Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a decent hotel and I know that personally since I stayed there last about 6 weeks ago. However, it's not a luxury hotel, so I am going to move it to the Hyatt forum where I am sure the mods will add it to the extensive thread on this hotel already there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
We had a good stay recently and have at last found where the quiet rooms are located (facing the road with the entrance to the hotel). A very generous welcome gift was a surprise and possibly worth upgrading to a suite for (we used points). It was great to see the Masonic Temple and we had a good meal in 1901.

Full review with pictures on Driven2travel.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
My favorite hotel in London and fantastic location for work in the city of London. One stop to Bank Station
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I had a booking here for a couple of weeks time using my corporate rate. I got an email for a Reservation Change. The only difference is that the price has gone up! Surely the price is guaranteed once a reservation has been confirmed?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I had a booking here for a couple of weeks time using my corporate rate. I got an email for a Reservation Change. The only difference is that the price has gone up! Surely the price is guaranteed once a reservation has been confirmed?
My guess is that the rate now includes VAT whereas before it didn't. There was a similar change in rates at the Churchill.

It is now a legal obligation for the hotels to quote all rates inclusive of VAT.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Doh! Apologies for missing the bl33ding obvious
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Doh! Apologies for missing the bl33ding obvious
I knew what it was, having received a similar slew of emails from the Churchil and spoken with Customer Service, but I don't think it was at all obvious, though the emails do state the rate includes VAT. It would have been simple to include a covering note saying that hotels are now required to quote a VAT-inclusive rate, so that rate is now shown--characterizing a new, higher rate as a "reservation change" without explanation can only cause needless concern.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Used a suite voucher for our last stay and got a huge suite on the 3rd floor. There is a lot about this hotel that is positive but it never quite makes it 10/10 for me.

I dropped off our bag as I had some meetings across town. When I came back I was checked in very quickly and the bag was already in the room. There was a bottle of wine and some sweets and nuts. Plus a note for somebody who wasn't me - that's happened on my last 3 stays!

My wife joined me later and we decided to have room service which was OK. Her meal was very good but I had catch of the day and the fish was cold in the middle and the batter was soaked in fat.

Had the breakfast buffet as breakfast in Eastway during our last stay was awful - it's usually my fav breakfast in London. The buffet isn't that great if you want a hot breakfast.

When we checked out the room rate was a lot more than my booking. I was told I had to produce proof of the rate I claimed. Went back to the Business Centre and printed off the confirmation. The poor girl seemed very confused. Disappeared off and left us standing in the reception for 20 minutes. They had, as I had first said, changed the rate when they applied the suite upgrade.

Wish they could just get it right.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Cool Memories of my Olympics stay in August

My First Andaz London stay was packed with hotel guests of every kind imaginable
The Churchill only had 1000 dollar a night guest rooms non refundable available and no point rooms
I wanted to stay Hyatt in London.Enter Andaz and good reason to finally give Andaz a try.
Upon arrival I was professionally welcomed by a first class team who was hospitable and especially Diamond friendly.
Though I admire the team and the beauty of the hotel. The hotel is best described as quirky modern in a historic buildng.
Its also a handicapped persons nightmare.Especially with all the stairs and a high tub which could be very dangerous to some folks.
For the young and able its all non issues and all good!

I know my upgrade expectations should have been limited during the Olympics however I was still hoping for a suite or a really spacious well positioned room.
The basic room I was originally assigned was satisfactory however I found the mini bar selection in quality and variety to be very poor for my tastes.
No Perrier or Pelligrino.
Weird cheap looking beverage brands and refrigerated awful tasting stale cookies.Snacks were inferior quality.
I'd take some commercial Oreos over that bad baking
The bed was fantastic and the best Andaz bed ever experienced however they assigned me to a very noisy room
Later with much juggling the heartfelt caring Andaz team member thankfully moved me into a much quieter room.
It doesn't matter if you are elite or not a number of guests were complaining about small rooms and many paying some of the most premium rates in the history of the hotel.
Emotions ran high with some guests and to the credit of the wonderful Andaz team they did what they could to accomodate each and every guest with what was possible during such a heavy demand period.

I had dinner in the bistro which was virtually empty during the Olympics and probably for good reason.Sadly the food was well below average and expensive.
A request for a diet coke brought a regular coke....Ill leave the rest of it out but it wasn't positive and I feel sorry for the establishment to be doing so poorly during one of the busiest event weeks in Londons history.
The Churchill food and beverage operations are vastly superior in almost every way

The next moring at breakfast I was shown to a less than desirable cramped table next to some very loud guests. I requested a table across the way which had many empty tables and space but told they were reserved for a party coming in within 30 minutes.I promised I would be out in 20 minutes and the host with much hesitation allowed me to sit where I wanted.
The buffet was beautifully presented with a fair variety of cold items but a number of items sampled were not very good under or over ripe and tasteless
I exited in 15 minutes ahead of my promise and never saw a check or a server during my visit. However it was billed to my room as one gives their room number upon entering the dining room.To the credit of the hotel it was immediatley removed upon check out without asking ^

The hotel left me feeling that it wouldn't be at the top of my list but would consider it if the Churchill was sold out or too expensive it would be a back up hotel choice.
This hotel has the potential to be a winner
IMHO the biggest challenge this hotel faces is its own infrastructure and its very design challenges where design over takes form & function and ease of guest traffic/movement is somewhat impacted.
It's a beauty none the less even with the shortcomings and if i walk away with any feeling about the hotel its that most all of the Andaz team members seem to care about the guest experience. Even if fored to deal with the challenges of the layout by the original designers who may have had their hands tied to what they could or couldn't do with soundproofing or safety issues for guests.
If I do return it would be knowing all of the limitations in advance and keep it to a night or 2 at best.
I have two upcoming reservations at the Churchill coming up
None the less I salute the Andaz team overall and its impressive management^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Stayed here again this past weekend for a night. Booked the cheapest room, I think given a slight upgrade, but was one of the smallest room given. No welcome note or candy/fruit platter as the past upon entering the room. Later in the evening they brought some nuts and chocolates, no note. No big deal for me. The on duty manager always comes to say hi when I check in, nice touch. Offered a drink upon check in and the drink hour/two at 6pm is decent. Breakfast in the morning at 1901 was great as always. For the price, this is my choice of Hyatt properties in London. If prices were equal, I may choose the Churchill, 1) for the location, 2) the lounge.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:57 pm

I've read through all pages on this thread (wow, 3 years worth) and figured out that most people conclude:

A. Prefer Hyatt Regency Churchill to Andaz Liverpool

B. Andaz rooms are small, not well lit, but service is good in general and close to transport, etc.

We're only staying 1 night. Will have (well behaved well traveled) children in 2 King rooms, and will be moving to the IC Westminster for 3 days after this stay.

(1) Is the toilet flushing noise THAT bad? Will I really hear my neighbor flush his toilet in the middle of the night?

(2) According to Google Maps it looks easier to move (via Tube) from the Andaz to the IC. Is this right?

(3) Would it be hard to move via Tube from the Churchill to IC Westminster? I don't want to spend a fortune on a taxi.

(4) For ppl with kids, is the Andaz preferable to the Churchill? Thanks.

***someone's advice about steps at the Marble Arch Tube station was helpful, and sort of deters me from staying there since we're moving luggage...is this really a big problem?

Last edited by lilpooh108; Dec 20, 2012 at 5:36 pm
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by lilpooh108
(3) Would it be hard to move via Tube from the Churchill to IC Westminster? I don't want to spend a fortune on a taxi.
Just use a taxi - with 4 people price is not that different. You can pre-book one for £10.96 through Ubicabs - probably cheaper available if you search. Even a hailed cab will probably only be around £15.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Just wondering, am staying next week for just one night, where it's probably going to be really quiet. Booked a single room. Will I likely get a suite upgrade without using a cert?

Was at WeHo 2 days ago. 50% occupancy, upgraded to a suite when booked cheapest room at corp rate.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by lsed
Just wondering, am staying next week for just one night, where it's probably going to be really quiet. Booked a single room. Will I likely get a suite upgrade without using a cert?

Was at WeHo 2 days ago. 50% occupancy, upgraded to a suite when booked cheapest room at corp rate.

Thanks for the advice!
Anything is possible. I've gotten to a bigger room, but never a suite here.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by lsed

Thanks for the advice!
I've stayed there a number of times, often having booked the very inexpensive single room rate, and have always been upgraded to a larger room, but IIRC the only suites I've had were when I used suite upgrades. As I did not like the configuration of either suite, I have never asked, but you certainly can.
PM me, if you like, about your date to see if it overlaps with mine in case you want to meet for breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.