Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click 2020 track to elite status shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an earn or redeem activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Flying blue
Or book a reward night for you and your significant other. He/she might appreciate that more.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vexorg
Or book a reward night for you and your significant other. He/she might appreciate that more.
But surely we are mostly talking about infrequent IHG guests here with a few stays one year ago or more, but not during the past year since expiry introduced, and with relatively low pints balances , probably less than 25-50k
(Or non IHGers who did ok on a big win promo 2years ago and CC signups yet to use their 60k points )

If local IHG hotel is 30k and nearest 10k (or PB at 5k) costs $100 travelling, the booking and use of an unneeded award night kind of defeats the general idea and purpose of keeping alive your 25-50k points for future use as was historically the case without having to have any points activity
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: Flying blue
That's a lot of assumptions. If they want to keep their point then there must be something worth keeping in the amount.

Some of us have live out of the city and a night in the city costs not many points. Cheap public transport in too means you are also able to drink, lots of reasons, unless you don't love your partner, then your argument makes sense.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beltway
IHG's social-media rep on FT has confirmed that book/cancel will reset the expiration clock. See the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html
Much appreciated, thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:22 pm

I do not see point expiration date in my account!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by JCary
Are you a gold/plat?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Are you a gold/plat?
Platinum.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:46 am

Platinum.
If you have status (via any means, including as a credit card benefit), your points do not expire. As before, see the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html ("What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?").

Last edited by beltway; Feb 3, 2016 at 8:57 am
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by beltway
IHG's social-media rep on FT has confirmed that book/cancel will reset the expiration clock. See the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html
Can we trust IHG IT or IHG's accountants and management that much? If IHG don't obtain the expiring points windfall the accountants expected IHG can simply tighten up criteria for keeping accounts alive.

Why not just book any 10k award hotel for 12months out, then in 11 1/2 months time book another 10k award a further 12months out and cancel the original award, so that you always have live account activity of a future reservation

If less 10k < balance < 20k then you'll need cancel award first, and < 5k balance simply get the e-book for 3points
(I just bought the 3point ebook for my Accelerator2016 points spend task )

Keeping the award booking live is surely safer and you can get those points back in seconds when/if you need them.

I hope we don't get loads of IHG'ers who are about to lose points to expiry, booking/cancelling from the 5K PB nights, as cancelled PBs might not get restored to the bookable pool.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Can we trust IHG IT or IHG's accountants and management that much? If IHG don't obtain the expiring points windfall the accountants expected IHG can simply tighten up criteria for keeping accounts alive.

Why not just book any 10k award hotel for 12months out, then in 11 1/2 months time book another 10k award a further 12months out and cancel the original award, so that you always have live account activity of a future reservation

If less 10k < balance < 20k then you'll need cancel award first, and < 5k balance simply get the e-book for 3points
(I just bought the 3point ebook for my Accelerator2016 points spend task )

Keeping the award booking live is surely safer and you can get those points back in seconds when/if you need them.

I hope we don't get loads of IHG'ers who are about to lose points to expiry, booking/cancelling from the 5K PB nights, as cancelled PBs might not get restored to the bookable pool.
Can we trust IHG management and accountants? I'd trust them a damn site more than anything IHGs social media rep said almost a year ago that's for sure. Bearing in mind IHGs social media rep (IHGSteve) hasn't been seen or heard from for almost a year.

When you can redeem for three points there really is no need to run the risk of redeeming and cancelling rooms. At the end of the day three points is nothing for keeping your points alive and there will always be someone who forgets to cancel it and whilst the points go back to their account they get hit with a no-show to their CC.

I know we will never get to know but I would be really interested to hear what the potential write off is going to be here. I think you have probably called it right by calling it a windfall.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
I think you have probably called it right by calling it a windfall.
Yes I chose "Windfall" deliberately, since this first year when points balances expire provides a 1-off hit of old/legacy/dormant/unaware accounts and give IHG a comparitively large 1-off write down of points liability column in their accounts.

I am sure IHG knew last year when announcing this points expiring tweak exactly how many accounts had no activity keeping them alive, and thus knew exactly how many points will expire and can be written off in 1Q2016

For future years, there will no longer be that big initial pool of dormant account balances to write off (expire) and a far lower ongoing yearly write off is no doubt already in IHGs calculations for subsequent years after this years 1-off
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chrism20

When you can redeem for three points there really is no need to run the risk of redeeming and cancelling rooms. At the end of the day three points is nothing for keeping your points alive and there will always be someone who forgets to cancel it and whilst the points go back to their account they get hit with a no-show to their CC.
Why spend 3 points when making a booking and instantly cancelling is so easy and costs zero
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Yes I chose "Windfall" deliberately, since this first year when points balances expire provides a 1-off hit of old/legacy/dormant/unaware accounts and give IHG a comparitively large 1-off write down of points liability column in their accounts.

I am sure IHG knew last year when announcing this points expiring tweak exactly how many accounts had no activity keeping them alive, and thus knew exactly how many points will expire and can be written off in 1Q2016

For future years, there will no longer be that big initial pool of dormant account balances to write off (expire) and a far lower ongoing yearly write off is no doubt already in IHGs calculations for subsequent years after this years 1-off
Yeah there are probably hundreds of thousands of accounts out there with a few thousand points that have never been touched for years and will probably never be used. It will be some write off that's for sure. Even moving forward as you say it will never be the "Windfall" that this year will be the total written off will probably still be fairly significant given the number of people that probably tick the box to join as they are told at check-in wifi is free if they join whereas they have to pay if they don't. Each one of those sign ups generates 1,000 points into the account IIRC.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why spend 3 points when making a booking and instantly cancelling is so easy and costs zero
This

What activity doesn't count towards keeping my point balance active?

Any activity that doesn't change your point balance does not keep your point balance active. These activities include non-qualifying stays, logging into your account, or registering for promotions. Only activity that changes your point balance by either earning or redeeming points will count towards keeping your account balance active.
I wouldn't put it past IHG saying that the balance hasn't changed as you have simply booked and cancelled. I am probably being over-cautious but for the sake of three points I wouldn't risk it unless it was a very small amount of points being kept alive.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The balance is reduced by the cost of the stay and then increased by the cancellation

It also states where you didnt highlight

Only activity that changes your point balance by either earning or redeeming points will count towards keeping your account balance active.

I believe that for accounts where points expire , that there is a date of expiration and checking the value of this will prove whether it worked

I can't see a reason to spend more than zero points where a zero point activity is very quick and easy to do
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The balance is reduced by the cost of the stay and then increased by the cancellation

It also states where you didnt highlight

Only activity that changes your point balance by either earning or redeeming points will count towards keeping your account balance active.

I believe that for accounts where points expire , that there is a date of expiration and checking the value of this will prove whether it worked

I can't see a reason to spend more than zero points where a zero point activity is very quick and easy to do
Like I said I am probably being over cautious however if you book and cancel you have not redeemed as you have not spent any points you have simply moved them around.

Given IHGs IT system booking and cancelling will probably work and I understand what you are saying about a zero option being available, however for the sake of three points is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.