Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
So Andaz Twin and King rooms available this Saturday but I get the unavailable with points message when I click on Show Hyatt GP Points. What gives?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:42 am

we will visit london in august this year...
would you recommend the andaz for a visit with your +1 or the HR Churchill ?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by cs1985
we will visit london in august this year...
would you recommend the andaz for a visit with your +1 or the HR Churchill ?
Go for the HR Churchill, it's more like a grand hyatt than a regency to be honest. The overall experience will be much better.

I stayed at the Andaz again last weekend and could hear the toilet flushing noises all throughout the first night. Strangely, I didn't hear it on the following two nights.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I just got back from Europe. Stayed at the Andaz 1-2 June. This was a weekend. At a very good rate; for some reason (my second time), I was able to book the room cheaper on the phone than online. The rate was 104 GBP on the phone vs 124 GBP online.
I used a suite upgrade cert; well worth it.

Observations:
Rates are MUCH cheaper on weekends than weekdays. The woman who brought us to our room said that it is mostly a business hotel where it's full on weekdays and then they offer low rates on weekends to fill the rooms.

I never noticed the flushing sounds from other rooms, but I kept the bathroom door closed. The woman who showed us the room said that their plumbing system required them to evacuate waste water to the roof rather than below the building. The loud sounds are due to the water being pumped up to the roof. We were on the second floor so that may be why we didn't notice the noise as much; it may be louder the higher your room.

I didn't see any food or drink spread in the lobby during the evening (Saturday). No lounge.

Free breakfast for Diamonds.

The hotel is located in a part of town where most retail is closed on weekends - pubs, etc.

It is a short walk to the Tower of London. Also The Monument http://www.themonument.info/ I recommend going to The Monument; it's 311 steps up but only costs 3 GBPs and is supposed to have as good a view as The Eye.

Nice room.

The rate was a bargain and the hotel was nice. I'd recommend staying there if the price is right. The HR Churchill was almost 3x the rate of the Andaz for the night I stayed there.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I just got back from Europe. Stayed at the Andaz 1-2 June. This was a weekend. At a very good rate; for some reason (my second time), I was able to book the room cheaper on the phone than online. The rate was 104 GBP on the phone vs 124 GBP online.

Observations:
Rates are MUCH cheaper on weekends than weekdays. The woman who brought us to our room said that it is mostly a business hotel where it's full on weekdays and then they offer low rates on weekends to fill the rooms.

I never noticed the flushing sounds from other rooms, but I kept the bathroom door closed. The woman who showed us the room said that their plumbing system required them to evacuate waste water to the roof rather than below the building. The loud sounds are due to the water being pumped up to the roof. We were on the second floor so that may be why we didn't notice the noise as much; it may be louder the higher your room.

I didn't see any food or drink spread in the lobby during the evening (Saturday). No lounge.
Not even cookies?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by MonicaL
Not even cookies?
We had chocolates delivered to the room. There may have been cookies in the lobby; I didn't look for them.
Besides, they had two jars full of stuff in the room. One was salty snacks; I had one of those - something along the lines of trail mix. My son took ~2/3 of the jarful of different chocolate candies; he said he'd never seen that type of candies before (Cadbury, etc).

I really liked the hotel. It was our first night in London so we did The Monument that afternoon and then walked across the London Bridge (new one, not the one in Lake Havasu ) to a local farmer's market recommended by the nice woman who checked us in. That was a lot of fun; we ate a bit of local food and had a couple of pints there.

The next day (Sunday), we spent most of the day at the Tower of London. We were given a late checkout; 3 or 4 PM ... I can't remember what I asked for. Hotel staff was great. We checked out on Sunday due to the rates tripling and wanting to be closer to the 'tourist' part of London.
I'd highly recommend checking in on a weekend to see the Tower of London. I don't think I'd stay during the week as a tourist, since this is really a business hotel.

We also really liked the free breakfast. We ate in the 1901 and were allowed to both order (we both ordered eggs benedict ^ ) off the menu and grab from the buffet. They had great smoked salmon on the buffet and a wide selection of foods.

I would definitely stay here again.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I stay here quite a lot and have never managed to get a weekend rate that low. We stayed last weekend and the cheapest rate was £146 which isnt too bad. We were upgraded to a small suite which was nice.

The wine and snacks are a bit hit and miss. The wine used to be left out but apparently disappeared too fast so it is now in a cupboard at the back of the reception area. The food appears at very irregular intervals and seldom lasts long.

My amenity was one cracker and three miniscule slices of cheese - unfortunately they weren't offering a 1,000 points instead.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I stay here quite a lot and have never managed to get a weekend rate that low. We stayed last weekend and the cheapest rate was £146 which isnt too bad. We were upgraded to a small suite which was nice.

The wine and snacks are a bit hit and miss. The wine used to be left out but apparently disappeared too fast so it is now in a cupboard at the back of the reception area. The food appears at very irregular intervals and seldom lasts long.

My amenity was one cracker and three miniscule slices of cheese - unfortunately they weren't offering a 1,000 points instead.
I booked the government rate (military reservist). I just looked for the next several weekends and couldn't find anything close to the rate I got at the beginning of June. I even looked for Sep/Oct and couldn't find anything close to what I was able to book the room for - it looks like I was extremely lucky. Not to mention that the weather was fantastic during our visit; sunny almost every day.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy

I didn't realise they had a choice

at Andaz hotels worldwide; a choice of 1,000 bonus points or a locally inspired amenity;
http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/benefits/...ip_diamond.jsp
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back at the hotel and disappointed. The last time I was upgraded to a nice suite that was a real suite. It appears there are not many of those because this time they told me I was upgraded to an "Andaz Large Suite."

Someone who worked on the Andaz design in NYC must have named the rooms here because it wasn't even close to being a suite, just a larger room. When I "discussed" this, they took me to another Andaz Large Suite which was even worse -- it had that horrible furniture room divider and a bathroom the size of a postage stamp, with a tiny shower/bath combination.

They say that they will give me more options tomorrow, but I am not only disappointed, I think they are committing a petty form of fraud when they call these rooms suites. Hogwash!

I stayed the earlier part of my trip at the Churchill and now I am disappointed that I didn't just return there.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Back at the hotel and disappointed. The last time I was upgraded to a nice suite that was a real suite. It appears there are not many of those because this time they told me I was upgraded to an "Andaz Large Suite."

Someone who worked on the Andaz design in NYC must have named the rooms here because it wasn't even close to being a suite, just a larger room. When I "discussed" this, they took me to another Andaz Large Suite which was even worse -- it had that horrible furniture room divider and a bathroom the size of a postage stamp, with a tiny shower/bath combination.

They say that they will give me more options tomorrow, but I am not only disappointed, I think they are committing a petty form of fraud when they call these rooms suites. Hogwash!

I stayed the earlier part of my trip at the Churchill and now I am disappointed that I didn't just return there.
I'm with you on this one underwhelmed by Andaz Liverpool in everyway from a product and recognition stance
Except the nice professional team members. The beds are the one other upside here much better than Churchill

But for 100 other reasons its only a Hyatt Churchill world for me when considering the two Hyatts in London
The new InterCon has a fantastic hard product room wise and nicer public areas.
Id reckon I'd rather have their standard room then a suite at Andaz
The deception is that Hyatt has allowed its hotels to damage the reputation of its program by allowing hotels to rename basic rooms as suites to by pass on actually upgrading.
It's very sad that a number of the nicer hotels now do this.
If the guest doesn't get upset the hotel gets away with it and Hyatt looks like other way.
The hotels count on some guests not knowing the difference. Hyatt really needs to step in and set the standard on revenue award or upgrade IMHO
Hope it goes better for you tomorrow
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I switched from my "large suite that isn't a suite" to a slightly smaller real suite today. The executive suites at the Churchill are more conventional but still nicer IMO. Still, this will do for my present stay.

Did the buffet at 1901 this morning for breakfast and I thought the service and buffet were quite good. As others have posted, they will let you order any hot dish you want off the menu, but there were a bunch of hot choices on the buffet that worked just fine for me. This is one thing that is better than the club breakfast at the Churchill, so a good value for Diamonds.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
I switched from my "large suite that isn't a suite" to a slightly smaller real suite today. The executive suites at the Churchill are more conventional but still nicer IMO. Still, this will do for my present stay.

Did the buffet at 1901 this morning for breakfast and I thought the service and buffet were quite good. As others have posted, they will let you order any hot dish you want off the menu, but there were a bunch of hot choices on the buffet that worked just fine for me. This is one thing that is better than the club breakfast at the Churchill, so a good value for Diamonds.
+1 totally agree
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The last time I was upgraded to a nice suite that was a real suite.
I assume this was on a confirmed Diamond suite upgrade? Then I would get your disappointment, or even more, about a suite not really being a suite.

If it was just a regular (free) upgrade, then maybe not so much. You might still be disappointed but that would mostly be due to your own sense of entitlement. Still a valid reason to be disappointed, but it wouldn't really warrant your rant about "petty fraud".

Still the matter seems to have been resolved to your satisfaction....

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 am
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Would love some advice from anyone who has stayed here and the Churchill.

I'll be in London in November for 4 nights and am contemplating spending 108,000 Hyatt points for a "suite" at the Andaz Liverpool Street OR 133,000 Hyatt points for a "suite" at the Churchill.

Which would you do and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.