Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First

Hyatt At Olive 8

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt At Olive 8

1635 8th Ave Seattle, WA US 98101

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (6 Photos)

Hyatt At Olive 8

Hi - I couldn't find the master thread, so mods please feel free to move this.

I stayed at the new Hyatt at Olive 8 2/4 - 2/5. I asked the front desk agent when they opened and she said 8 days exactly. The hotel seemed nearly empty when I arrived - no one in the lobby and no other cars in the valet. Although I did arrive at 10pm so the late hour might've contributed to the empty feeling...

Check In

Valet - quick and efficient, just what you'd expect.

The front desk was excellent. She (the front desk agent) had the process down pat and no issues in the reservation. Seemed like she was more experienced than just 8 days on the job... Wonder if they brought in some people from the Grand Hyatt next door...

They did a big speech about the new world-class spa and the new 5-star restaurant in the hotel... I hadn't eaten any dinner yet, so I was already chomping at the bit to get some food... but then she informed me that neither the spa nor the restaurant were open yet. Hmmm just a tease then. However then she said the hotel was offering 50% off room service to all guests: EXCELLENT!

So since it was so late when I arrived and I was in a rush to get some food and sleep, I don't remember too many details of the lobby... everything looked brand new though (obviously)

Room

The room was great - I have no status with Hyatt (Platinum soon...) and so got no upgrade. The standard room however was plenty spacious with a huge bathroom, big flat screen TV, chair and very comfy bed. One interesting note: they have the European-style cardkey lights – you have to leave your card key in the slot to keep the room lights on. When the front desk agent told me about that she asked if I was familiar with those kinds of rooms and I said, “yes, I’ve stayed at European hotels like that.” To which she replied, “oh good, well there’s lots of other European elements to the room.” I smiled not really knowing if she meant European architecture or styles or if there was going to be a bidet in the bathroom! (No bidet…must’ve been the purple bed spread…)

The bathroom had marble flooring and counter top, with a walk in shower.

One thing I didn’t like however is that the shower is open (see the picture) and although the shower head is next to the glass part, you still feel a draft. I couldn’t get quite warm enough in the shower with all the steam escaping… wish they would’ve put in a sliding glass door…

Bathroom had all the typical Hyatt amenities, nothing special.

The desk had these inputs: correct me if I'm wrong, but that's an HDMI port... so just in case you were carrying your Blu Ray player with you... or PS3 or whatever. Might be useful for long stays, but I had no use for it for one night. Still it's something I've never seen before...

Couple more photos of the entry way and mini bar (mini bar has a fridge below, but is not stocked)

Sliding mirrored door to the closet.

Mini-bar

Service

Room Service
Excellent service – ordered the angus burger and a beer and it was there in 20 minutes. I believe it was regularly $16, but thanks to the 50% off the whole meal cost me $19! I’ll take that deal any day.

Check out/Valet

Again, great experience. The only catch was that they didn’t have any regular sized envelopes at the desk… must’ve gotten lost during the opening.
Funny experience at the valet however – I had called ahead to bring my car up – when I get down there I saw my car and hand the attendant my ticket. The guy immediately turns and sprints down the stairs to the garage before I could say anything to stop him. 2 minutes later when he realizes his mistake, he comes sprinting back completely winded and could barely speak he was breathing so hard.

Overall

Overall, I’d highly recommend this hotel – maybe not the greatest location and a far walk from downtown proper, but for me it was perfect. I’ll be frequenting this hotel in the future…

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt At Olive 8?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

ederemer - Thank you for your review - there wasn't a Master Thread before your review because you're the first

Side issue - I wonder how this property fits into Hyatt's portfolio - Park Hyatt (obviously not - and seems to be International oriented these days) - Andaz (doesn't seem "hip" enough from the pictures) - Grand Hyatt (obviously not either - since there is one already in downtown SEA) - Hyatt Regency (possibly) - obviously neither Hyatt Place nor Summerfield.

More notes - I checked some random dates in March - seems like pricing is about $10 less per night than the GH (although there isn't any AAA rates at this property yet).

Last edited by peteropny; Feb 6, 2009 at 7:50 pm
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
It's of Hyatt Regency brand.

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/features/...108+4294967256

Originally Posted by peteropny
ederemer - Thank you for your review - there wasn't a Master Thread before your review because you're the first

Side issue - I wonder how this property fits into Hyatt's portfolio - Park Hyatt (obviously not - and seems to be International oriented these days) - Andaz (doesn't seem "hip" enough from the pictures) - Grand Hyatt (obviously not either - since there is one already in downtown SEA) - Hyatt Regency (possibly) - obviously neither Hyatt Place nor Summerfield.

More notes - I checked some random dates in March - seems like pricing is about $10 less per night than the GH (although there isn't any AAA rates at this property yet).
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Thanks for review. I stumbled onto the new hotel for an upgrade Seattle trip. The design looks a lot like the remodeled Hyatt Regency Houston.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:44 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm not a AAA member, but my corporate rate is $30 less than the GH - which makes this one of the most affordable properties in downtown Seattle for me. I will probably be spending a couple nights a week here now...

One thing I forgot to mention was that although the restaurant is not open in the hotel yet, there is a Ruth's Chris at the GH (right around the corner). And apparently a very good sushi place according to the concierge.

I'm a little bummed I wasn't able to take advantage of the spa though ... perhaps I'll have to spend a weekend here just to try it out
Old May 25, 2009, 1:02 pm

My first stay @ Hyatt at Olive 8

Good Day.
I stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 three days a week ago (Friday,Saturday and Sunday).
The property is brand new.
It was fully booked during my stay and the very professional staff handled it very well from what I was able to witness. Just wish the last bar call did not come at 11.45 but 1.00 am on Sunday night.
The front desk staff works at both the Grand Hyatt and the Hyatt at Olive 8 as both property have the same owner.
As with the Grand Hyatt, service is stellar.
I used one of my 4 Diamond confirmable suite upgrades and was appointed suite 1667.
I am told it is about 800 square feet. Great living quarters with separate sleeping area and plenty of room.
The living quarters come with a wet bar and a fridge (no drinks unless you use the "for a fee" mini bar).
The Hyatt at Olive 8 does not have a "Regency Club" and breakfast for Diamond members is served at Urbane, the hotel restaurant serving Northwest cuisine using only local fresh ingredients.
As a Diamond you have your pick of the entire breakfast menu, a tremendous and quite appetizing value, for free.
The dinner menu is also very good and the staff is very attentive.
As a Diamond you also have the use of the spa/Health Club offering a great swimming/lap pool and an exercise room.
If I compare with the Grand Hyatt where I have stayed many times, the only drawback was the lack of the "grand" Puget Sound view.
This Hyatt is the first LEED-cerified hotel in Seattle."...LEED certification provides verification that a building meets the highest green building performance measures, is environmentaly responsible and is a healthy place to live and work...".
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:19 pm

Brief Report

FTers like more data points, so I'll chime in.

I had a one-night visit last week. I arrived past midnight.

Valet: Pricey but excellent service. Car was always ready by the time I came down. Friendly staff.

Check In/Out: At 12am, there were three agents at the desk. Diamond Status recognized. No discernible upgrade (my room resembled ederemer's almost exactly). I was offered diamond amenity, and told my internet access was free (see immediately below). My rate included a gift card that was not given to me at check in, but rather the next day.

Check out was another matter. At 11am, there was one agent to handle four customers! No one emerged from the back to assist. I used the kiosk, anticipated the t-mobile charge wasn't removed. C'est la vie. All in all, friendly folks, with a few minor blips.

Concierge: Very friendly chap who printed my boarding pass and engaged in fun conversation. I forgot how friendly Seattle folks are. The staff here are proud of their city and of their hotel (and rightfully so).

Room: Nothing new to add to above, except the use of generic Hyatt bath items is disappointing. If they are going for LEED, shouldn't they use something more environmentally-conscious? Same issues with the shower. An odd layout, but no major problems. Think a W room, but with better lighting.

Dining: Excellent breakfast options and attentive service. The room itself is not very interesting. There is a coffee bar by day/wine bar at night that had some interesting offerings. I didn't partake, so someone please do and report back.

Fitness/Spa: This takes the cake. A salt water pool! This alone could have me coming back. How nice it was to swim in an indoor, heated pool and not smell of chlorine for days on end. A very nice touch. The fitness center appeared more spacious than the Elliot. I had a massage by a very competent therapist. The men's locker facilities are not yet complete. It's a cavernous layout, but a harmonious environment.

Verdict: Hyatt customers have two great choices in Seattle. If you prefer the hip/fun vibe, I'd choose this hotel. I think dining and spa choices are better here. I think the rooms are more luxurious at the Elliot, and I also like their Grand Club. Both have outstanding locations and service.

Last edited by 19103_aa; Jun 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm Reason: Coupon already expired, sorry
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:25 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
As a recent Hyatt card holder (base level) I felt an "outsiders view" would be useful:

In two words - loved it ^

Check-in and check-out - freindly and efficient and the front desk staff (the Manager in particular) were truly outstanding - freindly, informative and paitient with us.
Concierge - was very personanable and gave excellent dining advice - very approachable.
Bell staff - were freindly and efficient too.
Bedrooms - excellent IMO; modern, crisp and fresh - with all the obvious necessities - but done with style.
Bathroom - immaculate and well appointed.
Service - overall was second to none.
Urbane restaurant - served excellent breakfasts (no buffets here). The coffee shop/wine bar (also called Urbane but seperate area) was always quiet so service was attentive and (once again) friendly. Offered nice selection cheeses/crackers/cakes/chocolates.

We were booked into a Deluxe King but got upgraded to a (lovely) Luxury Suite (as descibed in an earlier post).

Why can't all Hotels be this way? ^
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Suppose I should cancel one of my two Grand Hyatt nights in August and book this place for a night to give it a try...not to mention doubling my Mastercard and Diamond amenity bonuses, and of course status renewal stay count. In the reviews I noticed that reference was made to this property sharing the same staff as the Grand around the corner. Do you suppose when I check out of the Grand, I will be checked back into the Olive by the same person?

Seriously though, it does seem to be worth checking out. Seems Seattle has two top notch Hyatts. Now it's only too bad Portland doesn't even have one!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
My husband and I stayed a night last week and enjoyed it very much. Excellent service throughout. Breakfast at the Urbane was a a real hit with me. Still fantasizing about the delicious eggs benedict! Looking forward to returning.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:13 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Good to hear these reports as I have a trip coming up in October and was trying to decide whether or not to give the Olive 8 a try -- our last stay at the GH was fantastic.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Enjoying my stay tonight on the 17th floor. Quite impressed with the fitness center (no photo, though) and warm welcome by Megan at the front counter.

Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Staying here tonight as I have a very early meeting. No upgrade received. Took over an hour and I hadn't received an Ethernet cable so I went down to get one (had made 3 phone calls). Urbane is a nice restaurant but the burger was really horrible (left it uneaten after 1/2 bite; not offered to have it taken off the bill). Spa is wonderful; have treatments scheduled when I'm back on Saturday. Heather at the spa was fantastic!

Note - they have promos at the spa via Facebook and Twitter.

The concierge was really nice and even remembered my name when I walked back through the lobby. I like the location of this property.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Try the goat cheese and zucchini fritata for breakfast.

Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I had a two-night visit last week.

Check In/Out: I arrived just past 1PM and was checked in immediately & cheerfully. No discernible upgrade (my room resembled tom911's almost exactly). I was offered diamond amenity, and told my internet access was free and given a card to call the Diamond Coordinator anytime I needed anything.

Check out: Bill was correct (they removed a T-Mobile charge before printing) and didn't bat an eye when I presented 2 gift certificates.

Staff: Very friendly. Kiosk was not working properly, so concierge offered to print boarding pass and offered any help. Front desk cheerfully gave umbrellas when I was raining.

Room: I agree with PHLbuddy that use of generic Hyatt bath items is disappointing. If they are going for LEED, shouldn't they use something more environmentally-conscious? I liked everything about the room, including the built-in panel at the desk with outlets, TV connector, etc. The sliding door to the bathroom is much better than how W's execute them: this one is solid and closes with overlap, giving you complete privacy. My only complaint was the noise from other rooms and the ice machine in the hall, apparently thin walls.

Dining: Not so attentive service, but good food. I used the coffee bar one morning and they after asking and some confusion, they offered juice/muffin/coffee in place of the Diamond breakfast. I like that it turns into a wine bar at night. I wish every hotel had something like this.

I'd go back, especially after the front desk told me that they normally would have put a Diamond in at least a corner, if not suite. But they had a large wedding who purchased them during my stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.