Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
Well my story is different. I wanted to go to Vilnius in July. Few days ago those dates are available, but airfares are high. So I thought to wait for few days to see whether airfares will be down a bit. Yes it did (airfares went down by 40%) finally two days ago. But the PB nights all sold out...
I know this is the IHG PB thread but Club Carlson has a Park Inn Vilnius for only 9K points, maybe that could help.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gya007
I'm having trouble believing that one fine day all nights at a PB hotel are suddenly sold-out. When I was looking at the Portland property, at least 3-5 different dates showed available (Remember - that's all the dates I searched for; I didn't come across a single date when the 5000 points room was unavailable). A couple days later, all rooms are sold out on all nights!!

It almost seems to me that the hotel has pulled out of the PB program. I've been told I'm wrong here, but I'm that's just my perception of this has unfolded for me...
Oh well the hotel shows redemption available but at normal rate...Gee...you can not win.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I'm planning a trip in early August, when will the August and September list be available? Date?
My guess is the last week of July.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
My guess is the last week of July.
It's not very convenient for someone planning a trip in the first few days of August. They should put June, July and August together in one block, and since we don't get a preview anymore...
I hope we get something on Monday the 28th of July or something, I think a preview on the 24th and 25th is out of the question with all the stir of the previous PB...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:19 am

It's not very convenient for someone planning a trip in the first few days of August. They should put June, July and August together in one block, and since we don't get a preview anymore...
I hope we get something on Monday the 28th of July or something, I think a preview on the 24th and 25th is out of the question with all the stir of the previous PB...
This kind of sucked for me too. I've got a trip from the beginning of the last week of July until the end of the first week of August. It would have been nice to have these on the same points break.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think a preview on the 24th and 25th is out of the question with all the stir of the previous PB...
There was no preview of the full list in the recent PB. Don't expect too much.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
If advance notice was deemed by IHG to lead to giving rogue people time to create scripts to grab best hotels, then better no notice is given so we all have equal chance if a convenient (or good value) hotel pops up on the PB List.

PB list also then gets blogged multiple places and spoonfeeds people who hardly ever stay at IHG the PB hotel names and they then rush to logon and cherrypick the best PB deals, whereas if they have to logon mid afternoon to check when list comes out if they like any PB hotels, they will mostly not bother.

I am happy if it goes back and I need look on the day and get a nice suprise if I can use any of the newly released PB hotels.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Of course, the individual planning a trip in early September would voice your same complaint -- someone will always get the short end of the stick with respect to their release dates.

I agree with Scubaccr, I much prefer to be surprised and have availability than lick my chops and then come up short!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubaccr
If advance notice was deemed by IHG to lead to giving rogue people time to create scripts to grab best hotels, then better no notice is given so we all have equal chance if a convenient (or good value) hotel pops up on the PB List.

PB list also then gets blogged multiple places and spoonfeeds people who hardly ever stay at IHG the PB hotel names and they then rush to logon and cherrypick the best PB deals, whereas if they have to logon mid afternoon to check when list comes out if they like any PB hotels, they will mostly not bother.

I am happy if it goes back and I need look on the day and get a nice suprise if I can use any of the newly released PB hotels.
The script is designed to notify the programmer changes in redemption rate. So in your scenario, those programmer will be the first to know. I have seen the screen shot of one of the scripts. It was specifically designed to catch the changes of redemption rate change to 5,000. The value was set at 5,000 point value. So the programmer was always the first to know the change as soon as IHG released it.

Then there is the second script to scoop the night they want...

I would prefer IHG to add a regional lock. i.e. you can not book the PB hotel if it is in the same state of member's address for last year (and it would be country for some of our dear friends).
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
The script is designed to notify the programmer changes in redemption rate. So in your scenario, those programmer will be the first to know. I have seen the screen shot of one of the scripts. It was specifically designed to catch the changes of redemption rate change to 5,000. The value was set at 5,000 point value. So the programmer was always the first to know the change as soon as IHG released it.

Then there is the second script to scoop the night they want...

I would prefer IHG to add a regional lock. i.e. you can not book the PB hotel if it is in the same state of member's address for last year (and it would be country for some of our dear friends).
OK with enough time any coding is possible including to scan the worldwide stock of IHG hotels though I would not want to give these China programmers loads of ideas.

There is a big difference in coding a first script to repeatedly scan for a specific hotel (or small set of known hotels) already pre-published as being on new PB list and notify programmer as soon as 5k rate is available....as against programming to scan all IHG hotels for 5K

If programmer is looking to only book hotels in their immediate area they could code for all interesting hotels in their immediate target area/state/country though.

IHG in March knew something was up right away, due to impossible speed with which the China IC PB allocation was exhausted, and IHG took, to me, reasonable measures to prevent the profiteering by revoking many of the suspect bookings.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not. California is a big state, and I would not like to be locked out of PointsBreaks in San Francisco or Sacramento just because I live a 7 hour drive away in Los Angeles.

Without the least bit of scamming, I have used PointsBreaks within my state before (even much closer than a 7 hours drive), because they matched up with my weekend travels.

But isn't there already a restriction to only 2 reservations per member per PB cycle?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...n-changes.html
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But isn't there already a restriction to only 2 reservations per member per PB cycle?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...n-changes.html
Yes. Have anyone run into problems/limitations here yet?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I have been able to book 7 rooms for a weekend stay of a group = 7 different reservations with pointbreaks, and I asked the hotel "is everything OK", they replied OK.
Stayed 2 weeks ago, all went fine.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by FFlash
I have been able to book 7 rooms for a weekend stay of a group = 7 different reservations with pointbreaks, and I asked the hotel "is everything OK", they replied OK.
Stayed 2 weeks ago, all went fine.
Sounds like another audit option for IHG whenever they feel like.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:35 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by skaya
Sounds like another audit option for IHG whenever they feel like.
IHG is one of the most aggressive in this way, like suddenly you can login to your acct and points are missing or indeed the whole acct is goine. Like who would make IHG your primary program if there is no warring no advance notice... nothing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.