FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   India joins US Global Entry programme. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1850454-india-joins-us-global-entry-programme.html)

Keyser Jun 27, 17 8:47 pm

India joins US Global Entry programme.
 
http://indianexpress.com/article/wha...ramme-4724780/

http://www.indiawest.com/news/global...b7ecb9326.html

https://thewire.in/151900/indian-tra...ited-entry-us/

this is good news but i wonder how long before this goes into effect....

tomcat007 Jun 28, 17 7:45 pm

I don't expect this anytime soon.

They signed the MoU last year and there has been no progress.

https://www.indianembassy.org/press_detail.php?nid=2380

Keyser Jun 28, 17 9:49 pm


Originally Posted by tomcat007 (Post 28498250)
I don't expect this anytime soon.

They signed the MoU last year and there has been no progress.

https://www.indianembassy.org/press_detail.php?nid=2380

neither do i but given the hype around the modi-trump meeting & the need to make a big announcement regarding this, i'm expecting some progress on this in the foreseeable future....

then again, both have a history of making lots of promises & not delivering so on the other hand this could take a while or not happen at all....

oliver2002 Jun 29, 17 1:11 am

Jusrt curious how the background check would work in India. The only system I could think of is via the Passport Office infrastructure.

GUWonder Jun 29, 17 2:45 am


Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 28498532)
neither do i but given the hype around the modi-trump meeting & the need to make a big announcement regarding this, i'm expecting some progress on this in the foreseeable future....

then again, both have a history of making lots of promises & not delivering so on the other hand this could take a while or not happen at all....

Some people have indicated that GOES is already taking applications for Global Entry from Indian citizens and that it was turned on yesterday. I have now verified the validity of such indications.

CBP's own site now indicates the same in some way:


Originally Posted by cbp.gov
U.S. citizens, U.S nationals and U.S. lawful permanent residents may apply for Global Entry as well as citizens of certain countries with which CBP has trusted traveler arrangements, including Argentina, Colombia, Germany, Mexico, the Netherlands, Panama, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and now India.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-m...e-philadelphia

GUWonder Jun 29, 17 2:53 am


Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28498899)
Jusrt curious how the background check would work in India. The only system I could think of is via the Passport Office infrastructure.

The background check was already performed for the most part by the US when the Indian citizen got a US visa. There are other US links established and operational with the GoI to permit additional checks to be done beyond what may have been conducted for the US visa application.

Keyser Jun 29, 17 5:13 am


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 28499065)
Some people have indicated that GOES is already taking applications for Global Entry from Indian citizens and that it was turned on yesterday. I have now verified the validity of such indications.

CBP's own site now indicates the same in some way:

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-m...e-philadelphia

just applied....lets see how long this takes....

GUWonder Jun 29, 17 6:47 am


Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 28499331)
just applied....lets see how long this takes....

Looking forward to seeing how long it takes Indian citizens resident in India to get conditionally approved status from US CBP for this program. When you get an update, let me know.

I'm also looking forward to see what happens to a US B-1-visa-holding Indian citizen with an Interpol red notice from the UAE over a business debt still in commercial dispute. I'm assuming that person will not see a very timely conditional approval. But some people will still pay for the attempt. :D

Keyser Jun 29, 17 7:17 am


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 28499580)
Looking forward to seeing how long it takes Indian citizens resident in India to get conditionally approved status from US CBP for this program. When you get an update, let me know.

will do....i have trips scheduled to the us towards the end of july & again towards the end of september & mid october....hopefully i'll get my approval in time to schedule my interview during one of these trips....

also, i wonder if there is a time limit to schedule an interview from when one gets conditional approval????i couldn't find any information about this on the goes website....

oliver2002 Jun 29, 17 8:04 am

No limit as such, but you are advised to get it done soon. For Germans it takes 2-3 weeks to get conditional approval, then finding a slot for the interview is euqally tough. Sometimes the DHS does interview camps in the countries added to GE, in order to promote the concept. Maybe they will come to India in the next months.

GUWonder Jun 29, 17 12:51 pm


Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28499856)
No limit as such, but you are advised to get it done soon. For Germans it takes 2-3 weeks to get conditional approval, then finding a slot for the interview is euqally tough. Sometimes the DHS does interview camps in the countries added to GE, in order to promote the concept. Maybe they will come to India in the next months.

We have CBP assigned to work out of DEL.

There used to be a limit. I don't recall if the required schedule limits are now all non-existent. But CBP still has links that say this kind of thing:


Originally Posted by CBP.gov
How soon should I schedule my appointment?
You will need to schedule an appointment within 30 days of being conditionally approved. The actual appointment date can be beyond the 30-day period. For example, the scheduled appointment date can be several months from now, as long as you schedule it within 30 days of the conditional approval date. Failing to schedule the interview within 30 days from the date of conditional approval will result in being denied.


Antonio8069 Jun 29, 17 1:07 pm

waiving the visa would be more beneficial
 
Curious decision. If India & USA truly wanted to expedite travel, they could mutually agree to waive visa requirements!

The biggest beneficiary of this decision is GOES travelers (like me) who travel to/from India.

oliver2002 Jun 30, 17 12:30 am

Curious what they will offer US GE members in return. There is no automation in the immgration process in India all they can do is offer access to the diplomat line.

GUWonder Jun 30, 17 1:07 am


Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28503237)
Curious what they will offer US GE members in return. There is no automation in the immgration process in India all they can do is offer access to the diplomat line.

There are also some premium cabin immigration processing lines.

This does me have curious if the Indian government has plans to set up self-service/automated passport control gates/kiosks and then also provide access to that to US GE members.

I know that the GoI has been sparking concerns within the government employee ranks that decisions involving the Home Ministry and some other travel-related officials may result in reduced reliance upon (and headcount needs of) the current government workforce. For example, plans to make passport applications easier for the Indian public have caused some career government employees concern that they will end up disempowered and discarded in some way or another.

Keyser Jul 2, 17 2:31 am


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 28499580)
Looking forward to seeing how long it takes Indian citizens resident in India to get conditionally approved status from US CBP for this program. When you get an update, let me know.

got an email from 'passport seva' this morning stating that information regarding my goes application has been received & i need to follow some steps for the background verification....

i had to register myself online on the passport seva website & then apply for background verification by filling up a form....then i had to schedule an appointment at one of the rpo offices by paying an inr 500 fee....

my appointment is now fixed for tomorrow afternoon....no clue what all i'm supposed to take with me....all the email said was that i need to take my original documents....i'm guessing that means my passport....

as a precaution i'm also going to carry some passport pictures, my driving license (since they asked for that information on the goes website), aadhaar card & my ticket for my upcoming travel to the us....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:19 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.