Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
HIX Freeport-Brunswick, ME
Long, long gone.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
I have an interesting observation:

I booked this hotel last night (2 nights), and this morning, I cancelled it because I can't use it. I noticed the cancellation policy as being NONE (i.e. you lose your money). I went ahead and cancelled anyway. Then I checked my activities. I did not see any activities for the Montreal book nor cancellation. (I saw all my other booking/cancellations around the same time/dates) Since I don't keep count of my points that closely, I don't know if ICH kept my 10,000 points... I can see the cancelled reservations.
It should say

(Date) Reward Night stay reversal 5,000 pts.

on your activity. They don't keep it, full refund of the points.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by waygora
It should say

(Date) Reward Night stay reversal 5,000 pts.

on your activity. They don't keep it, full refund of the points.
Yes, I know that. I'm saying that I don't see the points being taken away NOR reversed in the ACTIVITIES... Its like I never booked the Montreal PB. However, I know I'm not dreaming because I see the cancelled booking in my reservations... I also see booking (point deduction) and reversals (points refunded) from the same 2 days in my ACTIVITIES. It appears it is only the Montreal hotel PB booking that not showing up at all. It was also the only PB I booked that had an explicit no-cancellation policy.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:47 pm

chunky - I have also booked the HIX Montreal Downtown and can confirm they offer a full refund of points for rewards nights, as per standard for IHG hotels.

Perhaps unrelated, but I have had screwy experiences at this hotel, including confirmed qualifying stays booked through IHG not posting at all despite being listed in my account.

Taken directly from the reservation at HIX Montreal:

Rate Type:
Reward Nights

Modify or Cancel Policy:
Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on (CHECK-IN DAY) will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on (CHECK-IN DAY), or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:45 am

Any idea how horrible the Crown Plaza in Union City, CA is? Even when the list came out it was the only SF Bay Area hotel on the list (and just about the only Crown Plaza). Tripadvisor reviews seem below par. But for 5,000 points, I'm happy as long as the place is tolerable.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by LawFly
Any idea how horrible the Crown Plaza in Union City, CA is? Even when the list came out it was the only SF Bay Area hotel on the list (and just about the only Crown Plaza). Tripadvisor reviews seem below par. But for 5,000 points, I'm happy as long as the place is tolerable.
In short: This is not any better than the average American HI/HIX. It is "tolerable".

Tripadvisor review say it is 3 circles (out of 5.). That is above average. The location isn't bad. It is very close to highway and very short drive to Walmart and other conveniences. Parking is safe. Location is relatively quiet. I don't like the long walk to the other buildings from the lobby in the main building. The rooms are old, but clean and comfortable. I stayed there twice (2012, 2013), both times on PB. For me, the purpose of a hotel is to provide a comfortable bed, hot shower, and secure parking for my car during my stop. If you have the same view, this is a good hotel. If you want a sparkly lobby, new buildings, good restaurant, and a fast elevator, this is not the hotel for you.

Then again, putting things in perspective, $35 (5000pt) gets you a SF area hotel during peak tourist season.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by chunky649
In short: This is not any better than the average American HI/HIX. It is "tolerable".

Tripadvisor review say it is 3 circles (out of 5.). That is above average. The location isn't bad. It is very close to highway and very short drive to Walmart and other conveniences. Parking is safe. Location is relatively quiet. I don't like the long walk to the other buildings from the lobby in the main building. The rooms are old, but clean and comfortable. I stayed there twice (2012, 2013), both times on PB. For me, the purpose of a hotel is to provide a comfortable bed, hot shower, and secure parking for my car during my stop. If you have the same view, this is a good hotel. If you want a sparkly lobby, new buildings, good restaurant, and a fast elevator, this is not the hotel for you.

Then again, putting things in perspective, $35 (5000pt) gets you a SF area hotel during peak tourist season.
I am in full agreement.
I had to stay there a few times due to no other IHG available in South Bay. Not normal CP standard due to age but it is priced competitively for the area.

At 5000pts I have booked it for July 2014 visit to Bay Area.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Well, hopefully better late than never. Here's a map of the properties, now fully color-coded markers based upon the property type (Crowne Plaza, HIX, etc...). To view the map, head here: IHG/PriorityClub PointBreaks List Through July 31, 2014. Hope you guys find it useful!

Great map, thanks!
Old May 30, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Hooray for IHG PB Map!

Well, hopefully better late than never. Here's a map of the properties, now fully color-coded markers based upon the property type (Crowne Plaza, HIX, etc...). To view the map, head here: IHG/PriorityClub PointBreaks List Through July 31, 2014. Hope you guys find it useful![/URL]
jmgriffin, IHG should pay you for preparing maps like this. It's very helpful to me in deciding if and where I want to stay in their properties.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:56 am

Where is the "snazzy Indigo north of Chicago"? Thanks!
I also see four hotels in IL, no Indigo.
ILLINOIS
HOLIDAY INN HOTEL AND SUITES BOLINGBROOK
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS HIGHLAND
CANDLEWOOD SUITES BLOOMINGTON-NORMAL
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES JACKSONVILLE

Originally Posted by stigs
After a few underwhelming lists, this one is terrific for the urban traveler in North America. Nice to finally see a broad selection of above-average properties near major urban centers.

Like many have reiterated on here, people need to have realistic expectations during peak travel season. The elimination of ICs - which really have no business being on PB - is perfectly fine by me, especially if it means more properties near dynamic living cities with actual attractions as opposed to remote mining and farming towns.

As for individual properties, while a bit worn, you can't beat HIX Downtown Montreal during the world-class Jazz Festival or F1 race weekend, the most expensive weeks of the year in Montreal with every hotel sold out. Laval's HI is pleasant and a solid backup option for a quieter retreat with the potential to avoid the highways and take the subway downtown from the nearby station.

Also a very attractive Staybridge Suites in Oakville and a decent CP in downtown Hamilton. But a rough ride into Toronto with the ever-congested Gardiner reduced to two lanes.

Shifting to the U.S., there's the gorgeous CP at the Milwaukee Airport, a snazzy Indigo north of Chicago and top-rated Staybridge in Eagan, MN, just south of the MSP airport, all with rates north of $120/night. This will be a fun midwestern baseball/microbrewery tour, thank you IHG.

Common sense would dictate that the representation of hotels by country should be directly proportionate to the actual number of IHG properties there, not the local population. Nice to finally see IHG clamp down on the hoarders and punish regions known for re-selling rooms. Keep it up!
Old May 30, 2014, 11:00 am

very useful, million thanks.

Well, hopefully better late than never. Here's a map of the properties, now fully color-coded markers based upon the property type (Crowne Plaza, HIX, etc...). To view the map, head here: IHG/PriorityClub PointBreaks List Through July 31, 2014. Hope you guys find it useful!

Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Well, hopefully better late than never. Here's a map of the properties, now fully color-coded markers based upon the property type (Crowne Plaza, HIX, etc...)
very helpful....great job....^^
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:29 am

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=jmgriffin;22935784]Well, hopefully better late than never. Here's a map of the properties, now fully color-coded markers based upon the property type (Crowne Plaza, HIX, etc...). To view the map, head here: IHG/PriorityClub PointBreaks List Through July 31, 2014. Hope you guys find it useful!

any chance you could overlay world population distribution on top of this and shoot a copy to IHG upper management... they seem geographically unaware.

cheers for taking the time to do this each list.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
any chance you could overlay world population distribution on top of this and shoot a copy to IHG upper management... they seem geographically unaware.

cheers for taking the time to do this each list.
It's not IHG's job to try to provide cheap hotel room deals proportionately throughout the world. The properties that want to participate are those that feel they can get ahead by offering a low-rate points deal on a short term basis, for rooms they don't think they'll be able to fill at cash rates.

And that means you'll get a bunch of typically suburban and rural locations, not big Asian cities.

Last edited by jerry305; Jun 1, 2014 at 11:03 am Reason: Fix quote macro that was screwed up earlier in the thread
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
[QUOTE=jerry305;22959297]
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

It's not IHG's job to try to provide cheap hotel room deals proportionately throughout the world. The properties that want to participate are those that feel they can get ahead by offering a low-rate points deal on a short term basis, for rooms they don't think they'll be able to fill at cash rates.

And that means you'll get a bunch of typically suburban and rural locations, not big Asian cities.
Are you sure the list is voluntary for the hotels? I've always been under the impression that it was IHG who choose who would be on the list and hotels would simply have to accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.