Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia lounges at Madrid Barajas (T4/T4S)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Iberia lounges at MAD Madrid-Barajas (T4/T4S)

Note: Signed in members with 90 days and 90 posts on FlyerTalk can edit/update Wikiposts. Feel free to update this Wikipost.

Departure lounges
Iberia Premium Lounge Dalí
Located in T4 immediately after security at Level 2, if departing or connecting to Schengen, IB operated London bound flights (A330/A350 excluded) or domestic flights: it is a decent lounge with free food, drinks and showers. Open 06:00 to 23:00.

Related discussion: Iberia Dali Madrid lounge experience

Iberia Premium Lounge Velázquez
Open daily 06:00 to 01:00

Located in T4S (Zone "S") at Level 1 at the edge of the duty free store. Open 24 hours, for departures to non-Schengen and long haul flights; self-serve food, drinks, wine bar (Rincón del vino), restaurant w/ limited hours, targeted to departing intercontinental overnight Iberia flyers.

Lunch buffet 14:00 – 16:30, Dinner 21:00 onwards, Bistro 21:00 - 00:30

When you exit the lounge and make your way to your departure gate, veer left through the duty free store. You can use Starbucks as a visual cue. If you veer right, you will end up in a cul-de-sac.

Arrivals lounge
Sala de Llegadas
Located in the main T4 arrivals hall at level -1. The lounge is equipped with showers and a breakfast room.

This is not a oneworld lounge. Access is provided free of charge to business class passengers who have arrived on an Iberia operated flight of more that 4 hours. Iberia Plus Platinum, Gold, and Singular members may also use the lounge provided they have also arrived on an Iberia operated flight of more than 4 hours. Paid entrance is also available

Lounge hopping
Terminal 4 and 4S are joined by a subterranean train; it is unlikely to lounge hop as the gatekeepers are rather strict about using the appropriate lounge.
Print Wikipost

Iberia lounges at Madrid Barajas (T4/T4S)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Once you go to the non-Schengen side, you have to pass through security to get back to the Schengen side as the only way is to mix with "unclean" arrival stream. In the same vein, the only way to get from T4S M gates to T4 is to mix with that same "unclean" arrival stream after they have cleared passport control but before security. It's just a real edge case for things that happen, but it can happen. Probably low on their priorities to fix but it could be fixed with a bus for Schengen connections similar to how non-Schengen used to be handled for the IB UK flights in T4main. Though I suppose it's just uncommon enough that it's unlikely to be fixed at all.
Thanks for confirming. It happens every day that there are Schengen arrivals and premium pax connecting in T4S. Quite surprising that a relatively new hub terminal is lacking such basic functionalities. Not surprising that IB does not care about premium pax. :-)
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Most pax connecting into T4S will be connecting to non-Schengen, in which case the flow is pretty easy and you have access to all the services and into the Velázquez lounge and no security. The Schengen to Schengen connection entirely within T4S is exceedingly rare. And I think the time lost with dealing with a bus to handle Schengen connections in T4 is probably more than just going through security again. The distance is too far to have a reasonable walkway so the options are make a clean car on the train that will barely be used while the rest is full, a separate clean bus, or just go through security again. Considering there's rarely any line for connection security in T4main, it seems pretty reasonable to go with that option.

There did indeed used to be a third lounge in the M gates (the Sala Goya) but it closed down years ago from lack of use.
PLATINOIB and csycsycsy like this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:29 am

Also clean nonschengen arrivals are not possible then (like all North America arrivals in FRA for example) so it is not all about Schengen but a 4 digit amount of daily passengers. Maybe also charging security fee again?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by estrela
Also clean nonschengen arrivals are not possible then (like all North America arrivals in FRA for example) so it is not all about Schengen but a 4 digit amount of daily passengers. Maybe also charging security fee again?
This one really annoys me because it's really totally possible and quite easy to do this with basically no modifications for non-Schengen to non-Schengen. As there is a flow from the departures area in T4S to passport control and arrivals it really seems to be just about not wanting to put in the signage and possibly would mean adding an additional row of travelators. But it would be a pretty huge cost savings for the airport especially for all the UK-S. America and US-Israel connections sold. But yeah would be a bigger deal to do clean non-Schengen to Schengen but it could be done with buses and a dedicated passport control. But again, the time lost in security is probably way less than the time lost by bussing between T4S and T4main so probably not really worth it as it will either been a long and uncomfortable bus that comes far less often than the train or a slightly less uncomfortable train between the terminals.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Most pax connecting into T4S will be connecting to non-Schengen, in which case the flow is pretty easy and you have access to all the services and into the Velázquez lounge and no security. The Schengen to Schengen connection entirely within T4S is exceedingly rare. And I think the time lost with dealing with a bus to handle Schengen connections in T4 is probably more than just going through security again. The distance is too far to have a reasonable walkway so the options are make a clean car on the train that will barely be used while the rest is full, a separate clean bus, or just go through security again. Considering there's rarely any line for connection security in T4main, it seems pretty reasonable to go with that option.

There did indeed used to be a third lounge in the M gates (the Sala Goya) but it closed down years ago from lack of use.
So...
T4 to T4, easiest, Dali.
T4 to T4M, Dali first, then train to T4M. Or see T4S/M to T4M below for Velazquez....
T4 to T4S, train to T4S, passport control, Velazquez.
T4S to T4, passport control, train to T4, security, Dali.
T4S to T4S, security, Velazquez.
T4M to T4, train to T4, security, Dali.
T4M to T4S, passport control, T4S, Velazquez
T4S to T4M, passport control, security, T4M (no lounge)
...to stop by Dali...T4S, passport control, train to T4, security, Dali, train to T4M.
...to stop by Velazquez...T4S, security, Velazquez, the "LupineChemist door" to T4S arrivals, passport control, security, T4M. Ouch.
T4M to T4M, next door (no lounge)
...to stop by Dali...T4M, train to T4, security, Dali, train to T4M.
...to stop by Velazquez...T4M, passport control, T4S, Velazquez, LupineChemist door, T4S arrivals, passport control, security, T4M. Ouch.

T4"M" departures for tomorrow...all morning flights, are the gates in T4 full in the morning?
IB514 to LCG
IB3738 to CDG
IB3722 to AMS
IB3402 to ORY
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:53 am

Yeah, that's a pretty good overview. I'd add the passport control and back route I believe depends on having an EU passport as well as you have to show a boarding card for a manned post. So it wouldn't work for non EU/EEA/CH citizens.

And the morning flights I believe are rotations going after arriving red-eyes from Africa. For example IB3329 from DSS is a 321 that arrives at 0430 so rotating that into Schengen service for the day.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:02 am

Hi all,

Hopeing some of you can help me convince my wife were fine. Were flying in from Casablanca and have a transit of 1 hour 10 mins in madrid. I was hoping to quickly nip into the lounge. Looking at recent flight records my flight from Casa comes into T4S and the flight to Heathrow is T4S, I know on the day anything can happen but assuming were on time and were not at a remote gate. Take 30 min away for getting to gate and cut off, I have 40 mins potentially for a quick snack and refresh? Would you say its doable or not worth the hassle?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by suley
Hi all,

Hopeing some of you can help me convince my wife were fine. Were flying in from Casablanca and have a transit of 1 hour 10 mins in madrid. I was hoping to quickly nip into the lounge. Looking at recent flight records my flight from Casa comes into T4S and the flight to Heathrow is T4S, I know on the day anything can happen but assuming were on time and were not at a remote gate. Take 30 min away for getting to gate and cut off, I have 40 mins potentially for a quick snack and refresh? Would you say its doable or not worth the hassle?
Easily doable. Especially as the transfer security will deposit you right by the lounge. Obviously play it by ear but it shouldn't be an issue for a quick drink.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by suley
Hi all,

The Jamon Bocadillos at Enrique Tomas are excellent. Ask for Jamon BELLOTA with the special bread. It’s a flat bread. I forgot its name. But they are excellent
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Southwest
Planning travel for 2024 and eyeing ORD to MAD and then continuing to LHR. There are two options, and this is mine and my wife's first time traveling internationally (let alone business class).

First flight is 4:45pm ORD to MAD and arrives at 7:55am. Where I'm trying to decide is how long to spend at the airport knowing we will have luggage and will not be able to check into our London hotel until the afternoon.

Option 1 leaves at 9:10am. Option 2 leaves at 13:35pm. With the luggage, traversing an unknown city with luggage, and the fact we couldn't check into our hotel, (and this being our first biz class experience) would it make sense/be suggested to hang out at the Iberia lounge and fly to LHR later? Or, is the hour and 15 minutes enough time to grab a quick bite, and then hit the next flight? Total newbie in this area and just looking for some insight.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrakers85

Option 1 leaves at 9:10am. Option 2 leaves at 13:35pm. With the luggage, traversing an unknown city with luggage, and the fact we couldn't check into our hotel, (and this being our first biz class experience) would it make sense/be suggested to hang out at the Iberia lounge and fly to LHR later? Or, is the hour and 15 minutes enough time to grab a quick bite, and then hit the next flight? Total newbie in this area and just looking for some insight.
Both answers are totally viable. You might also have options on British Airways as an IB codeshare that cut the time in MAD in half.

The 9.10 would get to London by 10:45 or so. By the time your luggage comes out, you'd be on public transportation no earlier than 11:30am. If you choose to take the Underground and save money, you wouldn't get to your hotel until 1pm, when your room might be ready anyhow. If not, you can leave your luggage at the hotel and explore London for a couple of hours.

Alternatively, the Velasquez lounge has showers, so it's a perfectly fine place to spend 3-4 hours in between flights. The 13:35 would only get you to central London in late afternoon, however.
LupineChemist and jonr405 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I have never flown on IB or into/out of MAD but have an IB flight out of VCE to MAD with a 1h55m connection to an AA flight to CLT all in Business.
If the stars align and my flight departs on time, will I have time to visit a lounge albeit briefly and which lounge?
TIA for helping a newbie navigate MAD!
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:26 pm

Yes you should have plenty of time if everything works.

Your procedure will be to depart your VCE flight and follow the signs to the S gates.(take the lift if you can, but shouldn't be so different from the main terminal)

Go down to the train to take you to T4S (hint, first door of second car on the right side gets you in front of everyone for passport control)

When you arrive take the escalator up to passport control.

After exit immigration go up to the main terminal (here the lift gets you up faster)

Once you are forced to look at bright perfume ads while walking through the duty free, you will find the IB Velázquez lounge in the rear of the store. Hard to miss with a bright red entryway.

If all goes well, you should be able to have a solid half hour to 45 minutes in the lounge for a quick drink and bite plus some decent bathrooms should you need that between flights. Do remember that the US gates are at the far end of the terminal and AA will be all the way on the south side (so left when going out of the duty free) and plan a solid 7-10 minute walk to get to the gate plus the additional US security check.
GWFan likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Thank you for the detailed advice!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:13 am

I have questions on which lounge(s) we can visit in Madrid.

My wife and I are flying from the United States to Madrid in Iberia Business class, and then after a 6 hour layover to Portugal in business class. Is it possible to visit the Velázquez lounge without going through security? I know that we will eventually need to go through security to get to the schengen area to get to our flight to Portugal, but I'd rather not go through security twice.

Is there much of a difference between the two lounges (as far as amenities - I know the layout is different)? Is it worth trying to visit both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.