Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Yeah, IHG dining never works for me. I have tried several times (with a registered credit card) and I never get points. I do not wish to spend any money to save my points It's basically the principal of the thing now for me. I would rather lose 11,000 points than spend $1.
I have used the Marriott, Hilton and United dining, for both P1 and P2, and never had an issue with points posting. Weird
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by G2244
Curious if anyone knows how it will work when elite status expires? I am currently Platinum but that will expire on 12/31/22. Once we hit 2023, I will have no qualifying activities within the last 12 months (yet). Is there some grace period after elite (soft landing) or does it kick in right away and I should expect points to be expired (hard landing) on 1/1/23?
Thought I would follow up on this. In order to protect my points from expiring, I did attach a credit card to rewards network (dining) for IHG before the end of 2022 in order to have activity. In my case, that may not really have been necessary. IHG did give me a soft landing into 2023 status. Even though I had no stays in 2022 my Platinum level only dropped to Gold for 2023. That would have protected my points from expiring but glad I made sure either way.

Last edited by G2244; Mar 4, 2023 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:05 am

Hello,

These are the two recent activities in my account.

On Jul 13, 2022, I made a hotel reservation using points. The points were deducted from my account the same day.
On Oct 25, 2022 was my hotel stay. There is an activity under my account for that date, but for 0 points.

Can someone please let me me know when does my points expire? This July or Oct?

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:02 am
was jgoggan

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
Just as an update for those looking to extend expiration for cheap. Looking through the Rewards site, it appears that the game "Tiny Troopers" is now gone that used to be cheap. However, I just looked through the entire Games Special Offers and here are the current lowest:

Wickland - 50 points (normally 300, "discounted 80%")
The End: Inari's Quest - 100 points (normally 1150, "discounted 90%")
The Dweller - 150 points (normally 1450, "discounted 90%")

I did Wickland for 50 points and it was immediately in my account, extending my expiration. 👍
louie-m, Dockdogs and Arctic Troll like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.