Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT
I've stayed here twice now. Once in a Large King room, once in a single. The Large King room is quite spacious and nice, with a big desk and a sitting area with a small table.

The single room is barely large enough to be functional. The desk is quite small, and if you order room service, the tray won't fit on the desk and has to be placed on the bed (one of the waiters apologized for this and said they are working on getting smaller trays -- doubtful). My room had sloping walls which made the room feel even smaller than it was and diminished the space's functionality because light won't reach some of the corners. So, for example, when they brought up my luggage they put the suitcase on the folding stand in the corner, but this was not helpful because in that corner it was too dark to see anything in my suitcase.

Both times I experienced the plumbing issues others have noted. The drain suction noise is annoying although you do get used to it a bit. The water temperature regulation is really unacceptable for a hotel of this quality: There's not enough granulation, so it's hard to adjust the temperature so that it's neither too hot nor too cold, and then the temperature fluctuates during the course of a shower.

I've tried most of the restaurants with mixed, mostly mediocre results. Had one good meal at 1901 (but nowhere near Michelin-star quality -- as one earlier post made reference to their aspirations), and one below-par meal in which one of my dishes was ill-conceived, and both of my dishes suffered from technical execution flaws (too much salt, overcooking). The food is pretty pretentious (lots of foams, for example), but I don't think the kitchen is as good as they think they are. My meals at Catch and Miyako were unremarkable. Catch certainly isn't worth the money and Miyako is pretty generic. Ordered room service a couple of times and found it pretty unsurprisingly average.

Altogether this place isn't close to being a 5-star hotel, despite marketing itself as such. It's nowhere near the level of, say, the Firmdale group hotels, despite costing about the same. That said, I'll continue staying there because the location is really great if you're traveling on business with work in the City (as I usually am), and the ability to earn Hyatt points is of course quite valuable.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Spending the next few days at the Andaz. When I arrived this afternoon, the lobby was still under construction.. Agent told me that it was supposed to be done this past Sunday
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:36 am

Hi FriendlySkies..I am also at the Andaz right now, in case you want to grab a drink.

To be honest, I had expected something else given the mostly negative reviews in this thread. In my view, this is one of the best hotels I have ever visited in London (have been at Ritz, MO, Langham, Landmark, Baglioni, Churchill, W) - the rooms, service and breakfast are really excellent (got a nice suite upgrade as Hyatt Diamond). They really take care of you here. Lots of free stuff (snacks, drinks). Nice fitness studio/steam bath. Beautiful property.
ONYL downside: if you are here and want to do many things in the West-End, it is definitely not the best location - however, everything is in reach - we went to Nobu, Zuma etc. for dinner and it is only a 10-15min metro or cab ride - totally acceptable - given that other hotels for this weekend costed twice or more, which was the dealbreaker for me. We usually left the hotel in the morning, came back in the afternoon and left again for dinner, and it was not too much of a hastle. London is big, you are not gonna find a hotel which is near all the places you want to go (for example, it's very convenient to go to St. Pauls, Camden Market etc. from here).

In total: really nice property, can totally recommend it if you get a good price - of course, if the Ritz, MO, W etc. have similar prices, would choose them because of location.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed at the Andaz last Friday and I have never seen it so quiet. Check in took seconds and we were upgraded to a large King which was a pretty nice room. The fridge was bursting with soft drinks and snacks. There seem to be a few small changes since my last stay here in December.

Breakfast at Eastway was superb as always although the service was poor. We were the only two people there and the four staff were huddled at the far end. We saw two couples come in, wait for a few minutes, and then leave - not sure if any of the staff noticed.

Check out was a breeze.

All in all a very good stay
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Suite Cert

Hi,

I am planning a stay at this hotel in April 2012 but unfortunately, I will only be Plat at that time.
I am a diamond now and planning to use a Suite Award Cert to secure a better room. I have several questions:

1) Will I get to use the club lounge access if I am successfully confirm to a suite?
2) If I combine a award stay with a paid stay, will they honor a suite upgrade for the whole stay (2 paid days and 1 award day)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:14 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by formite
Hi,

I am planning a stay at this hotel in April 2012 but unfortunately, I will only be Plat at that time.
I am a diamond now and planning to use a Suite Award Cert to secure a better room. I have several questions:

1) Will I get to use the club lounge access if I am successfully confirm to a suite?
2) If I combine a award stay with a paid stay, will they honor a suite upgrade for the whole stay (2 paid days and 1 award day)?

Thanks in advance.
1)No regretfully Andaz doesnt have club lounges
2)Not entitled but the hotel may or may not do so based on its own discretion
Be sure to note your preference to do so in the reservation request area
Have a great stay!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:31 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by formite
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
1) There's no club lounge, but you will have breakfast comped in either restaurant. I personally prefer Eastway.

2) They have always allowed me to stay in a suite when I've combine award nights with paid nights, but it's up to the hotel's discretion. I have to say, in general, every hotel at which I've stayed has allowed me to stay in a suite the whole time EXCEPT for the Andaz West Hollywood. They made me switch after the first night.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:02 pm

Hello
Planning on staying here four nights in June with my wife and 2 kids. I was planning on using gold passport points - 2 nights regular room and 2 nights suite. What are my chances that the hotel will take pity and upgrade for the entire stay. Also, if no automatic upgrade has anyone paid to upgrade while using a point stay, what should I expect? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:20 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by walgerm
Hello
Planning on staying here four nights in June with my wife and 2 kids. I was planning on using gold passport points - 2 nights regular room and 2 nights suite. What are my chances that the hotel will take pity and upgrade for the entire stay. Also, if no automatic upgrade has anyone paid to upgrade while using a point stay, what should I expect? Thanks in advance.
Not a matter of pity at all if you are a Diamond member and earned your status the tried and trued way
However It's really a question best directed to tbe hotel
So much depends on the management style of tbe rooms executive in house
And even occupancy
On my last stay in London I knew that a suite mattered in advance and rather than be disappointed I booked and paid for all nights confirming with my suite upgrade
You may wish to book all nights in a suite using points for all nights if that's an option for you

Anyone else have a similar booking here and how well did it go?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:54 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Hello
Suites can be booked using GP Points only for 3 nights or more.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Hello
My last visit there had 2 rooms - one night paid for standard room and two with points.

Suite upgrade from day one - and I did not even have to ask for it. Diamond perk I am sure. My 6 year old got a kick out of the mini robe and slippers they had in the room for her as well as a small teddy bear waiting on her bed when we arrived. Great service all the way around - whoever runs that place has their act together.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:31 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have stayed there three times, twice as Platinum and once as Diamond using a Suite Certificate for an upgrade.

As usual I have posted the reports on my homepage: http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/hote...tel_lon_az.htm

I like the hotel, the location is not bad, the architecture good and the rates I have paid on a weekend very competitive.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:49 am

Hey,

i just want to visit Andaz Liverpool in June 2012.
Im Diamond, but i´ve read that there is no Club Clounge at all.

Will i get breakfast in the restaurants for free or will i have to pay for it?
Greetings
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by LeonardvonGrabe
Hey,

i just want to visit Andaz Liverpool in June 2012.
Im Diamond, but i´ve read that there is no Club Clounge at all.

Will i get breakfast in the restaurants for free or will i have to pay for it?
Greetings
Breakfast is free for diamond members either in room service, Eastways (a la carte), or 1901 (buffett)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:24 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Looking forward to my stay here this weekend. At Andaz WeHo currently. Will report back post stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.