Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Stivelio
I'm on H1B visa and just scheduled my interview at DFW airport for next month
You’re not resident in India and are considered an NRI by the GOI?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:30 am

Was anyone in a situation where they had to leave their town immediately after getting their work done at the Passport Seva Kendra? I was wondering if you can ask the PSK to delay police verification when you are leaving town for 2-3 days.

I will try getting police verification done same day as PSK visit, but still...
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by anirudh666
Was anyone in a situation where they had to leave their town immediately after getting their work done at the Passport Seva Kendra? I was wondering if you can ask the PSK to delay police verification when you are leaving town for 2-3 days.

I will try getting police verification done same day as PSK visit, but still...
I had the same scenario and I was told PSK doesn't control it and I can request the police officer assigned to my case when he calls me before coming over for the verification. I did the same and was able to request him to come back 2-3 days later as I was going out of the town the day he was going to come. This may or may not work for you and so don't use this as a confirmation that this will definitely work for you as well
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: emirates british airways priority pass
Please could someone tell me their opinion on GE for my case. I am based in canada and don't travel much to the states may be 2/3 times a year. Does having GEP help?

I am gonna be in India for just couple of weeks. Considering the delay and everything I am just wondering if 100$ is worth it? Thoughts please?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by numbiceman
Please could someone tell me their opinion on GE for my case. I am based in canada and don't travel much to the states may be 2/3 times a year. Does having GEP help?

I am gonna be in India for just couple of weeks. Considering the delay and everything I am just wondering if 100$ is worth it? Thoughts please?
Get NEXUS instead for easy travel into US, it gives you Global Entry also.

NEXUS speeds up entry into US via road as well, it's not just for air travel.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...programs/nexus
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: emirates british airways priority pass
Originally Posted by anirudh666
Get NEXUS instead for easy travel into US, it gives you Global Entry also.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...programs/nexus
dont qualify yet, requires canadian residency of 3+ years
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Where are you checking for application status update? On https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ ? I've completed my PSK appointment and Police verification in October, I'm on H1B and living in US.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TTP CBP,
First you check status at Passport Kendra site
At the truster traveller site it will continue to show pending review, once status from PSK site changes to something different like application submitted back to PSK or CBP, then you can come back to
trusted traveller site and then schedule an interview, if you read through this thread previous two pages. Folks who have gone ahead to schedule interview at CBP have clearly mentioned their steps.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:09 am

Here is my experience with GEP verification in Bangalore:

- Went to the Bangalore Passport Seva Kendra (Lal Baug) on Dec 11. The first counter I went to, asked me to get a copy of my Aadhar card and police verification request. Luckily, there is a photocopier on-site, but there was a mad rush for it, so it took about 20-30 minutes before I could get my token.

After I got my token, I went to 3 different counters (A, B, C) in sequence, but was very quick. I had overlooked the option for SMS update of police verification, and I wasn't able to opt in at the PSK in counter A. Looks like PSK didn't want my Rs 45...

Went to police station same day, the passport verification officer said that he "couldn't find my file". It was probably code for "I want a bribe", but I said I'd come a few days later, as I'd be out of town.

- Went to Vijayanagar police station on Dec 15, the passport verification officer said that my verification couldn't be done, as my passport has USA address. I tried to explain that I have an Aadhar card, and I'm an NRI, so I can't stay in India for long duration, but he kept interrupting, saying that the system would reject police verification.

He also argued that I should have put in my latest date of entry into India, as the "from" date in the GEP application for Indian residence duration. He was doubtful about being able to do police verification using a passport issued outside of India (passport issued in Chicago in my case).

My India address was my permanent address since 2012. He also argued that I couldn't claim residency since 2012, as I hadn't been living continuously since 2012. I tried to explain that I'm an NRI, but he kept interrupting me.

After arguing for a while, he called up a superior, and was told to get Aadhar and Passport from me and signed statements from my parents (both NRIs).

We came home, constable in tow. Constable took photos with her tablet, a statement from me stating my India address and workplace, and a statement from my parents stating our India address. An additional statement was taken from our neighbors, to attest to me and my parents' place of residence in India.

Constable complained about Aadhar card having an issuance date of less than 1 year from present day, but I convinced her that I got my original Aadhar in 2014, and only did a name change this year.

- I had to run around to get photocopies of my parents' passports and Aadhar cards, after the constable called up her superior at the police station, to confirm that she needed the copies attested.

I gave attested photocopies of by new and old passport, my parent's passports, and Aadhar card copies of all 3 of us. In addition, a passport-size photo was given. The constable who came home to do police verification, kept complaining about being clueless about what documents she should ask from me.

All in all, Indian police lived up to their reputation as being unfriendly, clueless, and often unable to work without "bakhseesh".

I did manage to get the phone number of the passport officer, and also went to the police station in person, after the constable left. I couldn't find the passport officer, so I will try to follow up next week.

Last edited by anirudh666; Dec 15, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:22 pm

hi guys...good to see so many people has given lot of inputs. i am planning for a India visit in the month of Jan and thought of giving a short to GE . Currently i just have an expired visa with valid h1b petition. While filling the application for global entry , they are asking for proof to enter US. Here i cant give my expired visa and i just have a passport as an other option. Should i select it and move forward with the application or should i wait till i get a valid visa (after my stamping in india) to fill the GE application. If 2nd point is true , then i fear i may not have enough time to fill the GE application and attend passport seva interview within 1 or 2 weeks after getting the stamped visa .

If i just selected passport as proof of entry to US , will it cause any future concerns for not giving the visa details in GE application?

Please suggest.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
hi guys...good to see so many people has given lot of inputs. i am planning for a India visit in the month of Jan and thought of giving a short to GE . Currently i just have an expired visa with valid h1b petition. While filling the application for global entry , they are asking for proof to enter US. Here i cant give my expired visa and i just have a passport as an other option. Should i select it and move forward with the application or should i wait till i get a valid visa (after my stamping in india) to fill the GE application. If 2nd point is true , then i fear i may not have enough time to fill the GE application and attend passport seva interview within 1 or 2 weeks after getting the stamped visa .

If i just selected passport as proof of entry to US , will it cause any future concerns for not giving the visa details in GE application?

Please suggest.
I spoke to multiple customs officers of US Customs about this, back in July - August. I had a fresh visa then, and was worried it would expire by the time the Indian government finished their background checks.

I was almost unanimously informed that I needed a valid visa to apply for Global Entry. I am 95% sure that you need a valid visa, but you can confirm by calling US Customs at +1-202-325-8000, if you're outside the USA.

If that number is too busy, try calling any of the Global Entry enrollment centers in US airports. These numbers are available at https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...llment-centers

You can get a stamped passport mailed to your doorstep, if you pay Rs 500 extra to the agency handling US visas in India. That might help you make the timeline. Ask your relatives about which police station is the most cooperative in your town for police verification, to help avoid the situation I detailed in my previous post.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:47 am

I had a similar situation and I had just given my passport information and continued on with the application process. I had been to India recently for stamping and was able to complete the passport verification process without issues. I now have a valid visa and I can give that information to CBP if necessary for the later stages of the application process.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I plan to go today to PSK. Is aadaar a must for nri(living in US)?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
I plan to go today to PSK. Is aadaar a must for nri(living in US)?
Aadhar has become a must-have by default, as it is both an address proof as well as ID proof. Also, there’s biometric verification available.

When the government says that NRIs shouldn’t have Aadhar card, I take NRI to mean those who’ve given up Indian citizenship.

Those who are in the US on work visa, still have strong ties to India.

The alternate to Aadhar might be voter ID and ration card, however the government office which issues voter ID in my part of Bangalore, has guaranteed that they will make a spelling mistake in my name. Ration card is issued on the basis of voter ID.That’s why I went for Aadhar.

I would highly recommend you to take Aadhar with you, if you have one.

Last edited by anirudh666; Dec 18, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I dont have aadhaar. Been 15+ years since I left India. NRI definition during the demonitization time was anyone who is indian citizen living abroad. PIO and OCI were not considered nri for the extended deposit time window.

ill update the thread after my PSK visit later today. I really only care for the tsa pre - lately it takes 1hr+ for security at jfk after the enhanced security measures which require all wires, electronics etc. To come out on tray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.