FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:06 pm
Surgee

Walk

I stayed here over the weekend: some feedback, mainly with regard to transportation

Originally Posted by price123
The Heathrow Connect is much cheaper than the Express. Ok, so it's not so frequent but it saves quite a lot. I think a booked limo is around £45. Heathrow Express £16.50 one way (although I think you can get around 15% off looking at the Hex promotion thread). Connect is £7.90 one way. The trains go to Paddington so you would need to get either taxi (<£10) or tube (£1.60? with an Oyster card). Tube all the way from Heathrow will take a long time but be the cheapest option.
I was very uncertain of how I would choose to go Churchill --> LHR early on a Sunday morning. Before my stay, I did not know the area well -- this advice is most useful for anyone who doesn't know the area well. I didn't know the area before, and assumed I would need to add 10 GBP for a taxi for either train. Before my stay, I strongly considered the cheap tube, but knew it would take forever and be a huge hassle.

My first suggestion is this: if the weather is nice, and you have mobile luggage, WALK to Paddington. from the Churchill.

At 7:15am, on a clear, brisk day, its an easy walk which took ~17 minutes with a rollaboard suitcase. The walk excellent before a long flight anyway. Its probably not more hassle than all the tube changes. If you can take the tube transfers, you can probably just do the walk to paddington.

HEX+Taxi: 28 GBP
Tube: <5GBP
Walk + Heathrow connect: 7.90 GBP (best time/ease value IME).

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is discussed at length in the UK forum. Last time I tried the Heathrow Connect it was delayed, they told me potentially for hours, at a small station with no other public transport alternatives. After watching two Heathrow Expresses whiz by, I deserted the stopped train and walked somewhere where I could get a bus and eventually a taxi to the Churchill.

Now this is probably uncommon, but it shows there is a difference in how the two trains are treated.
In short, that sucks. I had no issue, but I don't see how you couldn't also have an similar with the Tube, the HEX, or traffic. Bad luck is bad luck. :/

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have always been given access to the RC regardless of which floor I am staying on
Room on 7, RC is on 8. Had RC access as Diamond member.

Great hotel, great location (went for a jog in Hyde Park), nice RC. ^^^

Only complaint is I did not receive any Diamond welcome amenity/letter/etc. Nothing in the room. Brief 1 night stay, and this actually only occurred to me as I was packing at 6:45am the morning I checked out. I called reception to mention it. Got a less-than-minor apology, but there was really nothing to be done. Not sure if there is anything to be done at this point either. E-mailed hotel earlier today just to let mgmt know for other Diamonds.