Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:24 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mcg1000
Gosh. That creeped me out a bit, because the reason I'm dallying with the Andaz instead of the Sofitel is because I'm also using a Big Welcome Sweepstakes free night! I thought this was addressed at me and wondered how you'd found out!
Sorry My reference to Trustguy's win is unrelated to the Big Welcome but at the Andaz LA Do at the end of April.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Prize

I hope to post a whole lot of info on my trip plans soon. Suffice it to say, I will be in London in late August, flying business class on Hyatt GP tab... This is totally OT in this thread... (sorry) (thanks peteropny)
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I stayed at this hotel this past weekend, and although overall the stay was fine, I did find it overall to be somewhat "odd".

From the check in experience, you need to sit on the sofas to check in while the staff tap away on their laptops. Now the chairs are sofas to recline in, but you need to sit up in order to pay attention to the check in staff. It was a very strange experience. I would have preferred to just stand up at the big bar with the staff to check in, but no everyone checks in on the sofa. When I was walking in and out of the hotel, I could see other people looking rather uncomfortable perched on the edge of the sofa trying to check in as well as drink the drink that is offered on check in. That again is a strange thing - they offer you all sorts of drinks, but there is nowhere to rest the drink except the unstable surface of the sofa. I saw someone else with a whole teapot and cup, looking as if it was about to fall off the sofa. Overall a nice sentiment, but poorly executed.

In the room, the minibar is now 2 bottles of water, and 2 bottles of juice, and one muesli bar. Its quite disappointing when they say "Complimentary Healthy Minibar"....normally a minibar has a few more than 5 items!

And no wine glasses in the minibar? I had to ask for some to be brought up to have my wine that I had purchased in M&S across the road.

The room was very contemporary, although being trendy, I didn't feel that the room was going to stand the test of time with nicks and chips seen in the wood and other finshes already.

As a Diamond, I received free breakfast, and in the buffet, it had the runniest scrambled eggs I have ever seen. They were actually quite disgusting and I commented on it. And on the continental side, there was no strawberry jam, just a weird plum jam from a big jar.

So...overall, the hotel is nice, but odd. It seems like it's trying very hard to be a W but not quite making it there.

And from who I could see in the hotel, the clientele has gone downmarket including the big back pack type tourists - I guess they are really competing on price.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be there on Saturday and will follow up on all posted... Afraid already of the eggs...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

<---- back at the Churchill and glad of it!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:31 pm

Had my first stay at the Andaz some days ago. Frankly, was not impressed at all.

The check in process is weird, without the check in desk. I think what I missed most was a fancy impressive lobby. Felt more like a apartment building, with the bellman checking you in. I had a room on the top floor, which had the feel of a student dorm to it. Insulation is bad, so lots of noise from the street. Generally, the room was more of 4-star than 5-star quality. Nothing special to it, felt just weird. One more thing: The atrium concept results in noise from the 1st floor (where the bar is) being spread throughout the hotel.

Some previous posters likened the hotel to a "W"-brand hotel. If that is Hyatt's ambition, they still have way to go. "W"-hotels are in a completely different league.

I will for sure not return to the Andaz. Dramatically overpriced for what you get.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:59 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I think the problem with this hotel is that it's neither a luxury hotel nor a boutique hotel. And I pity the people who are booked into a inwards facing room - the only view would be of the bland atrium and given London's weather I'm sure it makes for a very dark stay.

As for value, well I couldn't actually fault it for the price I paid. I paid GBP80 + VAT per night, and could have even got it for GBP68 if I prepaid. Admittedly I had booked 4 months in advance, and rates closer to the date of my stay had risen to GBP110+ for prepaid rate. But with rates like this, I'm not surprised they are attracting the backpack crowd.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As many of you know, I won a trip to London at the Andaz West Hollywood event, and my trip included 2 free nights at the Andaz London Liverpool Street. We extended the stay by one night, and I must say that we truly enjoyed our stay.

First of all, I think the Andaz brand still is being developed. After visiting and touring the West Hollywood property, I expected a very edgy and modern hotel. The hotel in London was what I would characterize as comfortable and cozy rather than "Andazzy". The room was great for our needs during the trip, and the extra space was great for our luggage.

At checkin, we were offered the opportunity to sit down and enjoy water, wine, etc. We were treated really well and our host walked us to our room and showed us all of the various characteristics/quirks. We were upgraded to an "Executive Suite" which was a large bedroom, a small sitting room/office and a large bathroom. Minutes after our checkin, we received a plate of 4 different berries, which was meal sized. We also were told that we received the buffet breakfast every morning due to Diamond status.

Over the course of our stay, we received excellent treatment from the hotel staff. If we needed information on transporation, we got a printout delivered to our room from the hotel staff. If we wanted the location of a Laundrette, the staff gave us Google Maps directions. At meals, we met folks who worked at Hyatt properties in North America -- I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel.

At checkout, the Diamond breakfasts were already comped, and there was no discussion about any benefits. Again, I must say I had a great stay, but I have to say that the Andaz concept was much different here. I would stay here again just for the staff -- one of them used the term "Galley Host" which was creepy because it is the same term (I think) used at Hyatt Place staff. Nonetheless, I think they worked harder than many hotels where I have stayed.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:06 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Trustguy
As many of you know, I won a trip to London at the Andaz West Hollywood event, and my trip included 2 free nights at the Andaz London Liverpool Street. We extended the stay by one night, and I must say that we truly enjoyed our stay.

First of all, I think the Andaz brand still is being developed. After visiting and touring the West Hollywood property, I expected a very edgy and modern hotel. The hotel in London was what I would characterize as comfortable and cozy rather than "Andazzy". The room was great for our needs during the trip, and the extra space was great for our luggage.

At checkin, we were offered the opportunity to sit down and enjoy water, wine, etc. We were treated really well and our host walked us to our room and showed us all of the various characteristics/quirks. We were upgraded to an "Executive Suite" which was a large bedroom, a small sitting room/office and a large bathroom. Minutes after our checkin, we received a plate of 4 different berries, which was meal sized. We also were told that we received the buffet breakfast every morning due to Diamond status.

Over the course of our stay, we received excellent treatment from the hotel staff. If we needed information on transporation, we got a printout delivered to our room from the hotel staff. If we wanted the location of a Laundrette, the staff gave us Google Maps directions. At meals, we met folks who worked at Hyatt properties in North America -- I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel.

At checkout, the Diamond breakfasts were already comped, and there was no discussion about any benefits. Again, I must say I had a great stay, but I have to say that the Andaz concept was much different here. I would stay here again just for the staff -- one of them used the term "Galley Host" which was creepy because it is the same term (I think) used at Hyatt Place staff. Nonetheless, I think they worked harder than many hotels where I have stayed.
Well, glad you had a good stay. And, I guess it is good that Hyatt knows how to do "marketing". But, frankly what you got is about what it would take for me to try the London Andaz again - a free stay.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Trustguy
We also were told that we received the buffet breakfast every morning due to Diamond status.
So how were the scrambled eggs? I had given feedback on them, wondering if they changed the recipe at all.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
So how were the scrambled eggs? I had given feedback on them, wondering if they changed the recipe at all.
Eggs were exactly as you described! Interestingly, we found this "style" of eggs rather common in London.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I've just completed a one night stay Fri-Sat at this property and have 2 more booked for the following weekends. Upon check-in I got upgraded to a King room (from a queen) and I'm now a platinum after this stay - quite exciting! I did get an inwards facing room but as I only spent the night here as I met up with a friend, it didn't really bother me.

The location is not bad, good underground connections to London attractions and the underground station is right opposite the hotel. The area disadvantage though is that at the weekends everything is closed around the hotel, including Starbucks, post office, all shops, etc. since the hotel is in a business district.

I checked in at around 9pm and got offered a seat and a drink in the lobby but it took 10+ minutes for someone to come and actually check me in. The guy was very nice though, he told me about several restaurants I could go to nearby as he looked them up on his little laptop, as well as the closing times.

I don't think the check-in experience is that good and there also isn't a proper reception desk. I couldn't find a 'concierge' desk either and when I checked out in the morning (express checkout) it was full in the reception with lots of people waiting to check in/out. Luckily I had the express checkout ready, however, I was going to ask for some directions but I couldn't find a concierge desk so I thought I'll figure it out myself.

Does anyone know where the exclusive area for plat/diamond members is? Do you just show the card to someone and then they prioritize you?

The room was spacious, but the toilet is a big disadvantage. I believe it's one of those ecological toilets that completely 'sucks' everything out with very little water. This makes the same very loud noise as the ones on planes. The complimentary mini bar is a nice touch together with complimentary WiFi!

Overall, I was happy with the hotel but... still felt something was missing. However, I am looking forward to my next 2 stays in the following weekends!

Last edited by crystak; Oct 24, 2009 at 12:10 pm
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, LH Miles&More, EK Skywards, Hyatt GP
Had a 2 night stay recently in London, and decided to stay 1 night at Andaz Liverpool Street and 1 at HR London - The Churchill. I'll post reviews of each hotel in their respective threads.

First up was Andaz, my first ever at this Hyatt brand.
Reading the various comments in the threads on the Andaz (London & WeHo) I was going in with not the highest expectations, and since I managed to book a queen room at 135£ (about 150€, thank you very much) I wasn't too concerned.

I arrived around 8pm, no other guests checking in at that time so I was immediately welcomed first by the doorman and then by 2 check in agents by the large table.
When they explained me that "their systems were temporarily down", I could help but think "hmm where did I hear that before". To their benefit, they excused themselves extensively and one of them immediately was on the phone (guest services office) getting the room number that was assigned to me. All in all it went very smooth and quick even without their little laptop.

Upon entering the room I noticed they upgraded me from a queen room to a deluxe king, which was nice aof course. In the room was a diamond amenity (snack : artichoke salsa, cherry tomatoes and parmesan biscuits) and a personal welcome letter from the GM. Room was nice and spacious, with large work desk, lounge sofa,... the bathroom had a bathtub and separate shower stall. As noted, free minibar with 4 bottles of water, 2 bottles of juice, chocolate covered nuts and a shortbread biscuit, appropriately Christmas themed.

I didn't use any of the restaurants/bars in the building (there seem to be quite a few of them) except the breakfast buffet. Again was pleasantly surprised with staff being very helpful, courteous and quick. The buffet spread had nice quality items, with some hot items also available. I found it a very nice breakfast indeed.

Express check out afterwards, GP points on my account the next day.

Conclusion : although it is not really in the general area I have to be, it is easily connected by underground to the rest of London with Liverpool Street Station. I would definitely stay there again, especially at the rate I was able to book for this stay.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Quirky, and Not Always In A Good Way

I have stayed at the Andaz London 4 times in the last eight weeks, and share the impressions of many in this thread.

The hotel seems to have a bit of a problem navigating itself to a coherent and clear positioning. It's not really "hip", though it tries (requisite suit but no tie look at check-in, clever sayings on everything, etc.). It's too big and in some ways too bland to be a boutique.

The room decor is a matter of taste, and rooms vary tremendously in size and layout. In general it is fair to say, I think, that the rooms are either a bit bland and cold, or sleek and "clean", depending on your taste and perspective. Beds are fantastic, if you like beds on the firmer size as I do.

I find the service at reception to be generally pleasant, though often with the feeling it's a bit artificially cordial. Room service is consistently gracious and the room service breakfast excellent. An overcooked waffle was quickly and graciously replaced.

I did have one surprising experience...the receptionist, when I requested a room I had previously stayed in, took over ten minutes to decide whether I could be upgraded, as she typed furiously, checked with her supervisor, etc., while refusing to tell me what was taking so long...and all this for a bigger room (not a suite) and as a diamond. This isn't typical, but was unfortunate.

All and all, I'd say a pleasant experience if the price is right. At full freight I'd consider other options.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm here for a few nights on a FFN redemption. Friends raved about a recent stay at Hyatt Andaz Hollywood so wanted to check one out for myself (they were there for Dancing with the Stars in which their daughter competed).

Arrived just after noon and was offered the option of a sofa check in or table check in in the lobby. I went for the table check in with Pablo with a laptop. He walked me up to my 6th floor upgraded executive king room and covered some of the features (the vacuum based toilet that uses 20% water typically used, drinks/snacks, bathrobes, safe, laundry). I asked about breakfast and was told I have the option of buffet or ordering off the menu. Will likely go buffet the first day and if not happy with that order off menu (and reconfirm if there is a price cap on that--I didn't ask).

The 6th floor has porthole style windows that let in quite a bit of light during the day (looking from outside it appears to be the only floor with this style of window). They have shutters which you can open. The downside of this room is that once the sun goes down there is not enough lighting to keep that "bright" effect, even with all the lights on. That may be a matter of personal preference as there certainly is enough lighting for reading on the sofa or at the desk, but I just like bright rooms.

I'm using the wired access at the desk. Wi-fi is also available. Flat screen televisions in both the living room and desk area.

I walked down Bishopgate and over to the Tower of London in early evening. Came back from London Bridge Tube station on the other side of the Thames. Andaz adjoins Liverpool Street station which I consider a plus for getting around London. Plenty of cafes, shops and markets around here, including a Cornish Pasty stall outside the train station that I hope to hit.

I did make it down to the health club in the basement around 9:30 tonight. It's an adventure to get down there, as you walk through the lobby, down a hallway, down a flight of stairs, past a bar/restaurant, and then to the health club. They had 3 treadmills with cable TV (SkyNews, CNN, BBC all available), as well 4 other pieces of cardio equipment. There are lockers and a steam room. I found out about President Clinton being hospitalized while running. There were only 2 of us there during my visit.

I'll be taking some more photos over the next few days and they'll be linked below. For now:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.