Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Fun 2 night stay

Spent 2 nights during in early April at the hotel. Arrived around 10:30am and rooms were ready within 10 minutes. Staff was very attentive and helpful throughout our stay.

Used a DSU and paid an small fee to upgrade to a large suite which is above the standard DSU offering. This allowed us to connect a large suite king to a deluxe twin room. The rooms were large and provided us plenty of space for a family of 4. The large suite did not have a separate living area but was large enough that the open floor plan worked very well. Having a connecting room gave us that extra space in a separate area.

The hotel is very quiet. We had a corner room on the third floor and did not hear any street noise. The breakfast buffet was top notch and I was never presented with a bill. As others have stated a number of restaurants are near the hotel and the market is a fun place to check out. We walked to Brick Lane for Indian one night. Plenty of food options within a short walk.

Finally, being on top of Liverpool Station was a bonus. Busses run every 5-10 minutes that go past major tourist areas. The ride was about 15 minutes outside of rush hour. The tube is outside of the front door but we found the busses easier and more interesting.

I'm looking forward to returning and would not hesitate to stay here again.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:42 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Some observations after a nice four-night stay:

- Suite upgrade was available for just 3 of the 4 nights. I had already accepted the fact that we'd stay one night in a regular room then 3 nights in a suite. When we arrived, we were delighted that they had put us into a suite for all four nights.

- Service is gracious and impeccable.

- IMO the breakfast has gone down quite a bit since we last visited about a year ago. I believe they now include breakfast in many of their rates, therefore the 1901 dining room is quite a bit more full than in the past. Last year we were often the only people in the dining room. This year they had a full house. We found that some hot items were lukewarm, etc. Nothing specific, just a general feeling that the specialness was mostly absent.

- Of bigger concern is that the staff seemed confused, e.g. telling us that if we ordered an omelet it was extra charge, or that the Diamond Breakfast (in Eastway) doesn't include certain items, etc. Yet at final checkout, the bill included wording about how breakfast was comp for Diamonds up to some max amount times 4 guests. We were never in any danger of exceeding that maximum, however it would have been nice if all staff members sang the same tune with respect to what's allowed for the Diamond breakfast. It was a bit perturbing to order one item (in Eastway) only to learn (several minutes later) that "it's not allowed for the Diamond breakfast" yet in fact the menu price of the forbidden item was LESS than several of the allowed items. They claimed that the Diamond breakfast can include anything from just the first column of the menu. Weeeird. But on our next visit (two days later) they said that it included anything we want. I'm always happy to follow rules ; I do prefer to know what the rules are.

- Room was strange. We were on 6th floor in a corner suite. The walls were slanted at a 45 degree angle (which we found weird) and the windows were portholes. While I admire the charm, etc, I now prefer (and will specifically ask for it next time) straight walls and real windows instead of portholes. Still, the room layout was fine and it was very comfortable.

- I admire the amenities, luxurious robes, various snacks, etc. It just seems to me that they went above and beyond the call of duty. The hotel truly seems to want to provide a memorable experience.

- Eagerly looking forward to our next visit! In a word, this hotel is "great".
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:31 am

We stayed over new year's this year. We had a "large king" the first couple of days, and then a suite the last day or two. I feel that the Large King really is the best room. While I do love the Nespresso machine, cadbury's miniatures (or whatever they call them) and bottle of wine that came with the suite, the layout of the suite was weird and not at all spacious feeling. Lots of little nooks and crannies, which can be nice sometimes. But the Large King was just as it sounds. A reasonably large room (certainly by London standards) with a King sized bed, plenty of room for a rollaway, nice normal sized windows with a decent view of the street below, and a very spacious bathroom and entry area. If we stayed again, I'd want a large king.
BTW, we were diamond at the time and just booked a normal king, but requested a rollaway. I believe that the rollaways are only allowed in the Large King and with diamond status it is reasonable to expect an upgrade to Large King.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:12 pm

I'm sitting in one of their rooms right now. The staff is great, but I find the snacks (not the drinks) lacking. Two small odd choice of snack bars, but the mini bar is much more stocked than the one at the Andaz Maui (not that that's saying very much). Haven't done the breakfast, as I'm waking up at 11am every day, but I kind of want to. The toilets make an odd noise, but you get used to it. Shower is tiny, but that's London from what I understand. I have what I guess you would call an "interior" view, which is a view of the other rooms across the interior courtyard. Nothing fantastic about that. They have a few extra selections of drinks downstairs, which is nice, especially being able to grab a water bottle on the way out. Right down the street from Liverpool station, which is great. I was even able to email the hotel to get them to open up a night of C+P for me. Just needed the stay credit. Would definitely stay here again.

One tip: Don't eat at Freebirds Burrito across the street, it's not related to the ones stateside and is pretty awful.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Frindle
One tip: Don't eat at Freebirds Burrito across the street, it's not related to the ones stateside and is pretty awful.
You ordered a burrito in London? Are you mad???
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by fcgoal
cadbury's miniatures .
Celebrations if I remember my English chocolates correctly :-)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You ordered a burrito in London? Are you mad???
It's a long story. A friend LOVES the domestic Freebirds chain and told me I had to try it.

You don't want to know how many Starbucks I've been in for the GF, and you definitely don't want to know that I had lunch at Chipotle yesterday.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
My wife and I stay here every month on a Friday night. It's the only way I can keep Diamond status!

I like the quirky nature of the hotel and the sometimes odd shaped rooms - it's part of the character.

The staff are a lot more attentive since the new GM started earlier this year. It wasn't bad before - just unpredictable.

I have to agree that the breakfast is no longer very good. We used to enjoy the Eastway breakfast but that is now only available for brunch on a Saturday so it's just 1901. Breakfast last time was so bad that we have decided that next time we are going to have breakfast at Spitalfields Market.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
My wife and I stay here every month on a Friday night. It's the only way I can keep Diamond status!

I like the quirky nature of the hotel and the sometimes odd shaped rooms - it's part of the character.

The staff are a lot more attentive since the new GM started earlier this year. It wasn't bad before - just unpredictable.

I have to agree that the breakfast is no longer very good. We used to enjoy the Eastway breakfast but that is now only available for brunch on a Saturday so it's just 1901. Breakfast last time was so bad that we have decided that next time we are going to have breakfast at Spitalfields Market.
The Diamond Breakfast, or the breakfast in general?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We have always been offered whatever we want from breakfast from either the buffet or a la carte.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:26 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
We recently stayed four nights.

Breakfast #1 in 1901: we arrived at 9:30, well in advance of the 10 am closing time. Still, they were putting things away and nothing was actually hot (temperature-wise). It was so disappointing because I still remember such a fantastic breakfast from our visit, 15 months ago. Welcome to today's world.

Breakfast #2 in Eastway: A few minutes after ordering, the server informed us that one of the breakfasts was not included (because a Diamond can only order from the first column of the menu)?? ...?? I changed my order and of course we ended up with two people sitting at the same table but dining at two completely separate times (because their orders were placed about 10 minutes apart). Later on I mentioned this "order only from Column A" to one of the managers and he agreed that the staff was misinformed: A Diamond can order whatever they want, even room service. That's nice to know, however the info would have been even handier at breakfast time.

Breakfast #3 in 1901: It was very good. We were invited to have anything we wanted from the buffet and/or anything from the menu. Service was a bit slow, e.g. it took forever to get a second coffee. In their defense, they were totally slammed: the place was packed.

Breakfast #4 in Eastway: Service was slow but otherwise good. Drink refills were non-existent. They also tried to tell us that cappuccinos, lattes, were not included for Diamonds. We ordered 'em anyway. At checkout, all breakfast charges had been miraculously removed.

I think the above issues are merely a lack of training and/or inexperienced staff. Is it as good as last year? Absolutely not. It is still wonderful? Absolutely yes.

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
We have always been offered whatever we want from breakfast from either the buffet or a la carte.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:41 am

I've stayed here a few times now and have always found the service excellent.

Check-in is efficient. In the morning they seem to have some pastries and juice on offer in the lobby.

It is worth noting that apparently all the rooms are different so a Large King (which is what Diamonds get upgraded to) could be a different configuration on every stay.

I've found the service in the 1901 consistently good. The staff there appear to be very friendly and efficient. In addition to serving customers they seem to bring food out to the buffet stations and refresh the presentation of the cheese and pastries.

It's a shame there's no club lounge as if they ran that I'm sure it would be of a very high standard.

Excellent hotel.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Stayed here on Friday and we were lucky enough to get room 340 - the Pearly Room. Apparently one of four local art rooms commissioned by the previous GM, Tim Flodin.

Pearly room, Andaz Liverpool Street, London by Nigel Turner, on Flickr
Old May 31, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Free agent, value for my money
Some improvements in the gym

Spent another week here using a DSU. Given the wide variety of room types in this quirky property, we asked to be moved once and was quickly given a room which was more to our liking. Made it to breakfast a few times @ 1901 and found it to be good, consistent with prior stays; did not go to Eastway. 1901 supervisor often inquired re any improvements which could be made and made some small suggestions. One area which has improved is the gym, where the equipment has been slightly rearranged and somewhat enhanced (the rowing machine is now anchored to the floor so you don't row across the room) but the a/v on the ellip and treadmills is still a bit hit or miss. Overall improvement however. Staff continues to be eager to satisfy, housekeeping/cleanliness is superior.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Stayed here again this weekend. As usual very good service but no welcome card from the GM

We opted for the room service breakfast. Far superior to our last couple of breakfasts in 1901. My only complaint is the wifi. It is very slow and drops out all of the time. Never used to be like this so it must have been "enhanced"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.