Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:23 pm

Hi,

I've found a BRG as part of a trip to Poland in a couple of months. I've done BRGs before and it all looks fine, but I'm not sure about which currency is relevant here. The IC Warsaw seems to be billing in Euros (which is great for a BRG), but the HI and HIX seem to bill in Zlotys (which is obviously what I would expect in Poland), and makes me wonder if the IC also actually bills in Zlotys and the Euro price is just an IT issue or something.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before, where a hotel charges in a different currency to the local, in relation to a BRG?

I want to put in a BRG for the IC, but don't want to find out it's ineligible due to the comparison actually needing to be in Zlotys.

Many thanks for any assistance!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dennycrane1
Hi,

I've found a BRG as part of a trip to Poland in a couple of months. I've done BRGs before and it all looks fine, but I'm not sure about which currency is relevant here. The IC Warsaw seems to be billing in Euros (which is great for a BRG), but the HI and HIX seem to bill in Zlotys (which is obviously what I would expect in Poland), and makes me wonder if the IC also actually bills in Zlotys and the Euro price is just an IT issue or something.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before, where a hotel charges in a different currency to the local, in relation to a BRG?

I want to put in a BRG for the IC, but don't want to find out it's ineligible due to the comparison actually needing to be in Zlotys.

Many thanks for any assistance!
OTA must bill (not just display) in the hotel currency quoted on searched IHG hotel.

It is not unusual, for example IC Bucharest, Romania, on IHG.COM displays EUROs but by law must bill at hotel in Romanian currency (RON).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
OTA must bill (not just display) in the hotel currency quoted on searched IHG hotel.

It is not unusual, for example IC Bucharest, Romania, on IHG.COM displays EUROs but by law must bill at hotel in Romanian currency (RON).
Hi Scubbacr,

Thanks for that. I'm still a bit confused though, because as you say - the ota must bill in the same currency "quoted" on IHG (which I think I'm right in saying must be the currency at the final screen before booking on the ihg website?). In this case, the currency quoted by IHG is Euros (and the ota bills in euros), but I'm not certain what IHG actually bills in here (and whether this would make a difference to a brg).

In the Bucharest example, do you happen to know whether Euros or RON are billed by ihg when booking an advance nonrefundable rate?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dennycrane1
Hi Scubbacr,

Thanks for that. I'm still a bit confused though, because as you say - the ota must bill in the same currency "quoted" on IHG (which I think I'm right in saying must be the currency at the final screen before booking on the ihg website?). In this case, the currency quoted by IHG is Euros (and the ota bills in euros), but I'm not certain what IHG actually bills in here (and whether this would make a difference to a brg).

In the Bucharest example, do you happen to know whether Euros or RON are billed by ihg when booking an advance nonrefundable rate?

Thanks again!
Doesn't matter what hotel bills your IHG.COM reservations CC card at either in advance on ADR or at hotel for flex.

For BRG purposes, only displayed currency on IHG.COM when searching and making a reservation matters when matching to an OTA currency.

PS
fyi in my IC Bucharest Example, the IC hotel charges credit cards in RON, despite the email reservation being in Euro. IC Bucharest converts eg 100Euro to 450Ron, then invoices you for 450Ron.
For Romania it is a legal requirement to bill in local RON currency. In fact I can pay (and have) bill in cash, either RON or EUROs, but after knockin nn RON off total, they will convert my Euro->RON for the remainder of the bill.

(As an aside, by Romanian Law, Hotel can only accept RON+EURO, they can't accept eg GBP, as a license is needed... found out can't use GBP cash my new year stay)

EG IHG.COM reservation in Euro, IC Bucharest convert to Euro->Ron, and bill my UK CC card in GBP
(I just see RON and GBP, not the Euro equivalent on my CC statement, a real pain )
eg my CC shows £105.40 (566RON at ex-rate 5.21 ) thats about 130Euro

SO.... IHG.COM reservation in Euro,
IC Bucharest convert to Euro->Ron for Billing, and bill RON to my UK CC card which then shows up as GBP on my CC statement Debit line below.

Fin: COMP HOTELIERA INTER R,BD ,BUCUREST 566.38 RON XR 5.217688 GBP £105.40

Last edited by scubaccr; Jan 15, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Doesn't matter what hotel bills your IHG.COM reservations CC card at either in advance on ADR or at hotel for flex.

For BRG purposes, only displayed currency on IHG.COM when searching and making a reservation matters when matching to an OTA currency.

PS
fyi in my IC Bucharest Example, the IC hotel charges credit cards in RON, despite the email reservation being in Euro. IC Bucharest converts eg 100Euro to 450Ron, then invoices you for 450Ron.
For Romania it is a legal requirement to bill in local RON currency. In fact I can pay (and have) bill in cash, either RON or EUROs, but after knockin nn RON off total, they will convert my Euro->RON for the remainder of the bill.

(As an aside, by Romanian Law, Hotel can only accept RON+EURO, they can't accept eg GBP, as a license is needed... found out can't use GBP cash my new year stay)

EG IHG.COM reservation in Euro, IC Bucharest convert to Euro->Ron, and bill my UK CC card in GBP
(I just see RON and GBP, not the Euro equivalent on my CC statement, a real pain )
eg my CC shows £105.40 (566RON at ex-rate 5.21 ) thats about 130Euro

SO.... IHG.COM reservation in Euro,
IC Bucharest convert to Euro->Ron for Billing, and bill RON to my UK CC card which then shows up as GBP on my CC statement Debit line below.

Fin: COMP HOTELIERA INTER R,BD ,BUCUREST 566.38 RON XR 5.217688 GBP £105.40

Really appreciate you taking the time to explain - thanks scubaccr!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:33 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Another data point showing that the booking sites are starting to play with the BRG department.

While in China I found a lower rate on hotels.com for the HI Golden Mile in Hong Kong. The rate was about 25% lower than the rate on IHG.

The BRG department replied (within 24 hours) with screenshots showing that hotels.com offers excactly the same rate as IHG. When I check on hotels.com, however, the rate is still much lower than on IHG.

HTB.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
I've submitted a claim for more than 24 hours now and still no reply. I'm starting to think maybe it wasn't submitted successfully? Are you supposed to get an acknowledgement email right after you submit a claim?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:27 am
Suspended

This is normal now. They probably will not get back to you for at least 48 hours. Don't be surprised if the response doesn't make any sense.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
This is normal now. They probably will not get back to you for at least 48 hours. Don't be surprised if the response doesn't make any sense.
I see. Marriott BRG is so much better.

Also, the weird thing is that, the lower rate I found for the dates I want has been on the third party site for almost forever, but since I submitted the BRG claim yesterday, today I checked the rate, it's gone, and still no reply from IHG.

I've had this happen more than once with IHG BRG. Before I was able to call and get them to check the rate immediately. Now they restricted it to email only and I can see them playing these games and stalling and fixing the third party rate and coming back to you saying sorry it's not available.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

So is Choice, although I don't use them much.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by htb
Another data point showing that the booking sites are starting to play with the BRG department.

While in China I found a lower rate on hotels.com for the HI Golden Mile in Hong Kong. The rate was about 25% lower than the rate on IHG.

The BRG department replied (within 24 hours) with screenshots showing that hotels.com offers excactly the same rate as IHG. When I check on hotels.com, however, the rate is still much lower than on IHG.

HTB.
This has happened on another site too. I saw the lower rate and they returned with screenshots showing the rate that is the same as ihg. Then I asked various FTers to check, and from 4 different locations located in various continents. We all saw the lower rate. I think those sites make sure IHG devices display the ihg rate to avoid brg claims using their sites.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by larapanget
will they honor a brg if the lower price i found was on rocketmiles?
bump
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by roubaolic
I see. Marriott BRG is so much better.
It is only better for North America. For BRG's everywhere else, Marriott claims (most of the time) that the third party will give/email you a voucher that you need to present to the hotel at the time of checking in. This invalidates the claim per T&C's.

Last edited by holtju2; Jan 18, 2014 at 1:16 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Priority, Southwest A-list Preferred/Companion, National Car Executive Elite
Hello, I'm trying to understand IHG brg. I booked the intercontinental Toronto centre on IHG.com in US dollars. I then found it on expedia for $15 cheaper. (Also in US dollars) Apparently this doesn't qualify? Even though they obviously didn't offer the best rate?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Joshr612
Hello, I'm trying to understand IHG brg. I booked the intercontinental Toronto centre on IHG.com in US dollars. I then found it on expedia for $15 cheaper. (Also in US dollars) Apparently this doesn't qualify? Even though they obviously didn't offer the best rate?
what reason did they give for denial?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.