FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1743380-preventing-ihg-rewards-club-points-expiring.html)

prech Feb 1, 2016 12:55 pm

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Searched through some related threads, but didn't see this topic covered

Managing a few IHG accounts for myself and family and was reminded by AwardWallet that the new expiration date/rule occurs on May 1, 2016.

As we no longer have an active IHG card, is there an easy way to accrue/spend some points to extend the expiry date?

Glancing around the IHG Offers page, I didn't see something similar to to AAdvantage eShopping Mall where I can place a small order (e.g. Apple iTunes) and have it credited towards my rewards points.

Thanks for any tips or ideas!

Dave Noble Feb 1, 2016 1:01 pm

maybe making and cancelling an award reservation will reset the timer

miadukes Feb 1, 2016 1:20 pm

For the two accounts I dont use much in the last two years, marriott and hilton, I just bought the minimum points, I bet you can probably do that with IHG.

prech Feb 1, 2016 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 26116566)

Thanks, I do wonder if the award reservation/cancellation process will reset things. Will give this a crack first!

Wonder if any folks out there who've done this with IHG reward points can verify?

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 26116657)
For the two accounts I dont use much in the last two years, marriott and hilton, I just bought the minimum points, I bet you can probably do that with IHG.

Thanks, dug around and the most affordable points purchase seems to be $13.50 for 1000 points.

Alternately, IHG has a few different redemption/shopping options and the least costly purchase seems to be some digital music options at 300 points

Will keep digging around...

Saral Feb 1, 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by prech (Post 26116708)
Thanks, I do wonder if the award reservation/cancellation process will reset things. Will give this a crack first!

Wonder if any folks out there who've done this with IHG reward points can verify?

Thanks, dug around and the most affordable points purchase seems to be $13.50 for 1000 points.

Alternately, IHG has a few different redemption/shopping options and the least costly purchase seems to be some digital music options at 300 points

Will keep digging around...

You can get an ebook for 3 or 4 points

happychic Feb 1, 2016 2:45 pm

Participate in IHG Dining program.

pjran Feb 1, 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Saral (Post 26117024)
You can get an ebook for 3 or 4 points

I have received an email reminding me that my points expire shortly so came to look for advise from this forum. I can't find an option to spend points on an ebook on the IHG REWARD site, please could you post a link. Thank you.

JordanWalker Feb 1, 2016 8:26 pm

Would love a link to the ebook too.

catstvl Feb 1, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I logged into my families accounts and under account status where it say expires May 1 2016, click on How to keep my points next to date.A small box open and click on simply earn or redeem points.
Move down to digital rewards. Click on ebooks and look for children and teenagers option. I choose low price on right side. The book Brookdale and Beyond by Barry Lyga is 3 points. Hope this helps

BenSenise Feb 1, 2016 10:20 pm

i just downloaded a book for 3 points and it reset my points to one year from today.

so i went back to retrace my steps to explain it here but i can't!!! the interface is so terrible that i can't find the books again.

so get into your account, go to "redeem points" and search for books. they're there somewhere!

prech Feb 1, 2016 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by catstvl (Post 26119141)
Thanks for the reminder. I logged into my families accounts and under account status where it say expires May 1 2016, click on How to keep my points next to date.A small box open and click on simply earn or redeem points.
Move down to digital rewards. Click on ebooks and look for children and teenagers option. I choose low price on right side. The book Brookdale and Beyond by Barry Lyga is 3 points. Hope this helps

Thanks, I see it now. It's under digital rewards > ebooks.

http://i.imgur.com/qqpAZB6.png

odin99 Feb 1, 2016 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 26119143)
i just downloaded a book for 3 points and it reset my points to one year from today.

so i went back to retrace my steps to explain it here but i can't!!! the interface is so terrible that i can't find the books again.

so get into your account, go to "redeem points" and search for books. they're there somewhere!

great idea. had trouble finding the 3pt books, but found them. have to go to children/teen.

JordanWalker Feb 2, 2016 5:43 am

Tried the 0 points magazine. Sadly it didn't work. Guess I will have to part way with 3 points :D .....maybe later in April.

scubaccr Feb 2, 2016 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 26119143)

Not just useful to keep your points alive

Can be used for Accelerator2016 promotion. I think nearly everyone got the Task for 1000points.
Unlike some I don't have task to stay on either points or points+cash this quarter, and no points nights hotels needed or even good value for me in my upcoming locations

"Earn When You Redeem
You earned your points, now use them! Redeem your points for anything, from a digital download to Reward Nights, and you’ll earn 1,000 bonus points."

beltway Feb 2, 2016 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 26116566)

Originally Posted by prech (Post 26116708)

IHG's social-media rep on FT has confirmed that book/cancel will reset the expiration clock. See the wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ards-club.html