Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt at Olive 8 (Seattle) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
First time heading up to Seattle in 20 years to meet a friend. Wanted to see if anyone would weigh in on their feelings of Hyatt Olive 8 vs. The Grand Hyatt down the block. Also, have hit up Yelp extensively, but would greatly appreciate any recommendations on modestly priced restaurants, lounges and bars in the area. Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:22 pm

IMO both are excellent hotels. I prefer the Grand due to Sound views from the high floors. My experience at the Olive is very good rooms but views were mostly limited to other buildings.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:22 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
First time heading up to Seattle in 20 years to meet a friend. Wanted to see if anyone would weigh in on their feelings of Hyatt Olive 8 vs. The Grand Hyatt down the block. Also, have hit up Yelp extensively, but would greatly appreciate any recommendations on modestly priced restaurants, lounges and bars in the area. Thanks!
Both hotels are great. I think what you need to decide is if free restaurant breakfast > lounge access. I like popping up to the lounge for water/tea/snacks, and the afternoon snackage can help stretch your meal budget. But I'm pretty partial to the Tomato soup/grilled cheese on the Sunday Brunch menu at Urbane in the O8

Tamarind Tree in the International District or its sister restaurant Long Provincial downtown.

Hit up one of the many food trucks.

take the water taxi across to Marination Ma Kai. Gorgeous views and awesome food.

You can get a moderately priced meal at just about any restaurant if you go during Happy Hour.

Ruth's Chris (in the Grand Hyatt) and Urbane both have nice happy hour options.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Great, thanks so much BobR and missydarlin for the great insight. Much appreciated!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chubbuni13
One last thing to consider is how much you want a suite and if you're using a suite upgrade or not...Grand Hyatt has always upgraded me to a suite at check-in as a Diamond, but at Olive 8 I've always had to use a Diamond suite upgrade cert (or Daily Rate + points), if I want a suite.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
WARNING: Olive 8 Construction Going On

Construction is going on at the Olive 8 for the next 16 weeks. It is beyond noisy. Many people were woken up this morning (jackhammering) early. The jackhammering is on floor 6 but I am on floor 14 and the guy in the elevator that I spoke with was on the 17th floor and we heard it as though it was right next door. He said that his room was literally shaking. The construction has been going on all day. They are closing the hotel for a few days when they are working on the lobby (I have to move to the Grand during this time).

Just wanted to give folks a heads-up. You definitely may want to book elsewhere during this time.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
UPDATE re: Construction

Originally Posted by ldsant
Construction is going on at the Olive 8 for the next 16 weeks. It is beyond noisy. Many people were woken up this morning (jackhammering) early.

Just wanted to give folks a heads-up. You definitely may want to book elsewhere during this time.
Would strongly suggest booking elsewhere. The jackhammering goes on all day Monday and Tuesday. I have been here trying to work and have con calls - no go. Went to Urbane - the music is so loud and annoying you can't get any work done there either (and yes, I did ask if it could be turned down). Since the Olive 8 does not have a lounge or any other "quiet" area I'm giving those of you a warning about booking here. The lobby tiling has finished so you can walk through the lobby but the bathroom redos are still going on rather loudly.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Just upgraded into a Luxury King Suite for my trip at the end of the month. Is there a pullout bed in the suite?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by teese35
Just upgraded into a Luxury King Suite for my trip at the end of the month. Is there a pullout bed in the suite?
Yes in the living room... Quite nice as well
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:59 pm

When is the construction going to end? Checking in 3/1 will it still be under construction then?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
It seems like you have some guests, if you aren't keen on fighting over 1 toilet, make sure your luxury king has the 1/2 bath.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
It seems like you have some guests, if you aren't keen on fighting over 1 toilet, make sure your luxury king has the 1/2 bath.
So only some of the Luxury Suites have 1-1/2 baths?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:18 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Yes, IIRC the one I had a few years ago only had 1 through the bedroom.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Yes, without question. I've had a suite 4 or 5 times (and I believe a different one each time) and only had one with the extra half-bath one of those times.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Yes, IIRC the one I had a few years ago only had 1 through the bedroom.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes, without question. I've had a suite 4 or 5 times (and I believe a different one each time) and only had one with the extra half-bath one of those times.
Can I call and request one of the suites with the extra 1/2 bath now or does it have to be done when checking in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.