Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:53 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How many people registered in the reservation/room? I always thought the limit was 2 but then again I don't travel with kids.
Only 2, which is part of the problem. The website will only let you register a certain amount depending on the room. Sometimes its not actually possible to put the correct number of guests in.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Only 2, which is part of the problem. The website will only let you register a certain amount depending on the room. Sometimes its not actually possible to put the correct number of guests in.

Depends on your definition of "correct" number of guests. Usually a higher number of guests requires a larger room so it's understandable that they wouldn't allow 4 guests for a standard room. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Depends on your definition of "correct" number of guests. Usually a higher number of guests requires a larger room so it's understandable that they wouldn't allow 4 guests for a standard room. Just my two cents.
It is a problem when you are reserving a regular king room and applying a suite certificate.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Style Over Substance

Had my first stay here last night. The hotel reminded me of a W hotel in that they are trying to be cool and hip. I had tried to use a diamond suite upgrade a couple of days before but was told all of the suites were booked. I could see online that they were selling Luxury King suites. Perhaps that suite isn't meant for the diamond suite upgrade.

When we entered the hotel to check in, one of the staff members was playing the the drums bongo style on a piece of artwork in the lobby. My wife starts dancing to his drumbeat and gets approval from him and the rest of the staff.

While I am checking in, the bongo man takes down some info from my wife because he wants to send her a complimentary drink. He asks her if she wants white or red wine. He asks my son if he likes Thomas Kemper (root beer, I suppose). He is using a paper form to take down info from my wife, supposedly to provide us with a couple of complimentary drinks.

I ask about the diamond breakfast and the front desk person says it will be free as long as we only order one entree each plus juice and coffee. I thought it was odd that they might think we would order more than one entree each.

After waiting almost an hour for our complimentary drinks to be delivered to our room, we put the do not disturb sign up and go to bed.

When we go down for breakfast in the morning, we approach the Urbane restaurant and all of the lights are turned off and no one can be seen. It's about 8:15am on a Sunday. I go to the front desk and ask where is the breakfast being served and they point me to the dark Urbane restaurant. We wander in and someone finally greets us. There were some lights on but they were set at the lowest level.

As we are waiting on our food, we see several other people look puzzled as they peer into the restaurant. Eventually, more people venture in and after a while they turn the lights up a bit.

The breakfast fare was reasonably good. My wife and son had meals that came with toast and both had ordered wheat toast. When the food was delivered there were two pieces of wheat toast in a bowl with some butter in a dish. We thought that maybe they had only brought out one of the two portions of toast. When we asked, they said that each person gets one piece and that the bread was extra big country slices. We all thought it was a bit odd.

Overall, the hotel was nice but it just had a strange vibe about it. I have stayed several times at the Grand Hyatt and prefer it over the Olive 8. I realize that one shouldn't write off a hotel based on one visit. Obviously, other people like this place. It just didn't do much for us.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:33 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
The toast is some of the best I have ever had. I agree that the portions of the toast (one slice per person) are not sufficient. Never had the lights off issue in the restaurant, however.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
As somebody who has literally spent the last 5 months at both the Grand Hyatt and Olive 8 I have to say that the staff at these two properties are some of the most extraordinary staff people I have ever encountered at any hotel. They are the main reason Hyatt captured so much of my business this year (over Starwood and Marriott). The breakfast at Urbane is excellent imo and well done. Every morning as I am able I have the waffle and ask for fresh berries (without the strawberries due to allergies). No problems, no issues, no fuss. I also always get my iced tea as well. I had a piece of toast the other day. The toast is a huge piece (thick) from Macrina Bakery here in Seattle. I am sure if you had asked for another piece the staff would have been happy to have brought it to you.

The hotel is very eco-conscious and proud of the LEED designation, etc. so the lights are kept lower than other hotels. Also, mornings in Seattle are dark these days (Sunday was especially dark with the storm here) so it may have seem physically darker but I am sure it wasn't any attempt to be "cool" it was just that it was a cold, dark, and stormy winter Sunday morning in Seattle.

As far as the complimentary drinks - why didn't you call down to ask what happened? Again, I find the staff at these two hotels to really want to please their customers. I have seen so many examples of so many different people going out of their way to assist people that I think customer service is at the top of their list these days and they really seem to make an effort to do what's right. They don't have many suites at Olive 8 but when they can accommodate Diamonds they do seem to want to make things right for their Diamond members and are one of the few Hyatts I've experienced where I'm given the card with all of the listed benefits where I can make a choice of my own.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
How fun!

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to insert the pic I took but today the Olive 8 had an inagural festivities event! Fran's Chocolates and champagne were given to Diamond members to celebrate the inauguration (Fran's are President Obama's favorite chocolates and are made here in Seattle). Such a nice surprise and treat. As always the hotel staff was gracious and lovely in celebrating.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Have 2 suite upgrades confirmed again in 2 weeks at one of the best Hyatt hotels in North America! Taking my +1 and two friends this time.. Going back to rainy Seattle just so they can experience the exceptional service/terrific diamond breakfast(Also not having to pay sales tax as Albertan's is awesome lol).

Perhaps an upgrade to the Presidential suite again?! Looking forward to seeing the great staff there again!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:04 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
any Plat experiences at this hotel lately?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I'm here right now on the iMac in the room... I booked two rooms, used suite ups for both. I got the biggest Luxury Suite for one room, and the Governors suite for the other. The Luxury suite is right underneath the Governors suite too haha! It is much bigger than the last Luxury suite I got here.. Having a great time again!

PS: This room is booked on a PLAT reservation with the AAA Breakfast Offer Sweet Willie... But I know the Manager here so I think he just hooks me up every time I'm here. I'd be surprised almost if he didn't just give me a suite if I didn't use a suite res, as I got the Prez suite last time.

They redid the breakfast, it is now $26.50 a day a person limit, not including tax or gratuities and those are included.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I'm here right now on the iMac in the room... I booked two rooms, used suite ups for both. I got the biggest Luxury Suite for one room, and the Governors suite for the other. The Luxury suite is right underneath the Governors suite too haha! It is much bigger than the last Luxury suite I got here.. Having a great time again!

PS: This room is booked on a PLAT reservation with the AAA Breakfast Offer Sweet Willie... But I know the Manager here so I think he just hooks me up every time I'm here. I'd be surprised almost if he didn't just give me a suite if I didn't use a suite res, as I got the Prez suite last time.

They redid the breakfast, it is now $26.50 a day a person limit, not including tax or gratuities and those are included.
Its great that the property treats elites well ^. Planning on hopping between here and the
GH next time for the extra stay credit.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hhonors Diamond
Had a great stay here recently despite a hiccup during checkin. We tried to checkin early (around 2pm) and were given the option of waiting for a room on the top floor or staying on the 8th floor. Gave them my phone number to call when top floor room was available. Received a call around 3:30.

When we stopped by the front desk to pick up our keys, it was on the 14th floor which I thought was odd but didn't question it. Turns out we were given the wrong room and walked in on someone in the room we were assigned. Front desk was very apologetic and gave us $100 credit for a pretty minor inconvenience. BTW, our rate was booked through Priceline for $115.

Room was very modern and spacious. Diamond amenity was a bottle of Washington chardonnay and some dried cherries and nuts. We used the $100 credit for pedicures in the spa the next morning, followed by brunch in Urbane. I was told Diamond breakfast could be used for brunch, which lasts until 2pm on Sundays (and Saturdays too, I believe). We were also told it was good for an entree and 2 drinks per person, but I ordered a side of pancakes and it was also taken off at checkout. Breakfast was fantastic! I had the crab eggs benedict and BF had smoked salmon omelette that was stuffed with salmon.

Had a lot of interaction with Megan at the front desk and she was fantastic! Will definitely be back.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I had two stays here last week, including one in a 16th floor suite:

Always well looked after at this property.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:15 pm

I haven't asked the hotel yet or even called Hyatt, but I'm curious... Does anyone think I might be able to do 15,000 points per night for two nights and get a Premier Two Queen room? I would be more than happy to get a regular Deluxe Two Queen, but they seem to be all out for my dates. The Premier is available, and it's not exactly a "Suite" because they have the "Luxury Suite" category for suite upgrades or 23,000 point nights.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
You should just jump on the suite award before they are gone. Why do you think GP would give you the premier room with the points of a standard room?

Originally Posted by Kurosawa22
I haven't asked the hotel yet or even called Hyatt, but I'm curious... Does anyone think I might be able to do 15,000 points per night for two nights and get a Premier Two Queen room? I would be more than happy to get a regular Deluxe Two Queen, but they seem to be all out for my dates. The Premier is available, and it's not exactly a "Suite" because they have the "Luxury Suite" category for suite upgrades or 23,000 point nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.