Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia lounges at Madrid Barajas (T4/T4S)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Iberia lounges at MAD Madrid-Barajas (T4/T4S)

Note: Signed in members with 90 days and 90 posts on FlyerTalk can edit/update Wikiposts. Feel free to update this Wikipost.

Departure lounges
Iberia Premium Lounge Dalí
Located in T4 immediately after security at Level 2, if departing or connecting to Schengen, IB operated London bound flights (A330/A350 excluded) or domestic flights: it is a decent lounge with free food, drinks and showers. Open 06:00 to 23:00.

Related discussion: Iberia Dali Madrid lounge experience

Iberia Premium Lounge Velázquez
Open daily 06:00 to 01:00

Located in T4S (Zone "S") at Level 1 at the edge of the duty free store. Open 24 hours, for departures to non-Schengen and long haul flights; self-serve food, drinks, wine bar (Rincón del vino), restaurant w/ limited hours, targeted to departing intercontinental overnight Iberia flyers.

Lunch buffet 14:00 – 16:30, Dinner 21:00 onwards, Bistro 21:00 - 00:30

When you exit the lounge and make your way to your departure gate, veer left through the duty free store. You can use Starbucks as a visual cue. If you veer right, you will end up in a cul-de-sac.

Arrivals lounge
Sala de Llegadas
Located in the main T4 arrivals hall at level -1. The lounge is equipped with showers and a breakfast room.

This is not a oneworld lounge. Access is provided free of charge to business class passengers who have arrived on an Iberia operated flight of more that 4 hours. Iberia Plus Platinum, Gold, and Singular members may also use the lounge provided they have also arrived on an Iberia operated flight of more than 4 hours. Paid entrance is also available

Lounge hopping
Terminal 4 and 4S are joined by a subterranean train; it is unlikely to lounge hop as the gatekeepers are rather strict about using the appropriate lounge.
Print Wikipost

Iberia lounges at Madrid Barajas (T4/T4S)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by London Dude
Correct. When I had no status a while ago I did it many times upon arrival at MAD on a long-haul IB flight in J and connecting to a short-haul IB flight in Y, and I'm pretty sure that the same rule applies if arriving on any oneworld flight and connecting to another oneworld flight. You'll need to show both the business class BP from the CX flight and the Y BP for the upcoming IB flight at the lounge entrance.

I was on separate tickets BTW
We have always gone to the arrivals lounge, never knew we could utilize Dali.
So, if I fly IB on J Bos-Mad, then have a Y or J connection(even on separate tickets) I can access Dali?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by theplayer
We have always gone to the arrivals lounge, never knew we could utilize Dali.
So, if I fly IB on J Bos-Mad, then have a Y or J connection(even on separate tickets) I can access Dali?
Yes, as long as both flights are marketed and operated by a oneworld airline.

It's a oneworld rule, whereby the J or F BP for the incoming oneworld flight gives you access to the J or F lounge (when applicable, e.g. at LHR, JFK, etc.) before and after the flight, as long as the flight you're connecting to is also marketed and operated by a oneworld airline.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:09 am

Yes, as long as both flights are marketed and operated by a oneworld airline.

It's a oneworld rule, whereby the J or F BP for the incoming oneworld flight gives you access to the J or F lounge (when applicable, e.g. at LHR, JFK, etc.) before and after the flight, as long as the flight you're connecting to is also marketed and operated by a oneworld airline.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
thanks, just to confirm.. so landing at T4s, connecting flight to CDG on IB at T4, Dali is where we should go?
Your link shows access for business class tickets, but one would think your departing ticket should be J as well. But you have had no problem accessing as long as long haul flight in J, connecting flight Y? I would think these should be on same ticket. We have separate tickets, both J.

edit: you are certainly correct
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

Last edited by theplayer; Jan 29, 2023 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
thanks, just to confirm.. so landing at T4s, connecting flight to CDG on IB at T4, Dali is where we should go?
Your link shows access for business class tickets, but one would think your departing ticket should be J as well. But you have had no problem accessing as long as long haul flight in J, connecting flight Y? I would think these should be on same ticket. We have separate tickets, both J.

edit:
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
Precisely, I arrived at T4S in J on IB, and departed in IB Y out of T4. I was on separate tickets, e.g. on an Avios redemption in J long-haul, and a cash ticket in Y short-haul. Presenting both the J BP and the Y BP at the Dali entrance gives you access to the lounge. I did this without any problems on several occasions over the years at a time when my BAEC status had elapsed. The same would apply if for instance one arrived on a DFW-MAD AA flight in J and continued on to FRA on IB in Y. The J BP from the AA flight would entitle one to use the Dali lounge at T4.

Below is the oneworld rule I was referring to, the key point is that lounge access is determined by the international long-haul flight, regardless of whether the short-haul flight is in Y or J. Note the time requirements as well. Obviously if the long-haul flight is in Y and the short-haul flight is in J, access is granted based on the latter.
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:55 pm

Correct. When I had no status a while ago I did it many times upon arrival at MAD on a long-haul IB flight in J and connecting to a short-haul IB flight in Y, and I'm pretty sure that the same rule applies if arriving on any oneworld flight and connecting to another oneworld flight. You'll need to show both the business class BP from the CX flight and the Y BP for the upcoming IB flight at the lounge entrance.

I was on separate tickets BTW
Thanks a lot for posting your scenario and for confirming. It’s much appreciated!
London Dude likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:51 am
PB2

Good to hear you should have access. In the Schengen lounge to the far right is a large bank of well equipped showers, with all the usual toiletries - plus razor blade, toothbrush, comb etc. and sealed towels. Just need an access code from reception. To the far left are 6 or so sleeping rooms (divided by curtains). Ask at reception and they’ll give you a sealed pillow and blanket. It really is a fantastic lounge - super clean, friendly staff, very good food and wine/coffee. Enjoy!
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:43 am

Arrived last week in T4S on a Schengen flight and had to reclear security to go to Dali. Seems that either I did not find the right way or the terminal is not designed properly.

Velasquez is also not an option if I understand correctly?

In a couple of weeks it looks like I have a Schengen arrival into T4S and also departure from T4S. Do I have to take the train twice plus reclear security? Sounds even worse than UK for me...
Old Feb 7, 2023, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by estrela
Arrived last week in T4S on a Schengen flight and had to reclear security to go to Dali. Seems that either I did not find the right way or the terminal is not designed properly.

Velasquez is also not an option if I understand correctly?

In a couple of weeks it looks like I have a Schengen arrival into T4S and also departure from T4S. Do I have to take the train twice plus reclear security? Sounds even worse than UK for me...
A few months ago I flew FCO-MAD-MIA. My FCO-MAD flight was switched to an A350 at the last moment so we landed at T4S, where my MAD-MIA flight was also departing from. It's not necessary to take the train to T4 and back, and I was able to quickly make my MAD-MIA connection. If memory serves, when you land at T4S, follow the signs to the S gates. you'll get to the passport checkpoint/e-gates for exiting Schengen, after which you will be able to head to the gates in the non-Schengen T4S departure area.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 5:54 am

A few months ago I flew FCO-MAD-MIA. My FCO-MAD flight was switched to an A350 at the last moment so we landed at T4S, where my MAD-MIA flight was also departing from. It's not necessary to take the train to T4 and back, and I was able to quickly make my MAD-MIA connection. If memory serves, when you land at T4S, follow the signs to the S gates. you'll get to the passport checkpoint/e-gates for exiting Schengen, after which you will be able to head to the gates in the non-Schengen T4S departure area.
Thanks but you connected to Nonschengen in T4S. I will have a pure Schengen-Connection within T4S. Already last time purely intra Schengen from T4S to T4 I had to reclear security in T4.

Now I am wondering whether I can just stay in T4S or even access Velazques in T4S? While I like T4, T4S is a bit strange...
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:22 am

Thanks but you connected to Nonschengen in T4S. I will have a pure Schengen-Connection within T4S. Already last time purely intra Schengen from T4S to T4 I had to reclear security in T4.

Now I am wondering whether I can just stay in T4S or even access Velazques in T4S? While I like T4, T4S is a bit strange...
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Schengen flights use the M gates on the ground level at T4S and you can connect Shengen to Schengen on that level in T4S without any further security or ID checks. The Velazquez lounge is on the first level where the S gates, etc. for non-Schengen flights are located, and I imagine you would need to go through passport control and exit Schengen in order to use the lounge. As I said I'm not sure about any of this, and I may be wrong, maybe someone who's more familiar with MAD can confirm whether this is correct. Also, it would make sense that there should be a "clean" way to get from Schengen/T4S to Schengen/T4 without going through security, but I wouldn't know as I've always done non-Schengen/T4S to Schengen/T4. Maybe there's an inter-terminal bus service that allows that, rather than the train..

Last edited by London Dude; Feb 7, 2023 at 6:31 am
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You cannot use Velasquez if you are departing from the M gates (Schengen) at T4S.
estrela likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
If you have an EU passport you can go through to the non-Schengen area but will have to go through control and security again to get to the M gates without issue as there is no boarding pass check for the e-gates.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:55 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not sure if this is offtopic - but yesterday, first time in my life, visited the Dali lounge for my connecting flight, and there was a line snaking down for entry, I guess I must have arrived at the peak hour (I arrived abour 15h). I have never in Europe since the pandemic hit with such a line to enter lounges (it was like those lines you see frequently these days especially for Delta SkyMiles and AMEX lounges on social media). However within 30 mins everything was back to normal and the lounge did start to empty out.

Cheers!
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS

I thought Schengen arrivals into T4S M gates are considered "clean" and there are no security & passport controls to get to other M gates, or to get on the train to T4? I don't know why Craigthemif says you can not go from T4S M gates area into S gates area to get into Velázquez, you just have to go through passport control, as LupineChemist said, and even without EEA+Ch eGate access you can use the manned counters, the officers don't ask for BP, though perhaps it's a problem for those on a single entry Schengen visa. It's less hassle though to just go from M gates to T4 Dali and back.

Is LHR better? You can take the train from T5A to B and C but can only walk the reverse direction, whereas the MAD T4-T4S train is bothways. Within OW you might have to transfer between T5 and T3 using the airside bus and reclearing security in between. I would take MAD T4-T4S train over the LHR airside bus. Outside of OW though, the same LHR airside bus is better than the landside bus for T4(s)<>T123. If we compare Ireland (in the CTA) ->LHR T5->UK (in the CTA) vs Switzerland-MAD T4(s)->Schengen connections (in both cases staying within a passport zone but crossing a customs border), the MAD pathway does not involve going through customs but the LHR route does?

Last edited by csycsycsy; Feb 8, 2023 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Once you go to the non-Schengen side, you have to pass through security to get back to the Schengen side as the only way is to mix with "unclean" arrival stream. In the same vein, the only way to get from T4S M gates to T4 is to mix with that same "unclean" arrival stream after they have cleared passport control but before security. It's just a real edge case for things that happen, but it can happen. Probably low on their priorities to fix but it could be fixed with a bus for Schengen connections similar to how non-Schengen used to be handled for the IB UK flights in T4main. Though I suppose it's just uncommon enough that it's unlikely to be fixed at all.
csycsycsy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.