Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 7:06 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Thanks I will do as you suggest but I won't be returning to the Andaz anytime soon
The inconsistency of all Andaz properties leads to these situations. They use different systems, fail to provide appropriate recognition and it appears that the culture of the brand and it's 'coolness' translates into a laid back response to requests. If you set your expectations accordingly, then you're fine, but apart from the Andaz WeHo, I'll pick the London Churchill and other Hyatt properties where I know what I'm getting.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Complimentary cocktails/appetizers?

Planning a 6 or 7 night stay in London for next spring and considering splitting the time between the Andaz and the Churchill (I could definitely use the additional stay credit to maintain Diamond), using the Andaz at a reasonable weekend rate. A few of questions:

1. I realize the Andaz has no lounge, but I seem to recall reading some mention of complimentary cocktails/appetizers (maybe in the lobby area?) for everyone? Is that correct?

2. It seems like the Andaz is more difficult to get to from LHR than the Churchill. I'm considering a private car hire (not through the hotel), which looks like it would be 50 GBP. Is there a better option?

3. Transfer between the Andaz and the Churchill would be best by taxi?

4. Using a Diamond suite upgrade at the Andaz, is there something specific I should request? I've read that some of the entry-level suites are nothing special?

Or, is this just a stupid idea and should I simply spend the entire 6 or 7 nights at the Churchill, where I'll probably be using Stay Certs, so no suite upgrade, but lounge access?
Old May 22, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Planning a 6 or 7 night stay in London for next spring and considering splitting the time between the Andaz and the Churchill (I could definitely use the additional stay credit to maintain Diamond), using the Andaz at a reasonable weekend rate. A few of questions:

1. I realize the Andaz has no lounge, but I seem to recall reading some mention of complimentary cocktails/appetizers (maybe in the lobby area?) for everyone? Is that correct?

2. It seems like the Andaz is more difficult to get to from LHR than the Churchill. I'm considering a private car hire (not through the hotel), which looks like it would be 50 GBP. Is there a better option?

4. Using a Diamond suite upgrade at the Andaz, is there something specific I should request? I've read that some of the entry-level suites are nothing special?

Or, is this just a stupid idea and should I simply spend the entire 6 or 7 nights at the Churchill, where I'll probably be using Stay Certs, so no suite upgrade, but lounge access?
1. Yes - there is wine and cheese and random stuff down in the lobby. Nothing comparable to a real lounge though.

2. Don't know. We took the Heathrow express and then switched trains to Liverpool station.

3. Don't know either.

4. Used a diamond suite upgrade last March. Got a room which had a connecting room. You enter through the bedroom, and there's a second room with a desk and daybed in the back. No tv in the second room. Nothing too impressive.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I stayed at both the Andaz & the Churchill in January. When it came time to transfer, I took the tube from Liverpool St to Marble Arch. Pretty easy, although if you've got a lot of luggage, it might not be the easiest way to go.

As far as the Andaz being harder to get to, I disagree. Hop the Heathrow Express to Paddington, and then the Tube to Liverpool St. Shouldn't take more than 40~ minutes, IME.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist

I'll just reply re transportation.

I don't think it's more difficult to get to the Andaz from LHR than to the Churchill, just more time-consuming as it's considerably further. I usually take the tube and transfer at Holborn to the Central line, but that is not practical with heavy luggage as there are stairs involved. There are minicar services that are a bit less expensive than the price you mentioned.

In addition to the tube option (which involves stairs) between the two hotels mentioned by another poster, there's a bus that runs from Marble Arch to Liverpool Street--only recommended if you have a lot of time, and probably then only on a weekend or early morning or late night.

Last edited by rfrost; May 23, 2012 at 8:06 am
Old May 23, 2012, 10:49 am

?

On upgrade I've had suites at both Churchill and Andaz, Churchill suites were definetly better IMO actually like other poster mentioned the Andaz suite I git was disappointing in many respects, especially the bathroom was actually smaller than the bathrooms in the normal rooms I get at Andaz, possible that I got a funky suite :-)

Having said that I do like the Andaz it has a different vibe and certainly like the on property bars/food options but since it's London there are so many food & drink options everywhere that really isn't a big plus. Also location of Churchill is much closer to major shopping, west end etc. so if it's sight seeing Churchill may be a better choice, however personally I don't think you can go wrong with either
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:07 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am here for a 5 night stay. Unlike last time long ago, was upgraded to a nice suite and everything appears to work well except for internet access, which is sloooooooowwww much of the time.

Funniest thing was the welcome amenity: two wine glasses, a little card describing the wine (labeled "with the compliments of the Andaz"), but no bottle of wine! Somebody screwed up. No matter, funny but minor. So far this stay is off to a better start than any other Andaz stay I have ever had.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Or somebody drank your bottle of wine
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Stayed here a couple of nights last week. Great hotel. Loved the friendly staff. Enjoyed the champagne bar. We went for a drink and nibbles and there was so much food (meat platter and one of the tapas), that we skipped dinner.

The cookies in the little room off the lobby are to die for. I filled my pockets a couple of times.

No issues with the wifi at all.

A quick four stops (I believe) from the Stratford (Olympic Park) station on the tube.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:08 am

The people working here have an excellent attitude, something that the Andazes in NYC should learn from. The only problem is that few are native speakers of English. As a result, my room service breakfast this morning only had a modest correlation with what I actually ordered. It still was OK, though!

Haven't found the cookies yet, but I know where the little room is and will look.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The people working here have an excellent attitude, something that the Andazes in NYC should learn from. The only problem is that few are native speakers of English. As a result, my room service breakfast this morning only had a modest correlation with what I actually ordered. It still was OK, though!

Haven't found the cookies yet, but I know where the little room is and will look.
Daytime only! Later in the afternoon and evening, they have salty snacks! They're the same cookies that are wrapped in your mini fridge. Seems like I ran across oatmeal raisin, oatmeal with Craisins and chocolate chip!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Daytime only! Later in the afternoon and evening, they have salty snacks! They're the same cookies that are wrapped in your mini fridge. Seems like I ran across oatmeal raisin, oatmeal with Craisins and chocolate chip!
Things have changed. No snacks in the mini fridge in my room, only nuts & candy in bottles. There were three types of cookies in the little room yesterday, none of them exceptional. I know because, obviously, I had to try all three. Nothing like you described.

There was some sushi on plates at the "front desk," which I did not try. Sushi not on ice is just a bit scary to me.

However someone from the hotel must read FT because last night a bottle of wine magically appeared next to the note and wine glasses!

Minor service lapses continue, but this remains a good experience overall. I would stay here again, a big positive change from the last time I tried the hotel long ago. And I think they should send the GM, who I believe was also the GM when I was here long ago, on a tour of NYC, maybe they could learn a thing or two from him.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Things have changed. No snacks in the mini fridge in my room, only nuts & candy in bottles. There were three types of cookies in the little room yesterday, none of them exceptional. I know because, obviously, I had to try all three. Nothing like you described.

However someone from the hotel must read FT because last night a bottle of wine magically appeared next to the note and wine glasses!
I have stayed here over 20 times (before I gave up on it completely) and had noticed the contents of the fridge were being "enhanced". I have never had wine in the room just a small dip or a couple of biscuits.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:09 am

Sorry I mislead you. I was just there last week, so perhaps we have a completely different idea of what a tasty cookie is.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
1) I'm contemplating a 3 or 4 night award stay at 18,000 points in the next week or so. Does someone want to chime in and tell me if that is "worth it"? Room rates are 300pounds.

2) Do Diamonds get any special treatment on award stays? I assume we get free breakfast still, right?

3) I'm going to being doing some serious foodie dinners and wondering if I'm in the right area -- also want to be seeing a lot of plays -- so not sure this is the place for me.

All thoughts are appreciated...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.