Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:59 am

At the Churchill today and check-in time is 3.00pm, in the lounge and it's now 4.00pm and still the suite is not ready - is this appropriate to keep me waiting 1hr past the normal check-in time? How much of a stink should I raise (I'm on awards :-))
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by cmanc
At the Churchill today and check-in time is 3.00pm, in the lounge and it's now 4.00pm and still the suite is not ready - is this appropriate to keep me waiting 1hr past the normal check-in time? How much of a stink should I raise (I'm on awards :-))
Greetings and welcome to the Hyatt Churchill London!
One of the nicer Hyatt Hotels anywhere I have the pleasure of traveling!
Let me say IMO that when you have a hotel like the Hyatt Churchill that has demonstrated consistent excellence to Gold Passport members that you enjoy a drink in the lounge or at the bar
( hopefully on them )and smile.

On the Regency Club Floor or the front desk one typically finds heartfelt and caring team members ready to spring into action and make your stay great.

Understand that when you are checking into a suite that puts the hotel in a more difficult position to get check in/ out times down to perfection
The good folks from the Hyatt Churchill have blocked a specific VIP accommodation for your pleasure. Departing guests sometimes have arranged for a let check out or are slow departing.

I think an hour or two is fully acceptable specifically as you are in a specialty suite which there are far fewer of.
Be sure to ask nicely for a later check out upon your checkout also based on your patience waiting to check in.
Should that be something at the end of your stay that would be helpful.
Its about cooperation on both sides in the end or in a perfect world.
I would like to add that revenue or reward the expectation should always remain the same.Gold Passport and one of its stregnths is that is a non discriminatory program when it comes to in house recognition/treatment ^
Disclaimer :There of course may be some rare exceptions

If it really is important to unwind straight away for you kindly request a temporary guest room with a front office manager or duty manager until your suite becomes available. One wants cooperation and respect in a hotel that has the ability to give you a great stay now and for many years to come.
Its a ladies and gentleman world at the Hyatt Churchill
They are typically consumate professionals working to the best of their ability.

It’s my experience handling things like a diplomat returns the kindness tenfold and makes for a happier stay with warmer hospitality throughout.
Have a fantastic time in London! I am envious of your awaiting accommodations’

Thank You for the question and do share a trip report with us upon your return

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Let me say IMO that when you have a hotel like the Hyatt Churchill that has demonstrated consistent excellence to Gold Passport members that you enjoy a drink in the lounge or at the bar

On the Regency Club Floor or the front desk one typically finds heartfelt and caring team members ready to spring into action and make your stay great.

Understand that when you are checking into a suite that puts the hotel in a more difficult position to get check in/ out times down to perfection
The good folks from the Hyatt Churchill have blocked a specific VIP accommodation for your pleasure. Departing guests sometimes have arranged for a let check out or are slow departing.

I think an hour or two is fully acceptable specifically as you are in a specialty suite which there are far fewer of.Be sure to ask nicely for a later check out upon your checkout also based on your patience waiting to check in. Should that be something at the end of your stay that would be helpful.
I would like to add that revenue or reward the expectation should always remain the same

If it really is important to unwind straight away for you kindly request a temporary guest room with a front office manager or duty manager until your suite becomes available. One wants cooperation and respect in a hotel that has the ability to give you a great stay now and for many years to come.
They are typically consumate professionals working to the best of their ability.

It’s my experience handling things like a diplomat returns the kindness tenfold and makes for a happier stay with warmer hospitality throughout.

^ may i suggest a career in diplomacy and conflict resolution?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

I think an hour or two is fully acceptable specifically as you are in a specialty suite which there are far fewer of.Be sure to ask nicely for a later check out upon your checkout also based on your patience waiting to check in. Should that be something at the end of your stay that would be helpful.
I would like to add that revenue or reward the expectation should always remain the same

I failed to see those friendly smiling faces when we checked in last time at the Churchill. They mostly looked upon us as something the cat had dragged in. But then again we probably weren´t dressed like proper ladys and gentlemen.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by micke100
I failed to see those friendly smiling faces when we checked in last time at the Churchill. They mostly looked upon us as something the cat had dragged in. But then again we probably weren´t dressed like proper ladys and gentlemen.
Cats are choosy pets so I take it you are the VIP cat’s meows of the hotel
All experiences will/do vary.
Each and every day/hour is like a Broadway show.
One will see the best of man kind’s performance and perhaps the less desirable sides of folks They are human and subject to stress as we are
Not that you shouldn't feel welcome anytime you spend your money. You should
Every day on the road is a new experience after 20 plus years of travel
I have seen at all. Failures of every kind can be experienced at the very best hotels. How the property handles the matter is another story.
Yes one should feel welcomed and appreciated.And anytime you are a guest in house

There has never been a bad stay at this hotel in my own repeated experiences. Yet some were better than others
The Churchill has a typically professional act and notably the restaurant does an impressive job ^
My rule of thumb is does the overall stay positives outweigh the negatives?
And is it something that can be fixed so one doesn't have to make a report to Hyatt Consumer Affairs

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:17 am
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
My experiences at the Churchill mirror those of 777 Global Mile Hound. I have never had a bad stay. I am always greeted as an old friend when I walk up to the front door and equally warmly on the Club floor.

Even when there has been a hiccup during a stay, the ultimate outcome of the stay is always very positive.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by awpeters
I posted earlier today in an informative way about an inexpensive yet comfortable and reasonable middle ground for getting to/from this hotel and Heathrow solely to provide additional options for anyone staying here. It was information I would have liked to have had last week before my stay. Perhaps someone else can benefit from it, as I'm sure others may benefit from your suggestion for a private driver. As long as its not rush hour, sounds like a good potential option. Otherwise, I'm not sure how your extensive and continued thoughts on spending money for comfort are relevant to this thread or discussion.
All opinions are (or should be) equally welcome on FT. I for one appreciate the contributions by you and also those by "777" in this sequence of posts.

One of the persistent problems I have noticed on FlyerTalk since I began to read it in 1998 is a (sometimes-subtle, sometimes not) perception on the part of those with 100% mobility about those who do not enjoy the same level of mobility. Although I'm a well-fed guy, I've always enjoyed walking whenever possible in urban areas (no better way to explore). But when I had an accident and major foot surgery in 2002, everything changed. Although I recovered and I still like to walk around when feasible, the months after the surgery were a real eye-opener to the very different way an even partially mobility-challened person views things like "the best way to get somewhere". Let me make it clear that this is NOT an attack on anyone here - more of a Rodney King-like plea that the exchange of informed opinion does not need to be contentious.

Back to the thread topic - Many people will find the fact that HR Churchill-to-Paddington is a "do-able" walk a very helpful point of information (it was especially helpful to give the time estimate). Not to press my luck here, but if time allows and to help the map-addled , could you describe the route you took on your sojourn between the hotel and the station?

Thanks again for your valuable and insightful contributions. ^
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:22 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The easiest route I can describe is to turn left at the front door, and then turn left again at the first street (so you are walking along the side of the hotel). Go straight to Edgware Road. That's the first big street you'll reach, you can tell it's Edgware by all the Arabic signs.

Turn right on Edgware and walk away from Marble Arch up Edgware until you reach Praed Street. That's the last significant road before the ring road (you'll see the overpass ahead). Cross Edgware, i.e, turn left on to Praed street. Walk past St Mary's hospital to Paddington.

On Edgware there are also a number of bus routes that go to Paddington.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:31 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
On Edgware there are also a number of bus routes that go to Paddington.
+1

unless you have no luggage or are in good shape or it is rush hours and the buses are 110% full, I'd recommend considering the bus.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
All opinions are (or should be) equally welcome on FT. I for one appreciate the contributions by you and also those by "777" in this sequence of posts.

One of the persistent problems I have noticed on FlyerTalk since I began to read it in 1998 is a (sometimes-subtle, sometimes not) perception on the part of those with 100% mobility about those who do not enjoy the same level of mobility. Although I'm a well-fed guy, I've always enjoyed walking whenever possible in urban areas (no better way to explore). But when I had an accident and major foot surgery in 2002, everything changed. Although I recovered and I still like to walk around when feasible, the months after the surgery were a real eye-opener to the very different way an even partially mobility-challened person views things like "the best way to get somewhere". Let me make it clear that this is NOT an attack on anyone here - more of a Rodney King-like plea that the exchange of informed opinion does not need to be contentious.
Back to the thread topic - Many people will find the fact that HR Churchill-to-Paddington is a "do-able" walk a very helpful point of information (it was especially helpful to give the time estimate). Not to press my luck here, but if time allows and to help the map-addled , could you describe the route you took on your sojourn between the hotel and the station?

Thanks again for your valuable and insightful contributions. ^
I want to thank you for your insightful posts as well as your incredibly kind words ^
It is all about the full circle of positive exchange of information that makes FT such a great source of travel and program information.I was having some conversation last night with one of my more favorite long time moderators on Flyertalk. After dinner I brought the topic up in a roundabout way over overly reactive posters to select certain posts.
One of a number of reasons I am a huge supporter of the recently introduced "Newbie Lounge"
which I am delighted along with many other fellow Ambassadors to be assisting others.

The mobility comments
are spot on considering I know a number of folks with athletic and age related knee/orthapedic issues. Some posters don't always get the full picture of what a posters age, medical condition or other such factors when understanding why such all such opinions need be expressed freely and openly.So it really shouldn't matter what the suggestions are as long as they are shared here amongst us in the spirit of community/helping each other.

If I have learned anything
about my ten years plus on Flyertalk it is that one doesn't always have to have the last word.
Smart folks will typically see the good or bad in shared information online
Perhaps the best response may be in fact be no response if one doesn’t have something nice to say
Thankfully most are positive and helpful with our interactions with each other ^
Cheers and on with Hyatt Churchill discussions

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:37 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I myself have some mobility problems with long walks or lots of stairs.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:14 pm

Talking Medicaltalk.com

Originally Posted by peteropny
I myself have some mobility problems with long walks or lots of stairs.
You are in very good company Peteropny as a number close to me share the same/similar challenges.A good friend of mine an excellent tennis player is going in for their 3rd knee surgery.If I can give any advice out there to our athletic community do low impact where ever possible!!! Dont run on hard pavement or chances are you may seriously suffer with serious issues down the road........

There is little the medical world can offer other then quick fixes/pain killers........
Its no party. Low Impact is the way to go read articles is my suggestion for those who would like to know more.
Very relevant to the Hyatt Churchill of course
Hopefully the Churchill is handicapped compliant
Had to get back on topic somehow I was feeling guilty
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only time I've had to go down lots of stairs at the Hyatt Churchill was when the fire alarm went off (false alarm, thankfully). That of course would be virtually the only time I've had a room on the 9th floor!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I had another wonderful stay this past weekend for my bday. Used a suite cert, but was given a different suite than promised by a manager. No big deal, I think they really try. Only downside, it was a smoking room. Left me a bottle of champagne and chocolate bday cake for me. This is a great property with a great location.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Originally Posted by awpeters
FWIW, I am in my mid-20's. I have shown up with a backpack and only a backpack at LX's Zurich First Class Check-in, the TG F lounge, multiple Park Hyatts and Intercontinentals, among other places, and also at some youth hostels.
I am in my mid-20's. My wife and I will be showing up to either this property or the Andaz with backpacks, after backpacking through grimy hostels (and perhaps some luxury collection SPG ) in Africa and flying F on BA to LHR.

Is the Andaz more connected to LHR? We will be heading out of London to Paris on the Eurostar - is this property vs Andaz more convenient for Eurostar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.