Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Another recent experience (Friday night):

Check-In - noise in the lobby area resembled an aLoft with a late-evening check-in. Check-in associate was very nice but I didn't receive any special room of note.

Check-Out - hotel couldn't find my tip on the diamond breakfast so I left with no charge (Next Big Thing night).

Staff - everyone outside Urbane (restaurant) was great.

Room - appointed well, comfortable, view of an office building as the hotel is the lower part of the Olive 8 profile. The door slamming is indeed apparent.

Dining - poor attention to detail and ambivalent service in diamond breakfast. Had to hail someone standing in the hall merely to get coffee, steak overcooked (even visibly), was not checked upon after being served.

Fitness Center - excellent; well appointed and good fitness equipment and yoga room. Even considered getting a spa treatment but took a nap instead.

Late Check-Out - 2 p.m. was no problem at all.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: British Air, Virgin, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
IMO the Olive 8 is not even close to the GH next door. The club at the GH is fantastic and the overall room quality is far superior to Olive 8. I had a poor meal at Urbane and the ambiance was non-existent. There was only a single person tending the front desk during check-in and check-out. Overall a poor experience for a Hyatt.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
My sister and I just had a lovely long weekend in Seattle. Since I have a son in the area we're here frequently to visit and I wanted to try the two Hyatts. I've always stayed at the Sheraton Seattle, but recent Hyatt stays have me re-thinking my loyalty to SPG.

Our first two nights were at the Grand Hyatt, moving to Olive 8 last night. I thought we might be too old and hopelessly unhip to stay there - and we probably were - but everyone was too lovely to mention it. Delightful stay. We were upgraded upon check in to an executive suite, as described in an earlier post. It wasn't requested or expected, so it was a nice and welcome surprise. Huge room, and lovely. Not a great view, but I didn't care.

We thoroughly enjoyed Happy Hour at Urbane last night. Great food, average wine. Breakfast at Urbane this morning was fabulous as was the staff. What a great benefit for diamonds this is.

I can't really say which Hyatt I prefer here, but it will definitely be one of them. With all the disparaging comments here lately about the Sheraton Seattle, I regretfully admit it won't be there.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:13 pm

For the month of March, I have stayed at the Olive 8, Grand Hyatt and Sheraton off and on. The Olive 8 is my favorite hotel so far. Some notes:

Pool:
This is probably why I like the hotel so much. You can actually do real lap swimming! The pool is 3-lanes and ~23 yards long. It is also not too hot at ~80 degrees. (Many leisure pools are too hot for real swimming.) The only thing missing is a pace clock.

Rooms:
Modern, clean and quiet. I have never had noise issues at this hotel nor have I had to break out the ear plugs. My only dislike about the room is the shower. Since the shower is not fully enclosed, it can get a bit chilly.

Staff:
I have never had any special requests, but they have also been very fast to process my check in and check out (with costco certs).

Rate:
The AAA rate makes this hotel very reasonable and is usually cheaper than the Grand Hyatt, Sheraton and Westin. But, I have seen rates jump to over $400/night.

Many food options in the downtown area and a short walk to belltown for less touristy options.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
I am staying here currently. After a late night, i was thinking how nice it would be to sleep in. At 645 am our alarm began chirping loudly. Now wide awake and groggy. Thanks for changing your batteries often!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just had a one night stay here. Nothing really unusual to note.

Room is nice. Location is pretty good. No diamond room upgrade that I could discern...my room was next to a suite though. No lounge.

The breakfast at the restaurant...diamonds get a $30 credit to spend at the restaurant for breakfast. I was there at Easter and went down for breakfast Sunday at 11am...they said that the only option was the Easter Buffet for $40--they called it brunch but it was more breakfast than lunch items...so with taxes and tip, the next cost was about $20ish after the credit. The food was fine...nothing special though.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by icurhere2
Check-Out - hotel couldn't find my tip on the diamond breakfast so I left with no charge (Next Big Thing night).
I left the tip on the restaurant bill yesterday and wanted to make sure, at checkout, that I was charged for it, so I asked. It wasn't there. I was told the tip was covered as part of my Diamond breakfast and assured it would get to the server. I really do enjoy breakfast here.

I was back on the 17th floor again in a king (had a double last time). Did make it down to the health club between 4-5pm for a workout on one of their treadmills. All of 3 of us in a rather large facility. Two photos here and rest linked below.

Old May 5, 2010, 7:45 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I'm hoping someone can clear up a little mystery in my family. My Dad travels to Seattle a lot for work, and he's also a Hyatt Diamond. He swears that this property was an ANdAZ at one time, or was going to be, because he saw the signage on the building. Because it's so new, it might have even been before it opened. He says it's the same Hyatt that's at "Eighth and Olive".

I hardly ever go to Seattle, and have never seen this property, but I told him, no, there was never an ANdAZ property in Seattle and that the brand is new, with only a handful of properties, so he must be mistaken. Maybe he saw a nearby billboard or advertisement perhaps?

Anyone know what he might have seen to lead him to believe this? Or is he just crazy!? lol

Last edited by JonathanIT; May 5, 2010 at 8:39 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 5, 2010, 8:33 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Definitely never was an Andaz - not sure what it was "supposed" to be but its in the HR heirarchy.

1st Andaz - London
2nd Andaz - Los Angeles / West Hollywood
3rd Andaz - Wall Street (could be 4th)
4th Andaz - San Diego (could be 3rd)
5th Andaz - 5th Avenue (NY) - opening in August

Announced Andaz(s) - Amsterdam, Austin
Old May 20, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Olive 8 is a Hyatt Regency property. I've been to Olive 8 and I like the Seattle Grand Hyatt property better. The Grand Hyatt has more a Zen feel where as Olive 8 has a stylish modern look, but somewhat of a cold feeling. It's all a matter of personal taste.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at this hotel late last week and had a pretty decent stay. Nothing stood out as particularly bad, and nothing (perhaps other than the breakfast, which was great) stood out as particularly good. Would probably return to the GH in the future as a Diamond, since they upgrade so suites if available. I wrote a full review of this property with pictures, which can be found here, for anyone interested.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Renard
The breakfast at the restaurant...diamonds get a $30 credit to spend at the restaurant for breakfast. I was there at Easter and went down for breakfast Sunday at 11am...they said that the only option was the Easter Buffet for $40--they called it brunch but it was more breakfast than lunch items...so with taxes and tip, the next cost was about $20ish after the credit. The food was fine...nothing special though.
O8 need to clearify the Diamond Breakfast amenity. I had breakfast several times here never exceeding $20. Sometimes I was no charged at all and other times I have been charged from $5 to $7.50 for a $20 breakfast. I asked FD and they don't even know how this was calculated. O8, pls clearify this to your guest when they check in.

Other than the breakfast issue, the hotel is great and the FD folks are fantastic! But I do like the GH too because they always give Diamonds a suite and the view from the high floors are breath taking.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The closer I get to this hotel (inside), the more I wonder why it's not an Andaz. It seems just a chef and a couple of aphorisms on the walls short of being one. Otherwise, I find nothing to distinguish it. Nothing is wrong with it -- it's clean and modern, but that's it. Staff says they didn't "earn" Andaz status. They are proud that it's Hyatt's only green hotel. But except for the recycle bins in the rooms, and the card-key-operated everything - as at the Newport Beach property - I didn't detect anything else. Granted, this probably saves a bundle on several accounts, and is not an inconvenience in the mild Seattle climate. But it would seem that the "Green" bar is, and is going to be, a difficult one for them to chase. (If the back operation does green things, that's good.)

Back to the Grand.

Last edited by Firewind; Jun 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
My only complain

Had couple stays back in January. The only complains is the in-room safe. It's really disappointing to see a newly constructed modern hotel stuck with such old-style and small in-room safe.

It's especially jarring after a recent trips to PH Washington and used their large, with power-outlet build-in in-room safe. Until then, I always associated those with international properties. But it couldn't have increased the in-room cost that much for them if they just put those in from the beginning.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
5 stays here this year = 0 upgrades as a Diamond

12 stays across the street at Grand Hyatt = 12 upgrades

I no longer stay here unless I need to hop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.