Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Thanks for the review; I love Seattle and it’s great to get an updated perspective on Hyatt’s hotels there. I personally like the design aesthetic and location of the Thompson [pity about their shady upgrade behavior - I’d suggest calling them out to corporate], but appreciate the residential feel of the GH… but that one’s due for a renovation, I feel. I’d be into the HR but something about big-box convention hotels scares me a little.

I noticed BeeKind dispensers in the bathroom in your photo above - I wonder if this property is preparing to transition to the Hyatt Centric brand. If the long-talked-about plan to shut down the plain Hyatt brand is real, it would make sense to move this hotel there after a few upgrades.

khabah
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by khabah
Thanks for the review; I love Seattle and it’s great to get an updated perspective on Hyatt’s hotels there. I personally like the design aesthetic and location of the Thompson [pity about their shady upgrade behavior - I’d suggest calling them out to corporate], but appreciate the residential feel of the GH… but that one’s due for a renovation, I feel. I’d be into the HR but something about big-box convention hotels scares me a little.

I noticed BeeKind dispensers in the bathroom in your photo above - I wonder if this property is preparing to transition to the Hyatt Centric brand. If the long-talked-about plan to shut down the plain Hyatt brand is real, it would make sense to move this hotel there after a few upgrades.

khabah
I could absolutely see this as a Centric, for sure. For Hyatt in Seattle, I would likely return to the GH where the Corner Rooms are bigger than most hotels' standard suites and the bathrooms are fantastically luxurious for the price point. The suites at the HR are very nice with much more functional bathrooms than the standard rooms (no half-glass shower) but are in high-demand (TSUs likely necessary).
Old May 26, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United Silver, American Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Completed a one night stay last week - early check-in was offered via the app three hours early which was nice. 2 Queen BR on 16th Floor - good size room (room was bigger than 2 Queen at Thompson).

I liked the layout and design of the hotel. Breakfast at the bagel shop was great and simple - Globalists got $26 per person or an offer to have buffett at the nearby HR. The gym was fantastic here - located on second floor. Absolutely huge for a hotel. I imagine maybe because there are residences here too at hotel? Not sure but anyway nice amenity. Didn't get a chance to try spa/pool/steam/sauna - also located on second floor.

One major issue for us was the sound - awful. No sound proofing whatsoever. That was disappointing at least from the outside the hotel doesn't seem that old or cheap.

Given that I would not stay here again. Location is solid - near Convention Center and GH/HR. I would probably try HR next time or stick w/ Thompson if price is right.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Stayed here a few weeks ago, TSUed to Luxury King suite. Globalist breakfast was at Andare across the street at the HR, although I only took advantage of it once -- choice of hot entree from a list, and can also avail oneself of the continental buffet. I was also given 2 happy hour drink coupons for Tidal+ (Mon-Sat) or Andare (Sunday). Slight confusion at checkout as the breakfast amount showed up on my bill in the app, but the front desk said despite it appearing there it was actually removed from my folio and gave me a printout to confirm.

The area where the bagel shop is, also has a vending machine that sells hot pizza slices in ~5 minutes (dunno the actual heating mechanism but it comes out on a silver sheet that looks exactly like the crisping tray/sleeve for microwave pizza). This is not going to win any awards for pizza, but given the context it was surprisingly decent.

Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
So I see that the Globalist breakfast is at Andare at the HR across the street. Can I have my Globalist breakfast as room service like I often do? I would assume so but would like confirmation if someone has it before. TIA
Old May 9, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That is crazy. I loved the breakfast at Olive 8 when it opened. It's crazy that they're asking globalists to go across the street to get breakfast.
Old May 9, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Until that is re-open, bagel onsite or Andare across the street is a great substitute. Just make sure you avoid meat lover omelete...it got too salty.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:37 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Had 2 night stay - one night paid and one night on points. Received a welcome back email a week before the day.

The hotel is valet only, with a tiny roundabout as the staging area, so drive carefully. It took about 4-10 minutes to receive the car after texting the valet service.

During check-in, the front desk agent noted that they had already merged the two reservations, and I was upgraded to the Luxury King Suite.

Globalist breakfast is offered either at the bagel shop on site, or they'll give you a voucher for complimentary breakfast at Andare. Here's the menu for the bagel shop:

Andare breakfast is the full buffet, which includes the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, non-pork sausage (it changes daily), featured egg dish, breakfast flatbread, and one other hot dish that rotated daily. The cold buffet includes pastries, cheese, charcuterie, cut fruits, yogurt, steel cut oats, and granola. Fresh squeezed orange juice (or at least not from concentrate) and water in a dispenser. You can also order other hot dishes from the server, which include eggs, eggs benedict, waffles, omelets, and vegan breakfast platter. There's no limit on the number of items you can order.

The hotel restaurant Tidal+ was unfortunately a disappointment. The ceviche I ordered was bland and under seasoned, to the point where I asked the bartender for limes to jazz it up. Also, if you have a F&B credit to use up (which you will once they implement the destination fee), the restaurant is closed on Sundays. The highlight is that the cocktails are really creative.

There is also a pizza vending machine next to the bagel shop, along with a water refilling station in the lobby.

Overall, a great stay.

Originally Posted by sapguy
So I see that the Globalist breakfast is at Andare at the HR across the street. Can I have my Globalist breakfast as room service like I often do? I would assume so but would like confirmation if someone has it before. TIA
Olive 8 only has room service when Tidal+ is open, so no room service for breakfast.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
We're locals and stayed here last night after going to see Book of Mormon at the Paramount. I really liked this hotel; my wife did as well but not as much as I did. I selected it to get the brand explorer badge and the fact that it had a pool.

The good:
  • We got upgraded to a suite with the app. As others have said, this room is huge and a nice upgrade over the standard 1 king. This was my first stay as a globalist after getting the 60 nights last year. I am hoping this is a sign of more to come.
  • The bathroom is really nice, well built, and seemed well taken care of.
  • The bagel shop is good. They serve Blazing Bagels, though they are not an actual Blazing Bagels shop. I much prefer a pastry or sandwich and coffee at breakfast rather than a full buffet, and this did the job. I don't know that I would pay the list prices though; it was over $30 for an americano, flat white, one of their bagel sandwiches, and a plain bagel with a small single serve peanut butter container. The tip line, while par for the course in the US... felt tacky. There was no service provided at all and the hotel was already charging a premium for the food.
  • The pool and gym were nice benefits to have, particularly given the frigid weather outside.
  • Valet parking was super quick to get the car.

The not-so-good:
  • It looked like housekeeping was taking shortcuts. Almost all of the stone table and counter surfaces had water rings that indicated they haven't been wiped down or cleaned for a while.
  • The furniture in the room needs a refresh. You could tell they are trying to take good care of it, but the wood was pretty nicked up on the chairs and just generally the furniture is dated and due for a refresh. This isn't the worst I've seen by a long shot, but it was noticeable.
  • For the suites in particular - that entry way and area by the door is wasted space. There's nothing there, not even a coat rack. It's just a very large foyer. My wife really wanted a vanity and this area felt like it could have been used that way.
  • No NBC on the TVs, presumably due to the DirecTV/Tegna dispute. Channel 5 had C-SPAN instead of KING5. This was sort of annoying because there was an NFL playoff game in the afternoon. It was easy enough to stream on my phone, but something to be aware of.

Overall, I liked it and I would visit again. It was much better than the last hotel we stayed at downtown (Hotel 1000, a Hilton LXR property). I agree with the previous comments and see this as a Hyatt Centric once they decide to do a renovation. It is odd to me that both Hyatt has a brand with just a handful of properties and that it is its namesake brand. They should either dump it and rebrand the existing hotels, or actually use it and flag properties as such. I sort of think they should use it as it seems silly not to have a brand simply called "Hyatt", but what do I know.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by sullim4; Jan 14, 2024 at 1:53 pm Reason: Fix formatting
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
Have a stay coming this week. First time at the Olive 8, usually stay at the Hyatt Regency across the street, or the Lake Washington Hyatt Regency. Any recent data points on breakfast still available at Andare? Welcome email we received just mentioned the bagel shop. Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
Two night stay last week. We usually stay at the Hyatt Regency across the street or on Lake Washington, but rate here was significantly lower so we gave it a try. Overall a good stay, nothing really memorable or outstanding about the hotel or stay, but solid all around. Check in we were acknowledged as Globalist, but fastest check in ever. The agent sounded like we were on a speed date with how fast she ran through things. Friendly enough though. Used valet ($59/nt minus $10/nt for destination fee) and service was quick enough both times we got our car.

No room upgrade except to a higher floor. Room on 15th floor, no view to speak of, just the office building across the street. Pretty basic king room with a small fridge. Bathroom had shower only and no separate toilet area. I will say, the shower had the most pressure I've seen in a hotel shower. It was really heavy pressure, almost too much. Room was cleaned on day two without specifically requesting housekeeping. Downside to the room is the HVAC system would cycle off periodically so it would warm up in the middle of the night by going into Eco mode.

We did go to the pool and hot tub area one night and it was pleasant enough. A few families but not super crowded. Pool temperature was 83 and hot tub 105 according to the chart on the wall. Too hot for me in the hot tub! Wife and I also enjoyed the sauna in our respective locker rooms. Nice way to wind down after a day fighting Seattle traffic and work.

Dining-wise we were given the option of breakfast at the bagel shop or across the street at Andare in the HR. We went to Andare both days and enjoyed the option to have items from the continental breakfast buffet as well as ordering eggs or waffles off the menu. Seems every time we go to Andare, the menu changes a bit. I enjoyed an omelette each day, wife had waffles one day and eggs benedict the other. Service was great both days, friendly and attentive. No check presented and nothing showed on our bill. Both nights we also went down to Tidal+ to have a drink. First night we also had happy hour ceviche and seafood soup. Both good. As per destination fee policy, each day $15 removed from Tidal+ bill.

We both enjoyed our stay, but as we talked, we'd rank the Hyatt properties as follows 1A-Hyatt Regency Seattle or 1B-Hyatt Regency Lake Washington. Choice depends on if we need to be in downtown Seattle or further south. 3-Olive 8 and then #4-Grand Hyatt. Last time we stayed at the Grand Hyatt (and first time in years prior to that), room was really dated, even though we got upgraded to a suite. I'd stay again at Olive 8, but again only if a decent price difference from the HR across the street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.