Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:35 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

BotB - thank you very much for your thorough review and pictures. Having a comprehensive set of pictures in the thread is a worthwhile exercise since it is so true that pictures are worth a thousand words (I for one pictured the Andaz London totally differently). However, pictures do slow down loading the pages they're on - so while they are great, it probably would be preferable to not "repeat" the pictures should you add review to the property in the future. Of course comments are always helpful - and pictures of changes would be welcome.

I hope that this helps provide a guideline for you.

Thanks again for your considerable efforts.

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I just finished my first stay here (2 nights, with a DSU applied). Since I took the day flight over from the US, I didn't arrive at the hotel until 11pm. The reservation was in order and I was given a 2-room suite. They gave me the arrival points and a bottle of wine with fruit & cheese as a welcome gift.

Three complaints:
  • The heat didn't work. I set the thermostat to "+3," meaning warm up three degrees C. Nothing - just cold air blew from the system. After an hour I called the front desk, and without explanation they said I'd be better off with a space heater (and recommended turning off the HVAC system), so they sent one up. Same problem second night.
  • The walk-in shower is smaller than a 737 lav! I'm not a big person - and you hit either the glass door in front or water knob in back while showering. It's very uncomfortable!
  • The bathroom sink wouldn't drain well -- the stopper didn't raise high enough to let the water drain. I had to remove it entirely to let the water out of the sink.

Other than that, all was at the usual Andaz standards.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Well, good to know; at least it's not only me then with regards to the thermostat. During my stay last week I had to switch off the AC because it was getting quite cold in the room in the night, even when setting the thermostat to "+3". Haven't experienced this before at the hotel, and yes, I'm quite a regular there. Didn't bother to ask housekeeping as I thought it was just me being sensitive this time. Will see how it will work out on my return in two week time.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:45 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
Other than that, all was at the usual Andaz standards.
Really? "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" I am incredulous that people flock to this hotel.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by stc
Really? "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" I am incredulous that people flock to this hotel.
Folks come to Andaz Liverpool for a unique experience in a restored historic infrastructure.its going to be quirky.
From that perspective there are a number of hotels like it throughout Europe
They do a nice breakfast and the team here is remarkable typically
If one is seeking a state of the art hotel it's probably not a good choice
It's also a poor choice for the handicapped

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 16, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
As a UK based Diamond it's tricky to keep status so I stay here pretty much every month. My other choice is the Churchill which is normally twice the price or the Hyatt Birmingham which is a 4 hour return drive.

Stayed there on Friday night and the lobby area was quite busy. We were shown to a seat and OJ brought over. Check in seemed to be taking an age and eventually I started reading a book! The chap who showed us in grabbed someone when he saw this and she came over to check us in but was very flustered because the iPads weren't working (again!).

Very rushed check in but got a nice room X60 which was the quietest room we have ever had overlooking the station. By the time we were checked in and off to the lift the original people that were being attended to when we arrived 15-20 minutes earlier still hadn't completed their check in!The 20's rooms overlook the street and can be very noisy. We had the amenity in our room - two crackers and cheese which we left so I will probably have to request the 1K points as we weren't given the option of points.

We tried to have breakfast in Eastway as I don't like the service in 1901 but it was closed until 10AM. Ordered breakfast in 1901 and had the usual long, long wait for breakfast.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:30 pm

Has anyone had experience with rollaways in suites? Website says no. However, it does say andaz large kings can have rollaways, which seems like it's a lower category than the suite...
Old May 1, 2014, 5:26 pm

I can only give you the answer for ours, which was the single-room Andaz Large Suite. There is a sharp turn once entering the front door, followed by a few stairs from the landing at the door up into the room. Both would make it impractical, if not impossible, to get a rollaway into the room. From the photos and descriptions of people on this thread, it seems there are many suite designs. I suspect it might be a blanket policy as some rooms could not accommodate a rollaway (such as ours), even of others possibly could.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Checked in earlier today. Came into lobby area and waited and waited while the staff talked amongst themselves. Eventually someone asked if I was being helped. I explained that I would like the chance to check in if possible. For some reason the iPads weren't working again. Total time for check in - just under 15 minutes. No drink offered and wasn't offered points or amenity. Have opted online for points but got amenity in room which I don't want so another mail to the GM. The mini bar has been enhanced over last couple of weeks. Non alcoholic contents are now 2 waters, 1 coke and 1 OJ.

Went to lobby about 6:30. Only a few canapes left and they were not replenished once they had gone. Some people seemed to be well looked after and the wine was free flowing. We decided it was easier to walk across to M&S and get a bottle of our own.

Continues to disappoint under the new management regime.

Also noticed that at weekend Eastway doesn't open for breakfast until 10AM so forced to use 1901 and their poor food and service

Last edited by BAGoldBoy; May 10, 2014 at 6:11 am
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:03 pm

I'm at the hotel right now. Perhaps it's just my room(s) but I've had consistently awful wifi speeds which makes loading sites like facebook or flyertalk take around 5 seconds.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'm at the hotel right now. Perhaps it's just my room(s) but I've had consistently awful wifi speeds which makes loading sites like facebook or flyertalk take around 5 seconds.
I was there yesterday, WiFi was fine I was on 4th floor corner room no problems and generally when I stay performance has always been good including using Lync/Skype for voice calls
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Has anyone had experience with rollaways in suites? Website says no. However, it does say andaz large kings can have rollaways, which seems like it's a lower category than the suite...
I just remember the suites being ridiculously small and tight. You'll have a hard time getting a rollaway in. The ONLY thing I liked about this hotel is the proximity to the tube.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My wife and I stayed there on Friday night - sounds like we should have a FT mini do!

The new(ish) GM Tim Flodin came out to speak to us as we had been corresponding over email about a few things. Very nice guy who hails from California so we talked about some of the great Hyatts there past and present.

We have a couple of Andaz stays in the US in a couple of weeks and he offered to put in a word for us.

And we also were assigned a suite on the 4th floor so all in all a very good stay
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Anyone stay here recently?

I was looking for some feedback about this hotel. I will be staying here next week for 2 weeks using DSU. I was considering the Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill but not really my style, I'm more the Andaz type.

Any feedback would be appreciated, restaurants gym, room type suggestion?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I was looking for some feedback about this hotel. I will be staying here next week for 2 weeks using DSU. I was considering the Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill but not really my style, I'm more the Andaz type.

Any feedback would be appreciated, restaurants gym, room type suggestion?

Location is very good IMO. Very close to rail and tube links so good base to explore London and surrounding areas. Andaz has a number of restaurants and a champagne bar. The restaurants vary from brasserie / pub through to fine dining and also a Japanese restaurant.

Suites are pretty good. Some are a little small while others are huge with separate dining rooms, etc. Depends on your luck on the day. Tim Flodin is the GM and is a very nice guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.