Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

If you want to save the HEX fare, a good transfer point is Holborn for a tube-only connection. There are some steps, but relatively few by LON tube standards, most is escalator and the walk is short.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:22 am

Suite (6000 Points Upgrade): http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...erpool-street/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Anybody here right now? Staying until Wed. PM!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Hello Grey walls!

Here now for five nights. I used points to upgrade to a suite and I guess it is a suite of rooms but without doors However the room layout is very odd and almost the reverse of how it should be.

You enter into a very large bedroom with an Eames chair, a comfy club chair and a large desk with a desk chair in a little space off of the bedroom. Their is a large porthole window ( the only window with a view) to the side of the desk
To the side is a small room with a cupboard, two chairs and a table holding a Neopresso machine.If guests were to sit in those chairs they would be staring at a blank grey wall. There is also some sort of utility access panel that should have been better concealed.
Then there is a small dressing area with a sofa and the built-in wardrobe.This room contains the only artwork in the suite-a print of a freight car.

Off to the side of that is a large and lovely bathroom with separate tub and shower.

So what with the single window with a view and the lack artwork on the battleship grey walls the and the room layout that has lots of (wasted) space and make no sense placement wise I am not sure why they did not think this design through a little better. The vastness of gray without some decorative touches is,especially in a gray city like London, rather depressing.

With that being said I would return to the hotel in a heartbeat. The staff was one of the best I have ever experienced in a hotel. And I LOVED the breakfast options. I also really liked the location of the hotel.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Oct 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Here now for five nights. I used points to upgrade to a suite and I guess it is a suite of rooms but without doors However the room layout is very odd and almost the reverse of how it should be.

You enter into a very large bedroom with an Eames chair, a comfy club chair and a large desk with a desk chair in a little space off of the bedroom. Their is a large porthole window ( the only window with a view) to the side of the desk
To the side is a small room with a cupboard, two chairs and a table holding a Neopresso machine.If guests were to sit in those chairs they would be staring at a blank grey wall. There is also some sort of utility access panel that should have been better concealed.
Then there is a small dressing area with a sofa and the built-in wardrobe.This room contains the only artwork in the suite-a print of a freight car.

Off to the side of that is a large and lovely bathroom with separate tub and shower.

So what with the single window with a view and the lack artwork on the battleship grey walls the and the room layout that has lots of (wasted) space and make no sense placement wise I am not sure why they did not think this design through a little better. The vastness of gray without some decorative touches is,especially in a gray city like London, rather depressing.
This sounds like a suite with the room number ending with x74, located directly at the beginning of the corridor, correct?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yes it is a '74 room

I bought some flowers to add some color
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

When we had this same suite configuration - we used the little room to store bags and shopping. I find the whole layout depressing, but the hotel is a great place to stay.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
cool story about the hotel...
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ing?CMP=twt_gu
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:00 pm

Does anyone know if, as a Platinum Elite booking a small single room, you automatically get an upgrade to a better class?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joetro
Does anyone know if, as a Platinum Elite booking a small single room, you automatically get an upgrade to a better class?
You shouldn't plan on it. I believe the actual benefit is that you will receive "a preferred room" based on availability at checkin -- nothing more than that.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:03 am

Right, I shouldn't have used automatically ...I guess my question was more about potentially being upgraded to a larger room in a different class as opposed to the same class of room with, say, a bigger bed.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Stayed here over the weekend and have to say I was a little disappointed. Went for a standard room, which was on the 6th floor (right at the top). Room itself was a decent size and I liked the decoration - quite modern and sparse with red accents. Bed was comfortable and I liked the complimentary soft drinks and free wi-fi while the other amenities were perfectly fine.

Bathroom however was a big disappointment. It was very small and cramped and the showers worked off mixer taps, which took ages to get to the right temperature (wasting water) - not acceptable in a hotel that charges this much. I tried running the bath only to find that the plug wasn't working properly, which would have been fine were it not for the vaccuum waste system which made a hell of a racket every 20 seconds as it tried to drain the bath (not very relaxing when you're trying to have a long soak with a book).

I got woken during the night by someone dropping off the express checkout packet under my door. Air conditioning was also a little finnickity and took ages to bring the room temperature down. There was also no handy mirror to use when trying to dry my hair, which seemed a bit daft.

I didn't have breakfast (it wasn't included in my rate and I don't care how good the buffet is, it isn't worth 20 quid) but due to a mix up reception tried to charge me for it (it was taken off immediately with apologies once challenged).

Staff were very good - courteous and informative and the location is excellent - especially if you're doing business in the city or going to an event at the Barbican (which is only 10 minutes walk away).

I partly stayed here because I'd read good feedback here but also because I needed the night to go to platinum on the programme. Not 100% sure I'd stay there again TBH.

1F
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:56 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Just finishing a 3-night stay. I'll try to post a full trip report later, but for now I just want to report that it's "My Favorite Hyatt Property of All Time". The facility, service, staff, location, amenities, etc are all amazing. I did approach the trip with some trepidation due to the numerous bad reviews in this thread, yet from first-hand experience I find this hotel to be fantastic. I almost can't wait until my next visit.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:27 pm

We spent five nights at the Andaz over Christmas and could not have enjoyed the stay more. After arriving on an early flight, we were warmly greeted by the staff who provided us with a place to freshen up before heading out for the day. The warmth of the staff stood out throughout the entire stay. Even on Christmas, when no one wants to work, the staff were friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there. The suite was quirky but very nice. It was done in reds, whites, and blacks with a white subway tiled bathroom. There was a bit of noise from the vacuum drainage system and the room above, but nothing that anyone living in a city like NY or London would not expect now and again, particularly from a building of that age. The room had a Nespresso machine, a minibar, and snacks. The minibar is complementary except for alcohol. The breakfast was served in the Eastway Restaurant for three mornings and the 1901 for two. Although we enjoyed the elegance of 1901, we actually liked dining in the Eastway better because of the windows facing the street. The quality of the food was excellent, pastries fresh, good selection of English, American, and continental fare. We also ate one evening in Eastway, which is more casual, and the food was tasty then as well. We ducked into George and the Champagne Bar, but it was late so we didn't stay and they were closed after that for the holidays. Both were jumping and looked like a good time. The lobby was nice in the usual Andaz way. They commissioned a local artist to decorate for the holidays so everything was Christmas monkeys. I honestly didn't get the connection between Christmas and monkeys, but that's not the fault of the hotel and it nevertheless was fun and kitchy. They had theme snacks in the lobby each evening like banana bread, banana chips, and mulled wine. There is also a little enclave with a table and drinks for people to relax. These types of little extras are, in my opinion, what sets Andaz out as a brand. Many compare it to the W, but I don't like the W because it's all form over function and, frankly, I find the staff to be pretentious unless you are a svelte 28 year old dressed in all black. The Andaz has a better balance of form and function, effectively melding style with usability, and I have always felt like a valued guest during my stays. The Liverpool property was no different. The area is very central and very convenient. There are a number of good pubs nearby and the Liverpool station is next door. Having a major station there ensures cabs are always available.

I would return in a London minute, mostly because of the hotel's staff and excellent facilities and services, all of which reflect the quality of the hotel's management.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Darren
The Andaz has a better balance of form and function, effectively melding style with usability, and I have always felt like a valued guest during my stays. (...)

I would return in a London minute, mostly because of the hotel's staff and excellent facilities and services, all of which reflect the quality of the hotel's management.
This is spot on. I've been recently staying at great hyatt properties in Tokyo and New York, but I miss my Andaz, and the friedly staff at Liverpool St. Funny how east they fall into a role of being less of hotel clerks and more of your friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.