Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Has anyone had any issues with IHG changing the Big Win challenges midway through the promotion?

One of our challenges was 'start the day off right' (2,400 points) where we had to book 2 nights on a 'best flexible rate with breakfast' which we had done for two upcoming stays, however they have changed the requirement of this particular challenge to now "book now and stay with us before 30 April 2014 with IHG Great Value Package to receive 2,400 points. Available at participating IHG hotels in Asia, Middle East and Africa."

The annoying thing is that we did stay at 2 of the eligible hotels being the CP NRT & HI SYD Airport however not on the 'Great Value Package' as this was never one of our challenges when The Big Win 2014 was released & we made our hotel reservations.

It was only when we got back from that trip & were checking if the IHG points had posted that we noticed the challenge had changed completely.

Another problem we had was with the 'getaway with a win' (6,000 points) challenge to stay at a Holiday Inn Resort. When we clicked on the link to view the full list of participating hotels it did not display any properties so we called IHG who told us it was any property on the www.holidayinnresorts.com website so we booked 3 nights at Cabo San Lucas (SJD).

Now the link is up & running it lists the hotels however does not include Mexico but a whole lot of other countries.

If we were able to complete all 7 challenges we would have received a bonus 45,000 points but IHG account manager who called us (after posting on the IHG FB page said it's 3 nights in China. The T&C's mention China as being a 3 night minimum however you can stay at plenty of other countries as well however I think it's only a minimum 1 night stay outside China.

It's clear that IHG themselves don't even understand the eligibility criteria of their own offers.
I did not have this specific issue but did have one where the emails they were sending up with 'progress updates' were different to what was on the dashboard. It took several weeks to get it sorted, luckily I had took a screen shot of all my offers when I first registered and it had my details on it so they did eventually fix it. A few others have mentioned about challenges changing especially in the last ten days or so therefore you are definitely not alone. If you have an email with your progress or a copy of the instal challenges you should be able to sort it with them.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Just this morning my 'Book with IHG' points have finally come through!

It's been done manually I assume, as the description on my IHG statement is "The Big Win - Recovery". However, upon logging into bigwin.ihg.com I am still told that the offer hasn't been completed - thus my 'Win Big for 25k points' won't track

I'll give it a few days whilst things even out and scripts run, and if nothing else happens it may be time for another CS email.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
After reading over these pages over the past couple, I have come to the conclusion that this round of the Big Win has been a major headache for a lot of people!

I had initially planned to do the Big Win... but with the current promotion of being able to buy points and get a 100% bonus, it is a no brainer for me... I am just going to buy the points. I will end up with 16K more points than I would have achieved with the Big Win... and for a lot less money and headache in the long run.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just got the following email.

That’s an impressive string of wins you‘ve put together. You should see 17,200 bonus points added to your total points balance very soon. Now here’s even better news—you’re only one win away from The Big Win. Complete one more offer before April 30 and you’ll have earned 19,000 bonus points. Your opportunity to take advantage of all that IHG® Rewards Club has to offer has never been this close.
What's missing is:

Book 3 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our best price guarantee and receive 2,200 POINTS
Sigh, that was done along with all my reservations/stays.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Just got the following email.

What's missing is:

Sigh, that was done along with all my reservations/stays.
I got the same crap, when I wrote back and told them, I got the "4-6 weeks" standard BS reply....
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by miffSC
I had initially planned to do the Big Win... but with the current promotion of being able to buy points and get a 100% bonus, it is a no brainer for me... I am just going to buy the points. I will end up with 16K more points than I would have achieved with the Big Win... and for a lot less money and headache in the long run.
Yes and no. It depends on whether you need to stay in a hotel.

When my Big Win bonus posts I'll have earned about 85k points during the promotion. (That figure includes room rate points, elite bonus, and a few small stackable promos.) I spent about $1,000 on hotel stays. From a strict cost-per-point perspective that's 1.176cpp (cents per point). With the 100% bonus points promo I can buy a large number of points outright for 0.575cpp. That's less than half the cost. But it's not that simple. I needed those hotel stays I spent $1000 on. If I hadn't stayed with IHG I would have stayed with another hotel chain and spent about the same amount of money.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by underpressure
I got the same crap, when I wrote back and told them, I got the "4-6 weeks" standard BS reply....
Wednesday will be exactly 6 weeks from checkout, so I'll just pester them again.

Really bad customer service from PC, but they never got it right and possibly never will.

I won't let this go, because 53k hangs on it.

And a final note - this whole BigWin might bring some more new business their way, but surely pisses off a lot of old business with (next to) impossible goals. I stayed spot on the absolute minimum amount to fulfill the BW and spent everthing else elsewere. Quite an eye-opener, but surely not what PC intended
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Wednesday will be exactly 6 weeks from checkout, so I'll just pester them again.

Really bad customer service from PC, but they never got it right and possibly never will.

I won't let this go, because 53k hangs on it.

And a final note - this whole BigWin might bring some more new business their way, but surely pisses off a lot of old business with (next to) impossible goals. I stayed spot on the absolute minimum amount to fulfill the BW and spent everthing else elsewere. Quite an eye-opener, but surely not what PC intended
As of today I am 6 week and one day of the Big Win site updating and my points have not shown up in my account. I did the missing points form on Monday and got the 4-6 weeks response. I also spend my nights elsewhere other then last week when I didn't have a choice.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
How do you use the missing points form to ask for Big Win credit exactly?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
How do you use the missing points form to ask for Big Win credit exactly?
Just normally and put some explanation in the text box. Not that it helps
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
.....And a final note - this whole BigWin might bring some more new business their way, but surely pisses off a lot of old business ...
I am going to be really disappointed if I ever fall for it again....

1 stay at a HI I had used Ice bags and then cockroaches in the morning.
1 Stay at HIX I had left over soap in the shower
1 stay at Staybridge I had inop icemaker for the second time in three months
1 stay at HIX I had a plugged toilet (on arrival)
1 stay at a HIX got walked (as a Platinum)
1 stay at HI had the wrong "rate code" entered for Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast after I asked at checkin.

Now keep in mind, this was on 8 stays and 9 nights. (I still have one to go)

(Which reminds me, I need to make some cancellations)

Last edited by underpressure; Apr 13, 2014 at 5:35 am
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
Question DIAMOND?!

1 stay at a HIX got walked (as a diamond)
Did I miss something?!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Yes and no. It depends on whether you need to stay in a hotel.

When my Big Win bonus posts I'll have earned about 85k points during the promotion. (That figure includes room rate points, elite bonus, and a few small stackable promos.) I spent about $1,000 on hotel stays. From a strict cost-per-point perspective that's 1.176cpp (cents per point). With the 100% bonus points promo I can buy a large number of points outright for 0.575cpp. That's less than half the cost. But it's not that simple. I needed those hotel stays I spent $1000 on. If I hadn't stayed with IHG I would have stayed with another hotel chain and spent about the same amount of money.
Yes...and I agree with you. If it works with your planned stay schedule, then it totally makes sense. During the last promotion, with several stays qualifying for multiple targets, I was able to complete everything with four stays. The cost was less than $400....
At a minimum, for this challenge requiring 7 nights and multiple brands, I would have had to complete a couple of MRs ( which I really try to avoid). Other travel plans just involved other hotel promotions this go round.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I am going to be really disappointed if I ever fall for it again....

1 stay at a HI I had used Ice bags and then cockroaches in the morning.
1 Stay at HIX I had left over soap in the shower
1 stay at Staybridge I had inop icemaker for the second time in three months
1 stay at HIX I had a plugged toilet (on arrival)
1 stay at a HIX got walked (as a diamond)
1 stay at HI had the wrong "rate code" entered for Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast after I asked at checkin.

Now keep in mind, this was on 8 stays and 9 nights. (I still have one to go)

(Which reminds me, I need to make some cancellations)
Originally Posted by Flamewing
Did I miss something?!

Well, apparently this is how stays go at HI/HIX when you tell them to use your HHonors#.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I have 2 stays over last weekend at 2 different cities (both HI). One is a Saturday night stay and the other is on Sunday night stay. The one on Sunday has posted 2 days ago, but not the one on Saturday stay.

I am seeking for a missing points claim but this will take a while, and I need this to be credited to complete the Big Win challenge. Will this affect the completion of task? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.