Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:56 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Would love some advice from anyone who has stayed here and the Churchill.

I'll be in London in November for 4 nights and am contemplating spending 108,000 Hyatt points for a "suite" at the Andaz Liverpool Street OR 133,000 Hyatt points for a "suite" at the Churchill.

Which would you do and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Unless you are doing a lot of stuff around the Andaz, I would go with the Churchill. I'm assuming suites get access to the Lounge at the Churchill. But, even if not, I would still go with the Churchill.

I've stayed at both and *hated* the Andaz - lots of hype - no substance.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stc
Unless you are doing a lot of stuff around the Andaz, I would go with the Churchill. I'm assuming suites get access to the Lounge at the Churchill. But, even if not, I would still go with the Churchill.

I've stayed at both and *hated* the Andaz - lots of hype - no substance.
Thanks for your thoughts - I have to admit that I'm asking because the Andaz Suite doesn't really look like a suite (in pics). And if I'm going to lay out 108,000 points, I'd kind of like it to be a fairly large room (London considered).

Whereas at the Churchill, it's looking like the Regency Suite (lowest level suite?) is pretty sizable and even comes with terrace (true?). Plus description says Club access. So for the extra 25,000 points, it seems like a better value.

I will only have lowly Platinum status and not really sure if that means *anything* when you're staying on points at either Andaz or Churchill, but would love for a more experienced Hyatt customer to tell me I'm wrong
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Having stayed regularly at both hotels I can say that they both have their issues. I have had some great stays at the Andaz and some very mediocre - the GM and I are regular email correspondants!

There are some nice suites at the Andaz but they may try and fob you off with one of the smaller ones. We stayed last week and we were offered an upgrade to a suite. Nice room but strange layout and the space didn't really work and very little natural light.

The staff at the Andaz do try very hard but sometimes it just comes off as being a little arrogant.

The Churchill is a nicer hotel and is one that Hyatt use to train staff who are on the fast track for management positions. The problem with the Churchill is that the two lounges aren't always open. If this is the case the lounge will be rammed and guests tend to mark whole areas of the lounge for their own use. Last couple of stays we walked into the lounge did 180 and went to find somewhere for a drink.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:24 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you look above at my earlier post, you will see that some of the rooms called suites at the Andaz are suites only in the mind of Andaz management; i.e., they are just one larger room.

However, the entry level suite (while almost a legitimate suite) at the Churchill is pretty small as well.

I found the breakfast at Andaz to be much better than the breakfast at the Churchill club. I found the staff at Andaz to, overall, be more accommodating than at the Churchill but face the problem that they have less to work with in terms of physical plant.

As noted earlier, unless you have business in the City, the Churchill has a far better location.

My preference is the Churchill if the room is at least at the Executive Suite level. As a plat, it is a lot less likely that is what you will get, so the choice is a lot harder.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As noted earlier, unless you have business in the City, the Churchill has a far better location.
The Andaz is in a great location if you want to see the Tower of London. Less than 15 minute walk or two stops on the Circle Line tube.
Since I'm a serial hotel hopper, staying there one night on a cheap weekend rate worked great for us. After a great breakfast, we took a walk down to the Tower of London.
The Andaz gave us a late checkout that worked perfectly; we spent most of the day at the Tower of London and then hopped on the Circle Line back to the hotel. Packed up everything and were on to our next hotel, more centrally located for the bulk of London's tourist sites.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone! Base on this thread and the Churchill thread plus your kind and informative responses, I'm now leaning towards saving the points and finding somewhere else to stay. This is a special trip so would rather spend the money and get what we want rather than spend the points and be disappointed.

I find it odd that there are just two Hyatt properties in London - seems like it's a bit underserved!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Thanks everyone! Base on this thread and the Churchill thread plus your kind and informative responses, I'm now leaning towards saving the points and finding somewhere else to stay. This is a special trip so would rather spend the money and get what we want rather than spend the points and be disappointed.

I find it odd that there are just two Hyatt properties in London - seems like it's a bit underserved!
Hyatt have been trying to find a property for a Grand or Park. As far as I know, they were in town during the purchase of Admiralty Arch (to a different company), so we can hope that that will become Park Hyatt. The American Embassy will also be coming up for sale and I believe Hyatt are considering a Grand Hyatt there...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:03 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

There was actually a number of years when there was no Hyatt in London (between the loss of Carlton and Lowndes to Jumeriah and the reflagging to Andaz of the Great Eastern).
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by price123
Hyatt have been trying to find a property for a Grand or Park. As far as I know, they were in town during the purchase of Admiralty Arch (to a different company), so we can hope that that will become Park Hyatt. The American Embassy will also be coming up for sale and I believe Hyatt are considering a Grand Hyatt there...
That would be very cool. I hope that Hyatt open some more European properties. There were a number planned before the economic meltdown. It's really sad that so many European Hyatts have diappeared over the last 5-10 years.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by price123
Hopefully if the Embassy happens they'll destroy the existing building (including the eagle sculpture facing the wrong way) and take away the security walls and police with submachine guns!

The embassy is a huge building and seems way too big for just a hotel. It would take years to redo. Also, it's very close to the Churchill.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Hopefully if the Embassy happens they'll destroy the existing building (including the eagle sculpture facing the wrong way) and take away the security walls and police with submachine guns!

The embassy is a huge building and seems way too big for just a hotel. It would take years to redo. Also, it's very close to the Churchill.
Also my feelings. However, Park Hyatt Admiralty Arch would be good.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Andaz location is great if you are working in the City. A brisk walk, short taxi ride or tube ride and you are into the legal, banking zones. It's also right on the line to Heathrow via the tube with no changes required.

I stay here several times a year and find this hotel to be less uppity than the Churchill and generally more affordable.

I would recommend not using a suite upgrade here, just try to get upgraded to a nice king room- which is about the same size and most have really nice layouts.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by inthemix
Andaz location is great if you are working in the City. A brisk walk, short taxi ride or tube ride and you are into the legal, banking zones. It's also right on the line to Heathrow via the tube with no changes required.
As the Piccadilly line is the only tube line going to Heathrow and as the Piccadilly line doesn't pass through Liverpool St station, how exactly do you get to Heathrow without changing trains?

I can see doing it with one change, for example, changing from the Hammersmith and City line to the Piccadilly line at Hammersmith, but this requires a walk and change of station (can also be done at King's Cross but another long walk). Alternatively, you can take the Central line and transfer to the Piccadilly line at Holborn. Finally, you can take the Circle line to South Kensington and transfer there.

All of these alternatives are lengthy, I'd allow 90 minutes.

Fastest, although most expensive, is Hammersmith and City line to Paddington and then H'Ex -- if the H'Ex happens not to have been canceled (as it was for me earlier this week).
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
As the Piccadilly line is the only tube line going to Heathrow and as the Piccadilly line doesn't pass through Liverpool St station, how exactly do you get to Heathrow without changing trains?

I can see doing it with one change, for example, changing from the Hammersmith and City line to the Piccadilly line at Hammersmith, but this requires a walk and change of station (can also be done at King's Cross but another long walk). Alternatively, you can take the Central line and transfer to the Piccadilly line at Holborn. Finally, you can take the Circle line to South Kensington and transfer there.

All of these alternatives are lengthy, I'd allow
Fastest, although most expensive, is Hammersmith and City line to Paddington and then H'Ex -- if the H'Ex happens not to have been canceled (as it was for me earlier this week).
Not sure what I was remembering, guess it was so late at night I was delirious . Yes circle line change at South Kensington or one of several other options. I like the HEX also-great for early mornings on Sundays before the tube starts up.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by inthemix
Not sure what I was remembering, guess it was so late at night I was delirious . Yes circle line change at South Kensington or one of several other options. I like the HEX also-great for early mornings on Sundays before the tube starts up.
I'd say your best bet is to take Central line to Holborn then change to Piccadilly. Much cheaper than the overpriced Hex and not too much hassle. By the way time you get to Paddington you'll already be halfway across London, you'll save 15 mins at most by taking the HEX in my opinion and both options involve one change afterall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.