Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Temporary COVID-19 extension of point expiry until December 31, 2022:
"Points Expiration: Points never expire for all members with Elite status (Gold, Platinum and Spire) - a key benefit of our program. We have extended points expiry until December 31, 2022 for Club members (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity)."
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...isory-covid-19

Check current expiration on an account without elite status
Click on "points" in the top bar when logged in, or go here after logging in: https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/e...nt-mgmt/points
Since points do not expire for elite members (those with Gold, Platinum, or Spire status), for those accounts, no expiration information will be shown on this page. In the IHG app, click your name in the corner then click “2020 track to elite status” shown below your points total. The 3rd line on that page shows the point expiration date.

IHG T&C:
39. Point Expiration: Club level membership Points (see Member Benefits, including levels of membership, here) will expire if your membership account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer, which means your Points will be removed from your account and will no longer be available for redemption. To maintain the Points in your membership account, you must have at least one “earn” or “redeem” transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. Use of the one night per year provided to IHG One Rewards credit card holders does not constitute an “earn” or “redeem” activity to prevent Point expiration. Elite Members’ Points do not expire as long as Elite level membership is maintained.

How can I keep my IHG points from expiring after one year?

Various types of status or activity will reset the clock or even prevent it from running:
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programs like e-rewards or earning dining rewards points
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (like redeeming 3 points for an eBook). As noted in the T&C above, this no longer includes a booking that is later canceled.
Print Wikipost

Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy
Just to throw you a curve ball - Marriott also said redemption would count as qualifying activity to extend the expiration date of account. And Marriott clearly shows point expiration date regardless your status. HOWEVER, award booking does NOT reset the clock - because Marriott ONLY counts the consumed stays as eligible activity.

We have no idea how IHG would treat a reward booking that has yet to consume. As others point out, we have not seen any participation from the IHG Social Media rep for almost a year... Whoever trusts that quote would be putting his account at risk.

It is much safer to just redeem 3pts as some said if that is doable. Or, for those in the US, sign up the dining program and have a meal even though in my area the restaurants in the dining program are places I would never consider to go. But if I need to do something to keep my account alive, I would do it.
Have tested this out on an account with points expiring recently

Account had 6000 points and was due to expire in April 2016
Made 1 x pointsbreak booking and expiration date reset
Cancelled the booking , points were returned and points expiration date still nicely in the future
Was a no cost solution to dealing with expiring points
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:11 am

Couldn't find any 3 pointers out there.

Booked and canceled and I'm all set.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
FWIW ... I received an invitation to earn 1k miles for a survey.
Link is: https://www.opinioncheckin.com/en/ge...p=73.37.39.50&

However, I cannot tell whether this is targeted.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Opinion Check-in, like the other SSI programs, is open to all in countries where they have a contract for the program, though any sign-up bonuses for completing a first survey may vary.

At the least, they will give you 5 points for screening out of a survey, which will reset the account activity clock.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
At the least, they will give you 5 points for screening out of a survey, which will reset the account activity clock.
Do you happen to know how long it takes for the points to show up in one's account ?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Do you happen to know how long it takes for the points to show up in one's account ?
Immediately after screening out.

You can screen out five times a day and get five points each time, after the fifth time you get no points.

I've found clicking "unemployed" seems to very quickly earn you 25 points most days
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:45 pm

The first time with the SSI programs, it may take 36-72 hours to show up in your IHG or other loyalty programs. After that, it depends on how fast the loyalty program processes the points request on their end. IHG, Jet Blue and United are typically instant; Accor seems to commonly have a 12-48 hour lag most of the time.

(And if you're just in it for the DQ points, you do slightly better with the Jet Blue version of the program, where it's 10 points per DQ and once you get to 1,000 points, you can exchange them through points.com for about 650 IHG points)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:06 pm

The first time with the SSI programs, it may take 36-72 hours to show up in your IHG or other loyalty programs. After that, it depends on how fast the loyalty program processes the points request on their end. IHG, Jet Blue and United are typically instant; Accor seems to commonly have a 12-48 hour lag most of the time.

(And if you're just in it for the DQ points, you do slightly better with the Jet Blue version of the program, where it's 10 points per DQ and once you get to 1,000 points, you can exchange them through points.com for about 650 IHG points)
Thanks a lot for your great info !
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
Immediately after screening out.

You can screen out five times a day and get five points each time, after the fifth time you get no points.
Can confirm - awesome !

I've found clicking "unemployed" seems to very quickly earn you 25 points most days
Interesting !
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
my IHG points expired yesterday
however the balance is still there today and its a significant (to me) amount

I just purchased some points today although it says it will take up to 72 hours to post.

so my question is: How hard does IHG hold to that expiration date?
Am I likely to be fine or is it once the system catches up with the expiration from over the weekend I'm SOL.

Is there anything else I can do to try to save these points at this point in time?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:25 am

Since point stays are refundable and it's 'earn or use', I'd book one fairly far out and then cancel in a week or two if/when it looks like the balance has been preserved.

Or redeem for a cheap e-book
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Is there anything else I can do to try to save these points at this point in time?
If the points are still in your account, you could make a points-break booking - there are still locations available.
Cancel the booking whenever you feel comfortable.
The balance difference/activity will be immediate and points in account saved.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:05 am

Any link how to join the Jet Blue version, please?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Travelomania
If the points are still in your account, you could make a points-break booking - there are still locations available.
Cancel the booking whenever you feel comfortable.
The balance difference/activity will be immediate and points in account saved.
my points were still in my account yesterday. I purchased the points yesterday, the charge hit my card, overnight the points purchased posted and my balance increased by the amount of points purchased and my expiration was re-set to 2018.

so it appears I'm good. Not sure if the system didn't delete my points due to it being a weekend or if they (IHG) don't delete the points instantly and give you some unpublished buffer of time.

Either way it appears that I'm good for another year
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by kuraudrius
Any link how to join the Jet Blue version, please?
pointsforsurveys.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.