Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
any google map available for this PB list?
Old May 27, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by travelismylife
Question about this 2 res. restriction- does 4 rooms for 1 night violate this? I am able to book more than 2 rooms (4 res. total) for the same night at one hotel. Is this a glitch or not? If it's a glitch, should I cancel the 3rd and 4th room so as to not have my account closed if they catch this?
Being a new rule, it may not have been implemented perfectly (yet).
I wouldn't worry about being shut down.
If the system confirms it, you are probably OK.

Not a single IC...maybe not surprising,
not sure if it is the first time.

Not one in China... I think THAT is a "first" !!
Old May 27, 2014, 11:35 am

Worst. List. Ever.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by travelismylife
Question about this 2 res. restriction- does 4 rooms for 1 night violate this? I am able to book more than 2 rooms (4 res. total) for the same night at one hotel. Is this a glitch or not? If it's a glitch, should I cancel the 3rd and 4th room so as to not have my account closed if they catch this?
Can you reserve this on one reservation? Then no, it doesn't violate it (it mentions reservations, it doesn't to my knowledge mention number of rooms).

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, it's a great deal if it works for you, but sadly, most of these hotels are in hick towns that nobody visits.
I've previously stayed at at least 1 of the hotels on the list -HI Genoa City, certainly not a hick town. A bit of a hidden gem on this list actually - while not a lot right in the vicinity, an easy bus ride to the heart of Genoa, and right in front of the harbour, so ideal if you're cruising from there.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Downtown Montreal is nice- got four nights there, and a few nights in New Jersey. Underwhelming list but I expected this. People have too many points from the Big Win, and it is summertime. No reason to giveaway expensive properties!
Old May 27, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Downtown Montreal is nice-
Downtown montreal would be real nice... but is Laval anywhere close to that?
Old May 27, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelisfree
Nope. It is not even on the same island
Old May 27, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Can you reserve this on one reservation? Then no, it doesn't violate it (it mentions reservations, it doesn't to my knowledge mention number of rooms).
A stupid limitation, but award nights reservations are 1 room per reservation...
So if the OP wants 4 rooms on award, he need 4 reservations.

Since the rule is new, I think the OP (the guy with 4 reservations) will be our guinea pig. Unfortunately, it is entirely possible for ICH to cancel his reservation, or change it to the regular 20K+ points. I suggest he keep a very close eye on his reservation and point balance, and keep all paperwork. Also, have backup reservations somewhere in case they do cancel.

I am also a little shocked at the lack of international destination, even though it is holiday travel season.

I may be able to use the Milan airport HIX and Montreal location for different friends. I'm personally looking for rooms along the east coast for an upcoming road trip. I'm looking for that "map" as well. The new reservation website is not easy to scan for PB near where I want to stay...
Old May 27, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Can you reserve this on one reservation?
Then no, it doesn't violate it ....
I always thought rewards nights could only be booked one room at a time.
To check, I just tried to book 2 rooms one night at Medford OR,
and the system changed my 2-room request to one room at 5000...
Old May 27, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Google map say ~34 minutes to downtown. In my experience, its not much worst than staying at the airport (usually the cheapest rates).
Old May 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Downtown Montreal is nice-

There are two hotels in Montreal on the PB list, one is Laval and one is actually Downtown. Check it out
Old May 27, 2014, 12:20 pm

HI Genoa City, certainly not a hick town. A bit of a hidden gem on this list actually - while not a lot right in the vicinity, an easy bus ride to the heart of Genoa, and right in front of the harbour, so ideal if you're cruising from there.
Just don't try to use their car park. It takes about 10 cars but they jigsaw in about 18. They rang me at 5.30 in the morning, after a late arrival, to ask me to move my car because it was blocking someone (at their direction). When I got down, it wasn't my car that needed to move.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Worse list ever.

No IC.

No properties in China? Seriously?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
The Montreal HIX downtown is a great location, I know that area very well. You won't regret it, supermarket IGA closely, metro stations, you are on René-Levesque Blvd between Saint-Denis and Saint-Laurent, it's fairly quiet at night IMHO. It's not the IC down the road, but quite the value in this case. I would not stay at the HI Laval, when you can be in the middle of it all at the HIX downtown.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; May 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IHG has hit a new low. They're done giving.
Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, it's a great deal if it works for you, but sadly, most of these hotels are in hick towns that nobody visits.
I really don't know what folks are expecting with this. I guess they've thrown in a few "surprising" hotels over the years, which has raised expectations. But let's face it: it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere and that means it's time for most hotels there to make some money on leisure travel. I NEVER expect to book a vacation from this list; just to hopefully find a couple of hotels in cities that I'm passing through. I EXPECT these hotels to be odd, and certainly not their best, most convenient, and most expensive properties.

Still, a lot of these "odd" random HIX and Staybridges can cost $120+ night, or 20,000+ points, so I'm grateful when I can pick up a couple of almost-free nights.

If you want more from the PointBreaks program, I think you're going to be disappointed every time a new list comes out. Personally, I'm glad there's "a list" at all, since none of the other chains do anything like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.