Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
The Heathrow Connect is much cheaper than the Express. Ok, so it's not so frequent but it saves quite a lot. I think a booked limo is around £45. Heathrow Express £16.50 one way (although I think you can get around 15% off looking at the Hex promotion thread). Connect is £7.90 one way. The trains go to Paddington so you would need to get either taxi (<£10) or tube (£1.60? with an Oyster card). Tube all the way from Heathrow will take a long time but be the cheapest option.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is discussed at length in the UK forum. Last time I tried the Heathrow Connect it was delayed, they told me potentially for hours, at a small station with no other public transport alternatives. After watching two Heathrow Expresses whiz by, I deserted the stopped train and walked somewhere where I could get a bus and eventually a taxi to the Churchill.

Now this is probably uncommon, but it shows there is a difference in how the two trains are treated.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:00 pm

Hotel Churchill for Diamond

I am a Diamond and plan on staying at the Churchill next Oct. for 5 days on a vacation. Should I pay for the cheapest room and see the room upgrade due to being a diamond or use my suite upgrade coupon - will there be a difference in the room I am given
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The Churchill master thread should have all relevant information. You will not be upgraded to a suite in Europe, because of your Diamond status, not even as a Diamond+ or Diamond++.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt lifetime Diamond, BA Gold, Amex ?
Diamond upgrade

I regularly get upgraded to a suite at the Churchill, when there is one available, I use the hotel two three times every year so I do not know if this is due to diamond status (lifetime) or just that I am a reguar customer.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Have stayed here several times as Diamond and never had suite upgrade. Mostly all I get is a park view room rather than the ones that overlook the local police station.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by listener2
I use the hotel two three times every year so I do not know if this is due to diamond status (lifetime) or just that I am a regular customer.
Being a Lifetime Diamond member certainly changes the equation completely ^^
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:24 pm

they will still allow access to the club?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by sunfun
they will still allow access to the club?
I have always been given access to the RC regardless of which floor I am staying on
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:13 pm

Booked a room and used a suite upgrade for and the Mrs. also booked a twin room for the kids, I asked for a connecting room but couldn't get confirmation that they would be able to accomodate. Plan to call the Hotel directly to see what they can do - any advice from regulars, seem to recall that corner suites on floor 8/9 have option of a connecting room - tx
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe one of the two corner suites on EVERY floor that has corner suites has a connecting room. If you're in a suite, regardless of floor, they will set up the key so it opens the club room. So yes, I think it would be worthwhile to call and ask. When you call, it might be better to request that you are put through to the club floor agents instead of the front desk, the club floor folks tend to be quite helpful.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:06 pm

Walk

I stayed here over the weekend: some feedback, mainly with regard to transportation

Originally Posted by price123
The Heathrow Connect is much cheaper than the Express. Ok, so it's not so frequent but it saves quite a lot. I think a booked limo is around £45. Heathrow Express £16.50 one way (although I think you can get around 15% off looking at the Hex promotion thread). Connect is £7.90 one way. The trains go to Paddington so you would need to get either taxi (<£10) or tube (£1.60? with an Oyster card). Tube all the way from Heathrow will take a long time but be the cheapest option.
I was very uncertain of how I would choose to go Churchill --> LHR early on a Sunday morning. Before my stay, I did not know the area well -- this advice is most useful for anyone who doesn't know the area well. I didn't know the area before, and assumed I would need to add 10 GBP for a taxi for either train. Before my stay, I strongly considered the cheap tube, but knew it would take forever and be a huge hassle.

My first suggestion is this: if the weather is nice, and you have mobile luggage, WALK to Paddington. from the Churchill.

At 7:15am, on a clear, brisk day, its an easy walk which took ~17 minutes with a rollaboard suitcase. The walk excellent before a long flight anyway. Its probably not more hassle than all the tube changes. If you can take the tube transfers, you can probably just do the walk to paddington.

HEX+Taxi: 28 GBP
Tube: <5GBP
Walk + Heathrow connect: 7.90 GBP (best time/ease value IME).

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is discussed at length in the UK forum. Last time I tried the Heathrow Connect it was delayed, they told me potentially for hours, at a small station with no other public transport alternatives. After watching two Heathrow Expresses whiz by, I deserted the stopped train and walked somewhere where I could get a bus and eventually a taxi to the Churchill.

Now this is probably uncommon, but it shows there is a difference in how the two trains are treated.
In short, that sucks. I had no issue, but I don't see how you couldn't also have an similar with the Tube, the HEX, or traffic. Bad luck is bad luck. :/

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have always been given access to the RC regardless of which floor I am staying on
Room on 7, RC is on 8. Had RC access as Diamond member.

Great hotel, great location (went for a jog in Hyde Park), nice RC. ^^^

Only complaint is I did not receive any Diamond welcome amenity/letter/etc. Nothing in the room. Brief 1 night stay, and this actually only occurred to me as I was packing at 6:45am the morning I checked out. I called reception to mention it. Got a less-than-minor apology, but there was really nothing to be done. Not sure if there is anything to be done at this point either. E-mailed hotel earlier today just to let mgmt know for other Diamonds.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hey Folks,
I am a huge fan of this property.
They have been great to me and I really admire
the typically fantastic team of polished friendly professionals here that makes Hyatt proud^
Mr. Pritzker was staying here during one of my first visits.
Wish I had the opportunity to shake his hand.

Just be aware that there are some perfectly fine private drivers that will pick you up at LHR booked in advance for about 25 to 29 GBP (corrected) on average in a nice enough new car and save you from all the grief of the public transportation.
And the overpriced metered taxi
Sure that Heathrow Express is nice however it doesn’t come cheap either.
And how does one compare that with door to door private transportation with no real worries?Who wants to catch a taxi after first paying for a train
And if you are even more than one person traveling even makes less economic sense. Save and cut costs after u get settled at the hotel if u like. The bus, subway and so on.....
However I no longer play the penny pinch game on arrival or departure. Done!
There is a value attached to my comfort and enjoying my stay.
Been subjected to being stuck on a subway track on the way to the airport for departure by 30 minutes, sweating through the subways by summer, standing after flying for 15 hours to the city and being packed like sardines

I for one don't like flying Business or first Class over the pond going to a first class hotel and then having to deal with antiquated subway systems with luggage and carry ons.There are threads on these transportation options and I can dig them up if need be. It makes the stay a complete pleasure when you don’t have to worry and you can arrive in a highly civilized relaxed style
A round of drinks was 35 dollars last night that I picked up. My comfort and sanity on a trip is of importance to me it took me years and getting older to wake up and smell the Hyatt Coffee
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 25, 2010 at 5:22 pm
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Hey Folks,
I am a huge fan of this property.
They have been great to me and I really admire
the typically fantastic team of polished friendly professionals here that makes Hyatt proud^
Mr. Pritzker was staying here during one of my first visits.
Wish I had the opportunity to shake his hand.

Just be aware that there are some perfectly fine private drivers that will pick you up at LHR booked in advance for about 25 to 29 lbs on average in a nice enough new car and save you from all the grief of the public transportation.
And the overpriced metered taxi
Sure that Heathrow Express is nice however it doesn’t come cheap either.
And how does one compare that with door to door private transportation with no real worries?Who wants to catch a taxi after first paying for a train
And if you are even more than one person traveling even makes less economic sense. Save and cut costs after u get settled at the hotel if u like. The bus, subway and so on.....
However I no longer play the penny pinch game on arrival or departure. Done!
There is a value attached to my comfort and enjoying my stay.
Been subjected to being stuck on a subway track on the way to the airport for departure by 30 minutes, sweating through the subways by summer, standing after flying for 15 hours to the city and being packed like sardines

I for one don't like flying Business or first Class over the pond going to a first class hotel and then having to deal with antiquated subway systems with luggage and carry ons.There are threads on these transportation options and I can dig them up if need be. It makes the stay a complete pleasure when you don’t have to worry and you can arrive in a highly civilized relaxed style
A round of drinks was 35 dollars last night that I picked up. My comfort and sanity on a trip is of importance to me it took me years and getting older to wake up and smell the Hyatt Coffee
Cheers
For some of us it's about the adventure, not just the ride. Cheers.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:18 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
about 25 to 29 lbs on average
Is this how much the drivers weigh? I think you mean GBP

I for one agree. You don't fly premium cabins, stay in 5 star hotels to have the stress of locating ground transportation on arrival, or dealing with public transport. London is one city where you want a car prebooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.