Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:23 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you, fireworksboy. I stand corrected. I had a sneaking feeling that I remembered the wrong city.
you remembered the correct city. But they ended the free zone on Sept 29.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hello

Can anyone confirm that the Luxury King Suite here has a sofabed in the living room? All it says on the website is "furniture" for all their room descriptions.

Thanks!
It does the last two times I stayed there this year.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by missydarlin
you remembered the correct city. But they ended the free zone on Sept 29.
Thank you, missydarlin.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by ryandc99
It does the last two times I stayed there this year.
Thank you very much! ^
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
ZipCar option(s) around Olive 8

I thought I'd bring a tip over from the Grand Hyatt thread because the two don't necessarily travel in tandem.

With a hat tip to ldsant, I've just spent some time looking at the ZipCar situation - and wow. There are dozens of them around Seattle - at least eight cars within easy walking distance.

(I also didn't know of the Hertz LE outlet right in the GH - which I'm not sure was there when I was last there. Or maybe I didn't consider it because Dollar and Budget were less.)

So, I just entered the Olive 8's address - 1635 8th Ave. - on the ZipCar reservation page. Some of the cars are ".10 mile" away. As low as $8/hr., and that includes petrol and t&f. One could take the rapid transit line in from the airport, walk over, grab a car, take care of business, drop it off, even before checking in. Only deficiency is no partner miles/points.

^

[I have no connection to ZipCar except as a customer.]
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:46 am

Hello,

Just thought I'd like to add that the Diamond breakfast is now for the REGISTERED guests in your room. So if you have two, it would be for two. It doesn't cover up to 4 entrees/people anymore.

They told me they were restructuring their breakfast for Diamond to that, which IMO is fair. I think they can be flexible if you talk to them though
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:54 pm

Hello everyone, I thougt I'd write a review since im here. Ive been here for about 30 minutes and already this is favorite Hyatt worldwide.

I first like this say that Im here for holidays. A friend flies out from New York tomorrow and so does my father. I'm on a diamond challenge, and I booked two rooms and use suite upgrades for both. The second room I booked is for my father, and he is only here for two nights compared to my five.

Check in was a breeze, hotel is fairly empty due to thanksgiving. they do have a line for diamonds and plats. The front desk was extremely friendly, asked if I wanted points or the ammenity, which I find out changes often and there is a wideeeee variety of food and beverage choices.

I than asked her if the govenor suite was available(one step up from our suites) , it was not. She said the presidential suite was. Without me askimg, she asked the front desk manager Greg to give me a tour. I was a little hesitant as I knew the upgrade price was going to be way out of my budget but I agreed thinking perhaps I could upgrade my father since he never goes on holiday and he has a recent heart attack so I thought to spoil him, if the price was right.

The presidential suite is very large, about 1800sq ft. it has a kitchen, dining room, a half bathroom and very nicely appointed. After the personal tour, Greg told me that since the hotel isnt that busy, he would see if he can get me a good price on the room(I think he saw me hesitate, I'm also just in my early twenties haha). He told me I would receive a call in my room shortly.

I headed back to my suite, which I think is very nicely appointed amyways, and decided that I couldnt spend more than 100 a night extra to upgrade him for the two nights, as I could take him out to very nice lunch and dinners for around the same price. I knew that he would love the standard suite anyways. I did however mention that I would like to treat my dad as he hasnt taken a property vacation in ages.

Soon after, I received a call from Brittney, the front desk young lady, and she told me that the suite usually goes for 1500 a night. She said the Greg can offer me the two nights at 200 each for the upgrade.While I find this a very fair price for the suite, I already made up my mind that I couldmt spend more than 100 a night. I told her thanks for the very fair offer, but my budget wont allow it and also told her that he will love the standard suite anyways.

She than told me that they will upgrade him two nights just for free. Ive never had this type of treatment as a SPG plat, Hilton gold and Marriott plat. I sincerely thanked her and told her I am very grateful and it will make my fathers stay. I didnt expect any upgrade as the suite upgrade itself was good enough but this takes customer service to the next level.

Some other info, breakfast is full breakfast for everyone registered in the room, up to 4. I booked both rooms, so I get compe breakfast for both, so both my father and my friend will get the free breakfast.

I booked the other half of my stay at the Grand Hyatt but it looks like I will not be leaving. Amazing start to vacation, but did not know there was so many homeless downtown seattle on pike st lol.

Lookinfg forward to surprising my dad tomorrow, he really deserves it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Great Hotel

This is one of my favorite Hyatt's - I've been a regular guest since it opened. Over the past few visits, it's become clear that the hotel is beginning to show its age. This is expected. For example, the veneers are chipping along the edges of the furniture.

Tonight I log my first complaint. After a long journey from ATL - I was greeted w/ a rather ho-hum welcome by M**. Not what I am used to as a Diamond member but no big deal. The biggest problem of the evening were the soiled sheets. Unacceptable! S****, the manager on duty, responded quickly with a sincere apology and another room. She also offered to compensate me with Gold Passport points for my inconvenience.

This is still one of my favorite hotels and S**** did a great job tonight at addressing my concerns.

Last edited by Markie; Nov 27, 2012 at 2:17 am Reason: To remove names of specific employees
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any more details on the breakfast changes mentioned up-thread by any recent guests?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Any more details on the breakfast changes mentioned up-thread by any recent guests?
Two recent stays in the past month. Full breakfast provided for up to 4 in the room. They give you coupons when you check in for the number in your party.

You order what ever you want (including brunch/lunch items on Saturday & Sunday) and all you do is sign and provide the coupons. No charge.

On one stay I didn't make it to breakfast one morning, but ordered coffee to the room. They removed that as well -- automatically. I learned that the hotel allows room service breakfast for the Diamond breakfast if that's what you prefer.

It's a remarkable benefit -- especially on weekends.

I really like this property -- for a lot of reasons. I'll definitely stay here again.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Like I said a few posts ago, I was here for 5 days and I left today. They are redoing the breakfast. You are covered up to 4 guests that are REGISTERED to your room. And I was able to have my breakfast in room, and also my guests who were in the room I paid for received full diamond benefits.

Last edited by SKYEG; Nov 28, 2012 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
They are redoing the breakfast.
What do you mean they are 'redoing' it?

What you and I recently experienced has been the case for some time. Is something new in the works?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:04 pm

all I was told I they are re structuring it. I think in the past you could charge multiple entrees and get the bill waived even if you were the only guest in the room, but now they will only waive one entree for each guest registered in the room.

doesn't make a difference to me as the former was far too generous and could easily be taken advantage of. the portions are huge at urbane anyways
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
SKYEG - I would not expect that next time

...She than told me that they will upgrade him two nights just for free. Ive never had this type of treatment as a SPG plat, Hilton gold and Marriott plat. I sincerely thanked her and told her I am very grateful and it will make my fathers stay. I didnt expect any upgrade as the suite upgrade itself was good enough but this takes customer service to the next level...
This is one of my regular hotels - stay about 10 times per year - and do not get "Free" upgrades. I also find that suite upgrade space is tough to get using diamond certificates here, but have found some availability in the winter time. However, I usually book only 1-2 months ahead, so you may have better luck finding suite upgrade space if you book farther out.

Good Points
  • Hotel is modern, has a nice gym on the second floor and a good sized pool and hot tub.
  • Nice restaurant - tasty food
  • Great location - I use it as my SEA airport hotel for layovers. Hop on the train 3 blocks away and 30 minutes later your at the airport. Heart of downtown.
  • Large standard rooms

Not so good points (for diamonds)
  • No lounge
  • Spotty availability for suites
  • Others have had issues with "free" breakfast (for a while the coupon said only for 1, yet I never had problems with the front desk removing charge for my family)

Also the parking downtown Seattle is expensive - I think its $30 overnight at the parking lot outside across the street.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:48 pm

Parking was no problem, I drove during the day rented from Hertz which is walking distance, and dropped it off at night. Easy way to save $40, and street parking in Seattle is very cheap/free past 4pm or 6pm.

No lounge didn't matter at all, have you seen the lounge at the GH? Can't see why people would spend their time in that hole, there isn't even a bathroom. I'd much rather have appies/happy hour at Urbane(I was in the GH Lounge while I was there as well).

Your points about free upgrades is something I can't comment on, as I was there during the thanksgiving long weekend and booked about 2 weeks in advance and was successful, but I can see in the summer being difficult as Seattle is packed.

There should be ZERO issues for breakfast. My voucher says for one, and they clearly told me it covers up to the amount of people REGISTERED in the room up to 4 people. At check out, one of my rooms had $160 extra charged onto it, but it's because the restaurant staff charged it as "Lunch", not breakfast. That was taken care of in matter of seconds.

Here are some pictures of Seattle and the Luxury King/Presidential suite, sorry for the bad quality, I used my Crapberry.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2e54da25f0

P.S. You do not need to register on facebook to view to pictures, so view away, as I have some detailed pics of the rooms!

And Smilee, I didn't expect that type of treatment this time, and nor do I expect it for the next. Even besides all that, the service and everything about the hotel was above and beyond what I paid for and expected. I guess everyone is different though, I am an early 20's professional/student so I could have lower expectations than a 40 year old senior exec that stays in Park Hyatt's 50+ times a year

Last edited by SKYEG; Nov 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.