopping Mall where I can place a small order (e.g. Apple iTunes) and have it credited towards my rewards points.

Thanks for any tips or ideas!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

maybe making and cancelling an award reservation will reset the timer
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
For the two accounts I dont use much in the last two years, marriott and hilton, I just bought the minimum points, I bet you can probably do that with IHG.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Thanks, I do wonder if the award reservation/cancellation process will reset things. Will give this a crack first!

Wonder if any folks out there who've done this with IHG reward points can verify?

Originally Posted by miadukes
For the two accounts I dont use much in the last two years, marriott and hilton, I just bought the minimum points, I bet you can probably do that with IHG.
Thanks, dug around and the most affordable points purchase seems to be $13.50 for 1000 points.

Alternately, IHG has a few different redemption/shopping options and the least costly purchase seems to be some digital music options at 300 points

Will keep digging around...
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by prech
Thanks, I do wonder if the award reservation/cancellation process will reset things. Will give this a crack first!

Wonder if any folks out there who've done this with IHG reward points can verify?

Thanks, dug around and the most affordable points purchase seems to be $13.50 for 1000 points.

Alternately, IHG has a few different redemption/shopping options and the least costly purchase seems to be some digital music options at 300 points

Will keep digging around...
You can get an ebook for 3 or 4 points
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Participate in IHG Dining program.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: British Airways, Virgin Flying Club, Hilton H, Priority Club, Cunarder, Celebrity Captains Club
Originally Posted by Saral
You can get an ebook for 3 or 4 points
I have received an email reminding me that my points expire shortly so came to look for advise from this forum. I can't find an option to spend points on an ebook on the IHG REWARD site, please could you post a link. Thank you.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Would love a link to the ebook too.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I logged into my families accounts and under account status where it say expires May 1 2016, click on How to keep my points next to date.A small box open and click on simply earn or redeem points.
Move down to digital rewards. Click on ebooks and look for children and teenagers option. I choose low price on right side. The book Brookdale and Beyond by Barry Lyga is 3 points. Hope this helps
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:20 pm
Suspended

i just downloaded a book for 3 points and it reset my points to one year from today.

so i went back to retrace my steps to explain it here but i can't!!! the interface is so terrible that i can't find the books again.

so get into your account, go to "redeem points" and search for books. they're there somewhere!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catstvl
Thanks for the reminder. I logged into my families accounts and under account status where it say expires May 1 2016, click on How to keep my points next to date.A small box open and click on simply earn or redeem points.
Move down to digital rewards. Click on ebooks and look for children and teenagers option. I choose low price on right side. The book Brookdale and Beyond by Barry Lyga is 3 points. Hope this helps
Thanks, I see it now. It's under digital rewards > ebooks.

Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i just downloaded a book for 3 points and it reset my points to one year from today.

so i went back to retrace my steps to explain it here but i can't!!! the interface is so terrible that i can't find the books again.

so get into your account, go to "redeem points" and search for books. they're there somewhere!

great idea. had trouble finding the 3pt books, but found them. have to go to children/teen.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Tried the 0 points magazine. Sadly it didn't work. Guess I will have to part way with 3 points .....maybe later in April.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise

Not just useful to keep your points alive

Can be used for Accelerator2016 promotion. I think nearly everyone got the Task for 1000points.
Unlike some I don't have task to stay on either points or points+cash this quarter, and no points nights hotels needed or even good value for me in my upcoming locations

"Earn When You Redeem
You earned your points, now use them! Redeem your points for anything, from a digital download to Reward Nights, and you’ll earn 1,000 bonus points."
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Originally Posted by prech

IHG's social-media rep on FT has confirmed that book/cancel will reset the expiration clock. See the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.