Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. I've stayed at the Churchill. The HI would be 5,000 points if comparing quality with the Churchill at 22,000 points.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I just looked at a room photo for the Holiday Inn--Mayfair and the Hyatt Churchill and they sure didn't look the same to me. The Holiday Inn photo starts with an ancient tubed TV and goes on to show a faded carpet, cheap bedspread, etc. And this is their publicity photo!
The issue here is not aesthetics but value and the latter is less subjective. TVs whether they be flat screen or ancient tube is all the same to me. I don't turn them on in any case. However, I am (and many here I'd suspect are) not indifferent to cleanliness and comfort. Yet, Holiday Inn properties are known for basic, clean and comfortable lodging, although of course they are not known for anything more. My view is that Hyatt Churchill offers very basic amenities to its diamond members and so much so that one would get a better value (relative to price paid) at a Holiday Inn than at 5* Hyatt in London.
But if you believe they do look the same, then go for the Holiday Inn in the future as it is undoubtedly cheaper.
Again price is not the issue but value is.
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. I've stayed at the Churchill. The HI would be 5,000 points if comparing quality with the Churchill at 22,000 points.
Thanks for your input. You are perhaps in a more privileged position to say something comparing your experience at both these properties. Also I am interested to know which property offered more value relative to the price? Which property do you think merited the price paid? And does my idle speculation that the basic offering of Hyatt Churchill compare to the offerings at Holiday Inn?

Of course there are many other Holiday Inn properties around London and they may still beat Hyatt Churchill for value even if Mayfair prima facie (a la RichardInSF's first glance) doesn't seem to be looking all too great.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Dec 10, 2010 at 11:56 pm
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Thanks for your input. You are perhaps in a more privileged position to say something comparing your experience at both these properties. Also I am interested to know which property offered more value relative to the price? Which property do you think merited the price paid? And does my idle speculation that the basic offering of Hyatt Churchill compare to the offerings at Holiday Inn?

Of course there are many other Holiday Inn properties around London and they may still beat Hyatt Churchill for value even if Mayfair prima facie (a la RichardInSF's first glance) doesn't seem to be looking all too great.
I have only stayed at both properties on a cash basis, not points. I only stayed at the HI Mayfair once, 3 years ago, and I cannot remember what I paid, but I recall it was around $400US, similar to what I typically pay at the Churchill (where I have stayed many times). I found the HI to be old and tired, without much charm at all. The food in the restaurant wasn't up to par with the Churchill, the sleeping room I had was small and tired, even the lifts gave an air of old and tired. I haven't gone back because of my perceptions of the property.

I find I get fairly good value for money at the Churchill.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
How can someone explain the fact that for 31st March there are no twin rooms available to book for cash yet I was just able to book one for a welcome back free night?

If there is a chance that I won't be getting a twin room things would be really uncomfortable because I'm travelling with a colleague... I don't suppose they would give us one room each then?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be tempted to email the hotel and ask. They definitely would not give you one room each for the same price, especially if they are close to full already. I think the Hyatt guarantee for diamonds is that you get some points, not a second room.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
I think the Hyatt guarantee for diamonds is that you get some points, not a second room.
See you could always share the points after sharing the bed . OK jokes aside, seriously HR Churchill will NOT give you a complimentary room. If you don't want to be sleeping with your colleague (i.e. in the same bed), I'd suggest you take proactive measures and get this sorted. The (diamond best in its class) rooms are so small that a rollerbed might not work unless it is set up in the bath tub. Diamonds should NOT expect much at this property.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:44 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by crystak
How can someone explain the fact that for 31st March there are no twin rooms available to book for cash yet I was just able to book one for a welcome back free night?

If there is a chance that I won't be getting a twin room things would be really uncomfortable because I'm travelling with a colleague... I don't suppose they would give us one room each then?
In my own experience it is the odd way the folks at the hotels assign room inventory in the system.
To be fair I have had this problem in other programs when booking.I notice for examply typically its is the award rooms that get the short end of the stick.When I go to redeem at SPG I have noticed there can be only handicapped rooms when booking award and fairly frequently.
As an example so many room types are set aside for award rooms, revenue rooms,promotional rooms such as stay certificates.
Sometimes the same situation happens in reverse like no award kings only doubles but plenty available for revenue. In these situations I book it first to reserve it so they don't run out. Second I call the hotel and ask to speak with either the Front Desk Manager,the Front Office Manager or the Rooms Executive.
One of these folks typically can wave the magic wand and allocate the bedding type easily in most situations. In particular this is a hotel that has a stellar customer service/guest satisfcation record overall.From the numerous referrals I have personally sent the hotel they rarely receive anything but mostly positive feedback. Absolutely as suggested previously contact the hotel for best results.Have a great stay in London
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:34 am
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
See you could always share the points after sharing the bed . OK jokes aside, seriously HR Churchill will NOT give you a complimentary room. If you don't want to be sleeping with your colleague (i.e. in the same bed), I'd suggest you take proactive measures and get this sorted. The (diamond best in its class) rooms are so small that a rollerbed might not work unless it is set up in the bath tub. Diamonds should NOT expect much at this property.
I understand you don't like this hotel, but this view is a bit harsh. For example, the Four Seasons London, a luxury hotel, just finished a major ground-up renovation and the majority of their rooms (at twice the Churchill price) are 25-30sqmt in size. Small rooms are unfortunately the norm in London.

Also, I don't know of ANY hotel that would give away a complimentary second room in this situation. And I know of no other chain that would even guarantee some points, so that's a plus of the Hyatt program for diamonds.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's actually going to be my third stay at the hotel and I was just assured via email that I will indeed get my twin room so I'm not worried. I also think that it's a nice hotel, I got upgraded to club rooms in the past and although the rooms aren't particularly big, they're not small by London standards.

+ the RC is better than most!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:10 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Here are some details on the renovation: http://www.citmagazine.com/channel/n...rbishment-May/
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt lifetime Diamond, BA Gold, Amex ?
great hotel

I just spent a week with my son here, in a junior suite, really enjoyed it, could have stayed in any of the big name hotels but I am drawn back to this one when in London, It's not the location because many have good locations, it's not the facilities because many have more facilities, it's not the room because although good it's not great, What's special about this hotel is the staff, Michael Grey is the Sir Alex Ferguson of hotel management and has put together a great team, the staff at the regency club are great, the younger management are maturing into a good solid team.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by listener2
I just spent a week with my son here, in a junior suite, really enjoyed it, could have stayed in any of the big name hotels but I am drawn back to this one when in London, It's not the location because many have good locations, it's not the facilities because many have more facilities, it's not the room because although good it's not great, What's special about this hotel is the staff, Michael Grey is the Sir Alex Ferguson of hotel management and has put together a great team, the staff at the regency club are great, the younger management are maturing into a good solid team.
I know who Michael Grey is, but I had to google Sir Alex Ferguson!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
I know who Michael Grey is, but I had to google Sir Alex Ferguson!
LOL...I'm actually on here doing research for the Champions League final this year at Wembley so a bit ironic. I'm leaning more towards the Andaz though just to try it out.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:02 am

From the website:

From 23 February to 15 May 2011, the Regency Club Lounge will be closed. The hotel’s Regency Club Lounge Services will be relocated temporarily to an alternative area of the hotel. We anticipate minimum disruption to our guest
It would be interesting to hear what these arrangements are from guests staying at the hotel in this time period.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Nice stay, nice hotel - better than expected

Based on this thread, I wasn't expecting much, and it turns out to be a really nice property. As listener2 points out down below, the staff is uniformly friendly; someone has done a great job of ensuring that everyone from the front door to the font desk to the housekeeping staff says "hello" and "how are you today?" as if they meant it - and most of them really seem to like their jobs.

Otherwise, the breakfast buffet in the lounge was very good, and the standard room I checked out (having used a suite upgrade for my own room) is quite decent if not sumptuous. I'll be back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.