Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by ajamieson
* Likewise for the credit card, completely no sign of such activity.
I've gone through my second complete billing cycle with my new-and-only-taken-out-for-the-big-win-promotion Visa card....

....not a sausage.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by whimike
Either the mobile app or website can be used for this challenge. So, you should be able to use the iPhone App, Android App, or any IHG Website. I would have thought this would mean the mobile IHG web, but the way the T&C's read, it could be argued that even the standard desktop IHG website should qualify.

The T&C's of the "IHG Mobile App Booking" challenge states:

"Bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be rewarded after required number of qualifying stays are booked on any IHG web or mobile apps between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive)"

It then states this:

"For a complete list of IHG web and mobile apps please Click here."

And, the "click here" link goes to a page that basically shows nothing.
Right, that page is blank for me too. What are the chances that IHG will at some point say bookings made on the website thru a regular browser (not an app) won't count? Has IHG confirmed that standard website bookings do count for that Big Win task?

I do not use an app, and so far my bookings have not counted for this Big Win promo.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I do not use an app, and so far my bookings have not counted for this Big Win promo.
Well I did use the app, and I haven't had a single sign of activity for this task on the Big Win page either. So unless it's a special web link that none of us can access, we can conclude the tracking is broken.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
For Ambassador members who do you contact for missing points? Ambassador email or Customer Care?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Has IHG confirmed that standard website bookings do count for that Big Win task?
It has been reported here several times that they have.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:16 pm
alc

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
For Ambassador members who do you contact for missing points? Ambassador email or Customer Care?
I always email the Ambassador team for any inquiry.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, that page is blank for me too. What are the chances that IHG will at some point say bookings made on the website thru a regular browser (not an app) won't count? Has IHG confirmed that standard website bookings do count for that Big Win task?

1. I was told by an IHG CS person (after complaining that my Andriod 2.2 phone doesn't work with their Andriod 2.3+ requirements app) that web booking would count. (And someone else upthread posted an email from IHG which said the same thing.)

2. Since my first 2 stays haven't posted to my "mobile booking" task yet, and since the T&C talk about the mobile web site, I booked my latest reservation using the mobile web site (ihg.com on your smart phone or tablet). It's not quite the same as the regular website, and per the T&C it should count as "mobile". (If you click on the correct "wrong" link in the T&Cs, you get a list of "mobile & web apps", and one of them that talks about is the mobile web site. Btw, one of the others it mentions is a Windows 8.1 app, but if you've got Windows 8.1, don't bother; that app is broken, and it lets you search but doesn't let you actually book!!!)

3. People who booked through the app are also mostly not seeing their "mobile booking" task register it, so the problem we are having is that 2.5 months in, we have not enough data points to prove whether you need something "more mobile" than the regular website or not.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have used an app once for booking, and only one stay has counted towards that qualification ... NOT the app one!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:42 am

What if one has a feature phone and thus no mobile apps/internet on the phone, etc. That can be disputed as discriminatory, what say?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sbalasu3
What if one has a feature phone and thus no mobile apps/internet on the phone, etc. That can be disputed as discriminatory, what say?
Seriously?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
This has been very frustrating.

I've completed all of the challenges in my Big Win.

However.... The survey appearded, then disaapeared, then reappeared and has disappeared again

I book threee reservations using the Mobile App, three using the web, and still showing nothing.

Of course the credit for "completing all the task also hasn't posted"
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mromero07
Seriously?
It's US of A. Anything is possible. Remember how one can participate in some promotions and sweepstakes without purchasing anything?. Just they have to mail some info.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sbalasu3
It's US of A. Anything is possible. Remember how one can participate in some promotions and sweepstakes without purchasing anything?. Just they have to mail some info.
That's because that's the law when you have sweepstakes. Claiming (or whining, I should say) discrimination because someone chooses not to own a smartphone and not being eligible it's like someone suing their parents for being born stupid. I suppose I could claim discrimination by the airlines since they charge so much more for a first class ticket and I can only afford the cheap ones in coach.

Maybe borrow a friend's phone for a few minutes to make a booking?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Wow that's really up there! Esp asking for 5 ICs, 5 Diff Brands and 25 total nights?! Are you a referred RA or an Earned RA? If you're an Earned RA then I guess thats why...
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Your profile says you are a Royal Ambassador. That implies you do a few nights a year, at least 60. So, having a big win saying you should do 25 nights in 1/3 of a year is not at all crazy I think.
I've been RA consecutively 9 years since 2005, last year I had only about total 61 or 63 nights but it was just good enough to have my RA status renewed as usual. 25 nights in 1/3 of a year doesn't sound crazy at all even though my hotel stays are not evenly seasonally distributed, but don't forget beside 25 nights, I need to stay 5 different IC hotels, 5 different brands, 3 different HI hotels and 4 Saturday nights. All other hurdles make the whole thing risible and ludicrous.

Besides, I think the hurdles will be easier for the typical 1 night stayer to achieve, but I usually stay at a same hotel at least 3 or 4 nights, sometimes 1 week. If IHG had a better software program that could analyse individual's travel/hotel staying pattern/history in order to generate the more achievable hurdles, it wouldn't come out those risible figures.

For those who have tougher criteria than I have and were able to complete them all, all I can say is congratulations, you deserve it!

PS. A successful campaign/promotion is to encourage your customers to buy your products MORE, not to encourage your customers to switch to buy your competitors' products. The big win promotion obviously fails to serve its purpose. After I received the tough criteria for this promotion, I immediately switched some of my stays to Hilton, knowing that there were no possible ways I could make it.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Mar 27, 2014 at 2:12 am Reason: adding comments
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:33 am

Gordon

I echo your views totally. The BIG WIN has encouraged me to open HILTON, CLUB CARLSON & BEST WESTERN accounts. I plan to continue using IHG but less frequently. The plan is to stay exactly 40 nights this year including approx. 10 reward nights to retain platinum status & with the other nights I stay away I'll basically assess the other 3 hotel groups to evaluate the best value for me at that particular time.

The BIG WIN is certainly flawed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.