Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by patgarrett
Is there anything in the T&C to prevent me making multiple Best Flex bookings at separate hotels and filing BRG claims?
there is a 7 day/50 mile rule. No secondary claims within 7 days for the same hotel, or any hotel within 50 miles.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:05 am

IHG is the biggest fraud in the hotel industry

So i had a BRG for 5 nights that was just completed in Sydney. The original rate was $340 AUD and approved BRG was for $172 AUD. However, the hotel charged me in advance when i made the booking 8 months ago, and it took me 4 tries to get the BRG complimentary first night refunded back to my credit card. However, they would not acknowledge the rate adjustment for the remaining 4 nights and the BRG email team claims that they contacted the hotel and hotel confirmed that there was a rate adjustment. Also, on my folio upon departure, it shows my rate as 271 AUD, however, like I had stated, I had been pre-charged $340 per night over 8 months ago when i made the booking. By my math, the hotel still owes me $672 AUD and this stay for some reason posted as non-qualifying. This is the second straight stay that has posted as nonqualifying even though I booked thru IHG.COM. The worst part of it is I'm normally an SPG guy, but was a rookie in the travelling game last year and got excited when i saw the IHG BRG rate which is about half of what SPG hotels were going for at the time. However, one month before i was travelling, all the SPG hotels, westin, sheraton on the park, and four points darling harbour were all at rates lower than my approved BRG that I am now fighting tooth and nails just to get it. This is so frustrating, and i dont think i can dispute the charge on my CC, since its 8 months ago....anyone has any advice?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by babypuwet
So i had a BRG for 5 nights that was just completed in Sydney. The original rate was $340 AUD and approved BRG was for $172 AUD. However, the hotel charged me in advance when i made the booking 8 months ago, and it took me 4 tries to get the BRG complimentary first night refunded back to my credit card. However, they would not acknowledge the rate adjustment for the remaining 4 nights and the BRG email team claims that they contacted the hotel and hotel confirmed that there was a rate adjustment. Also, on my folio upon departure, it shows my rate as 271 AUD, however, like I had stated, I had been pre-charged $340 per night over 8 months ago when i made the booking. By my math, the hotel still owes me $672 AUD and this stay for some reason posted as non-qualifying. This is the second straight stay that has posted as nonqualifying even though I booked thru IHG.COM. The worst part of it is I'm normally an SPG guy, but was a rookie in the travelling game last year and got excited when i saw the IHG BRG rate which is about half of what SPG hotels were going for at the time. However, one month before i was travelling, all the SPG hotels, westin, sheraton on the park, and four points darling harbour were all at rates lower than my approved BRG that I am now fighting tooth and nails just to get it. This is so frustrating, and i dont think i can dispute the charge on my CC, since its 8 months ago....anyone has any advice?
Possibly on CC since the booked hotel service funded by CC 8months ago is provided only just now, your CC complaint/charge-back window starts now.
Charge back is for goods un-delivered, not as described etc, so the window only starts from time goods/service are provided, not from when you placed the order or were charged.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I've seen some hyperbolic thread titles in my day but.... jeez. On top of which it doesn't help many folks in the future doing searches, looking for similar help. @:-)

Good luck to the OP getting the issue resolved.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:41 am

Just had a positive response after 18 hours for a claim.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by babypuwet
So i had a BRG for 5 nights that was just completed in Sydney. The original rate was $340 AUD and approved BRG was for $172 AUD. However, the hotel charged me in advance when i made the booking 8 months ago, and it took me 4 tries to get the BRG complimentary first night refunded back to my credit card. However, they would not acknowledge the rate adjustment for the remaining 4 nights and the BRG email team claims that they contacted the hotel and hotel confirmed that there was a rate adjustment. Also, on my folio upon departure, it shows my rate as 271 AUD, however, like I had stated, I had been pre-charged $340 per night over 8 months ago when i made the booking.....
....anyone has any advice?
a) This looks like the hotels fault. They have issued you with a folio that says they will charge you "x", but have billed you "y". I'd contact the hotel directly, attaching scanned copies of the folio and original cc statement. I assume any honourable hotel, seeing that they have a payment greater than what they bill, should refund the difference. Mind you the folio charge also looks too high.

How did they come up with a $271 daily rate. When you saw this rate, did you not query it at the desk before you left ? It should surely either be $340 if they are not honouring the BRG, or $172 if they are. If it is deemed that you agreed the new rate of $271, they you might have forfeited your rights to claim for a lower rate.

b) If that doesn't work, re-contact BRG team with said scanned copies. This will show that the rate was adjusted to $271, but should have been $172

Last edited by tangey; Jun 27, 2014 at 4:59 am
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Senator, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold
How is that possible?
Sent link & print screens (which show how to see the cheaper rate) and they are telling me that they user 3 different browsers are not able to see it!?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
a) This looks like the hotels fault. They have issued you with a folio that says they will charge you "x", but have billed you "y". I'd contact the hotel directly, attaching scanned copies of the folio and original cc statement. I assume any honourable hotel, seeing that they have a payment greater than what they bill, should refund the difference. Mind you the folio charge also looks too high.

How did they come up with a $271 daily rate. When you saw this rate, did you not query it at the desk before you left ? It should surely either be $340 if they are not honouring the BRG, or $172 if they are. If it is deemed that you agreed the new rate of $271, they you might have forfeited your rights to claim for a lower rate.

b) If that doesn't work, re-contact BRG team with said scanned copies. This will show that the rate was adjusted to $271, but should have been $172
thanks for the response Tangey. That is indeed what I have done. I sent in attachments and original emails to the BRG email, and received a response about an hour ago saying they can only verify the 271 rate. I sent another response back showing the original BRG approval with the details of my original submission of 172 aud as the competing rate. There was absolutely no mention of the 271 rate until I received my FOLIO upon checkout. When I asked about it at the front desk, they told me since I checked out on a weekend, they cannot help me because the original documentation is at their accounting department and it was locked up for the weekend. I was advised to contact during the work week or contact BRG team. I did both, and you already know the response from the BRG Team, and the email to the hotel that was provided to me merely states that they can only verify the 271 BRG rate and told me to contact central reservations for all future inquiries (I assume central reservations mean BRG team?)....

Last edited by babypuwet; Jun 27, 2014 at 9:35 pm Reason: response
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:37 am

Basic question - will a BRG claim be entertained if I have not guaranteed my booking to a CC? The hotel I booked does not make it compulsory to provide a CC guarantee and allows a booking to be made on a 6pm hold basis. May I still make a BRG clain (I am within the 24 hour window after making the booking), if my booking is not guaranteed to a CC? Somebody help, please!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Annapurna
Basic question - will a BRG claim be entertained if I have not guaranteed my booking to a CC? The hotel I booked does not make it compulsory to provide a CC guarantee and allows a booking to be made on a 6pm hold basis. May I still make a BRG clain (I am within the 24 hour window after making the booking), if my booking is not guaranteed to a CC? Somebody help, please!
That is just a normal IHG best flex rate booking then, So BRG with an OTA flex
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
That is just a normal IHG best flex rate booking then, So BRG with an OTA flex
What if the booking is within 7 days - would the other OTA site also have to have a flex rate that is lower than IHG, or could they have a more restrictive rate that is lower than IHG flex?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles
Is there any way for a BRG for a hotel that is showing as not available on IHG's website but can be booked on 3rd party sites?

I am looking for a certain Hotel in Austria for 3 rooms in August and although there is easy availability on other sites, IHG's own site itslef says "No rooms available for chosen dates" for most dates in August.

Also, for multiple rooms, what is the best way to do a brg?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by libbrichus
Is there any way for a BRG for a hotel that is showing as not available on IHG's website but can be booked on 3rd party sites?

I am looking for a certain Hotel in Austria for 3 rooms in August and although there is easy availability on other sites, IHG's own site itslef says "No rooms available for chosen dates" for most dates in August.

Also, for multiple rooms, what is the best way to do a brg?
No. If you do not have an IHG reservation, you have no room to BRG against.

I know of a least one hotel than in last 7 days, no rooms on IHG.COM but rooms on eg Lastminute.com was a regular occurence.

I can't blame hotel they want to fill hotel rooms, so eg sell the block to lastminute.com to push on a , cheaper room rate, and the hotel don't have issues of BRG claims to worry about.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:33 pm

Extra person fees not covered by BRG - but what does it mean?

Hi there. I am trying to make a claim for an IC in Europe, and get hit by the T&C stating that extra person fees are not covered by the BRG. Reply from the BRG desk as follows:

Please be informed that the The Guarantee does not include extra fees such as extra person charges, except as stated in paragraph 6.d. and 6.e.

6. d. Japan. In Japan and on the ANAIHG website, the room price does include extra person fees. ANA hotels are not eligible for Best Price Guarantee rooms, but all other IHG hotels, including ANAIHG hotels, on the ANAIHG website are eligible.

6. e. Australia/New Zealand. In Australia and New Zealand, due to credit card transaction fees that are applied at the hotel, there must be a minimum difference of 1.5% in the nightly room price and the nightly total room cost or the average nightly room price and the average nightly total room cost, to have a valid claim.
It is also stated that
We have reviewed your claim. The EUR 160.00 rate on the competing website for 2 nights only includes the 8 % VAT. This rate excludes the extra person charge.
However this is not correct. It is only on bookings done on the IHG website that this extra person fee is charged, not on bookings in 3rd party websites.

I am wondering if I have misunderstood completely. Do I have a valid claim or am I out of luck?

The base rate on IHG was EUR 70 per night + 10 EUR extra for the 2nd person + 8% VAT.
The rate on the competing website was EUR 80 all inclusive.

Would very much appreciate your input and tips! Thank you very much!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:53 am

So I booked a room, made a BRG, but haven't received a response from IHG. When I checked this morning, the website I was comparing against went up! That worries me because the rate required the full payment up front. I took a screencap of the lower rate. I haven't heard anything from IHG yet, but does anyone have any experience with IHG will still process this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.