Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: LH FTL
IHG points expiration has ben deferred to the end this year. Lowest point spending option which I found is the following:

City Press Careers (100 points)

https://digitalrewards.ihg.com/emagazines/details/35054-city-press-careers

Has anyone found a lower point option to keep the points alive? I guess no business travel affects many of us to keep the IHG rewards points alive (unless you have an IHG credit card or current status).
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There are some rumors on the credit card cert thread that IHG may soon announce an extension of those free night certs expiring 12/31. If they do, the same logic might lead them to also extend the 12/31 expiration pause date. I certainly wouldn't count on that, but if you're planning to keep points active with either a points purchase or an e-book redemption (both of which post activity right away), you may as well wait until the last week of the month, to find out if it's really needed or not.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:00 pm

I don't know about anybody else, but it seems that my expiration date has been moved to June of next year.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:47 pm

Same. Thanks for reporting this!
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by kevindavis338
I don't know about anybody else, but it seems that my expiration date has been moved to June of next year.
Same here. Odd that they did it without any notification. But it's nice to get another six months before I have to worry about these points expiring.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: LH FTL
Excellent, so points expiration is deferred now without any digital rewards purchase.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
How to check when your points expire?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The IHG site has been updated to confirm this:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until June 30, 2021 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
How to check when your points expire?
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Went there, it just shows the # of points, with a few random links. I also went to Activities, which just showed the last activities. I don't see any info about when points expiration.

Last edited by italdesign; Dec 22, 2020 at 12:55 pm
Old Dec 22, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Went there, it just shows the # of points, with a few random links. I also went to Activities, which just showed the last activities. I don't see any info about when points expiration.
Are you an elite member? If you have IHG status, that page will not show expiration as there is no expiration. If you have no status, that page will show an expiration date.

(For example, my account shows no expiration information, as I am a Platinum member. My mother's account shows 30 June 2021.)
italdesign likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 4:16 pm

It’s a little easier to find in the IHG app. Click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:30 am

Still sitting on 30/6/2021, I wonder if it will get pushed out again soon?
  • We have extended points expiry until June 30, 2021 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flashware
Still sitting on 30/6/2021, I wonder if it will get pushed out again soon?
  • We have extended points expiry until June 30, 2021 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
It looks like it has. The ihg covid advisory page is now saying:
  • We have extended points expiry until 31 December 2021 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity).
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now further extended to 31 December 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.