Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Comprehensive American style breakfast options, made to order omelettes, some Arabian options (usually some foul, etc). Nice selection of yogurts, fruits, homemade Bircher museli. Salad selection including some Arabic touches. Often a Chinese/ Indian option or two incl. some rice. Fresh juices and some kind of pastry selection (not my thing). For Europe, you won’t do that much better.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Comprehensive American style breakfast options, made to order omelettes, some Arabian options (usually some foul, etc). Nice selection of yogurts, fruits, homemade Bircher museli. Salad selection including some Arabic touches. Often a Chinese/ Indian option or two incl. some rice. Fresh juices and some kind of pastry selection (not my thing). For Europe, you won’t do that much better.
Thanks, bro!

Ah, haha, I guess Asia has spoiled me, especially Andaz Tokyo and Andaz Singapore.

I’ll be in London in August and September so I'm trying to figure when and where to optimize my spending. I definitely don't want to pay more than I have to. In terms of cash rate, what's the lowest you've seen in 2023?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For the Churchill? Suffice to say, not low. Probably £320? Maybe £340? Sometimes it goes over £600 for whole months on end, then often around October you get "Arab season" and you can be talking £700 up as half of the state of Qatar descends on the hotel. As mentioned above, the hotel has some of the best points availability you'll see anywhere, so the 25,000 points at those times feels like incredible value. The place can become a bit of a circus at those times though (the customers can be rather demanding and at times somewhat antisocial) and so I'll often stay out of that particular part of Mayfair for a few months.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

No traditional English breakfast options?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:55 am

The delta between an American breakfast and an English breakfast are things like fried bread and black pudding, neither of which I remember seeing. I think there might be beans which will count. The English sausages are nice, certainly better than the American style bacon which is fashionable in British hotels nowadays.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The delta between an American breakfast and an English breakfast are things like fried bread and black pudding, neither of which I remember seeing. I think there might be beans which will count. The English sausages are nice, certainly better than the American style bacon which is fashionable in British hotels nowadays.
I tend to avoid what I can eat back home. There is another kind of bacon?!

As for beans, no thanks. I think that's part of a traditional English breakfast?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks, bro. It can be so hard to pick a hotel with so many options available! I think for this trip, I would prefer a hotel near the Elizabeth Line.

Do I have to pay the 5% discretionary charge on an award stay?

Do you have any specifics on the breakfast and evening food spread? Fairly high quality?
No 5% surcharge on award stays (nor on cash stays if you ask them at check in, check out or anytime including via the App/Messenger).
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
No 5% surcharge on award stays (nor on cash stays if you ask them at check in, check out or anytime including via the App/Messenger).
This surcharge is reminding me of the destination fees in the US! This is why I avoid Marriotts in the US. Globalists don't have to pay it!
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
For the Churchill? Suffice to say, not low. Probably £320? Maybe £340? Sometimes it goes over £600 for whole months on end, then often around October you get "Arab season" and you can be talking £700 up as half of the state of Qatar descends on the hotel. As mentioned above, the hotel has some of the best points availability you'll see anywhere, so the 25,000 points at those times feels like incredible value. The place can become a bit of a circus at those times though (the customers can be rather demanding and at times somewhat antisocial) and so I'll often stay out of that particular part of Mayfair for a few months.
I haven’t stayed (yet) in October are prices really higher than Summer (and antisocial behaviours more widespread)?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
I haven’t stayed (yet) in October are prices really higher than Summer (and antisocial behaviours more widespread)?
This summer was “special” as you know. In general, Sept and Oct prices are usually far higher than summer though. And yes, some of the guests can get a bit much, especially the kind who book out whole floors. My sinuses are also somewhat sensitive to oud, and the hotel can be overpowering at times. I say this as someone who has lived/ worked in Saudi and UAE without issues previously.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This summer was “special” as you know. In general, Sept and Oct prices are usually far higher than summer though. And yes, some of the guests can get a bit much, especially the kind who book out whole floors. My sinuses are also somewhat sensitive to oud, and the hotel can be overpowering at times. I say this as someone who has lived/ worked in Saudi and UAE without issues previously.
September and October prices at this hotel used to have substantially higher rates compared to summer, and the long-stay discounts were less of a discount for September and October than in the summer. The khaleeji crowd like their long London hotel stays both in the fall and in the summer — seemed to me more of a thing in the summer — but I think the guest cologne/perfume strength in the elevators would be higher in the the fall and spring than in the summer.
EuropeanPete and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have to say, this hotel is way past its prime. My last stay was 11 years ago and despite the reno it's a simple and very large hotel.

When we arrived the Front Desk Agent asked my name three times, said my name isn't correct despite my cc and passport being in front of him and eventually said "Are you sure you booked for today?" It took 90 mins from LCY and I was not in the mood and simply said "Are you joking?" He took 5 mins then said "It's because you booked yesterday." 1) I booked months ago and 2) Even if I did, what would it matter?

We received a Regency Suite which is a Junior Suite right beside the service door. The mini bar is empty, fridge does not work and we wanted some cold water.

Breakfast is a zoo with the acoustics increasing the sound and making for the most unpleasant morning experience.

Honestly, anyone paying cash rates here are better off booking The Rosewood or a true luxury hotel for a little bit more. I know hotels post Covid are expensive, but paying for a hotel for this type of stay is terrible value when you can book a true luxury hotel with a far superior experience. I would rather forgot my status and book through a Luxury TA, AMEX FHR etc
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:45 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
WORST STAY EVER

Called for housekeeping at 1:30PM. Returned to the room at 5:30PM to find a tap completely broken and the water pipes disconnected.

I called and asked engineering to fix. Went to the Lounge for an hour and came back and nothing had changed.

Asked for the duty manager who said he was ‘dragging a letter.’ We could stay in the Regency Suite or downgrade to a standard room and then have a Suite the night after. There were Balcony Suites but they refused to offer them. Upon pushing they then offered 12,500 points.

I have never had such a major issue, the room being unserviceable, and a hotel not offer a better room than booked. They said they would ‘kindly’ not charge for tonight as it was 7PM. I demanded a full refund in points on the basis of having to repack, move hotels and change all of our arrangements.

Furious, I called GSY where they confirmed a Premium Suite over the phone and checked out.

Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:54 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Truly sorry to hear about your stay and glad I cancelled my booking and went with the new Canopy By Hilton &
Autograph Collection Bankside instead
to newer top rated properties with near 5 star rave reviews.

Who doesn't like the Churchill its an iconic property with a good breakfast in Montague but well worn out hard product wise
I'm out of touch with current management style recognition and recovery on property as of late.
Hotels/ Hyatts properties have to understand that we want positive experiences and when they may understandably fail
not rising to the occasions of guests who spend hundreds of thousands with Hyatt/World of Hyatt
over the years is a clear fail of CRM.

They forget we have a choice and recovery says who you are
what you stand for and how you value your brand standards and the long term good standing relationship of a guest
In the past I've watched Hyatt be at the top of that consistency however over the past half decade and especially with
covid easing I've seen to frequently the opposite personally. I wont pay the extra 150 dollars a night compared
to competing properties when I read about terse negotiations to make things right.

I go where I see value and brand assurance without having to stress out during a stay and then stress again after the stay
It takes the joy out of travel on occasion completely.
As a seasoned knowledgeable traveler I know you will make the right choice and move on
and put this in your past from the recent the fiasco.
Have a private saying to myself whenever I travel "somethings got to give"
and its usually a failed stay a lost pair of sunglasses etc
Just as long as it isn't my passport or wallet!
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:03 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

I’m over it now. Perplexing as I was in contact with the GM and Guest Relations Manager who organised the Suite Upgrade.

I avoided the GSY because of the room size, but the property is delightful. Looking after a Glob after a terrible experience at a sister property is the sign of an excellent hotel. I only recently learnt that Sholto Smith is the GM ex PH MEL. Hope to see him before I leave,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.