Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Plot twist: to maximum points, I would like to book nights 1, 3 and 5 where I'm the guest, and nights 2 and 4 where my spouse is the guest. Both will be present and both are Diamond.
I don't understand the problem.

Obviously you can book a single 5 night reservation with both of you as guests and apply the DSU, and there will be no problem at all.

But it sounds as if you are trying to break this into five separate stays so you effectively get 5 stay credits for what is really a single 5 night stay? Is that correct?
Old May 30, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand the problem.

Obviously you can book a single 5 night reservation with both of you as guests and apply the DSU, and there will be no problem at all.

But it sounds as if you are trying to break this into five separate stays so you effectively get 5 stay credits for what is really a single 5 night stay? Is that correct?
The OP said the objective was to "maximize points". It would, but only by the Diamond amenity point option AFAIK. That would only be 4K extra points, which IMO is overwhelmingly offset by the hassle. Unless negotiated otherwise, this would also require more DSU's and the risk of 4 room changes.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:43 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by RTW1
... the use of a DSU requires the account-holder to have the reservation for all consecutive nights.
Lets refer to the HGP Terms and Conditions:
A complimentary suite upgrade is valid on paid nights when paying an Eligible Rate, for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights, at participating Hyatt hotels where suite accommodations are available.
The word "stay" is completely absent. Surely if a DSU is valid for only one stay, then that ultra-important word would appear. In fact, the rules say the DSU is valid on "paid nights" (plural). Surely if those nights must be consecutive, then that rule would say "consecutive paid nights".

IME, one DSU covers any number of paid nights, up to seven calendar days.

Example: fly into a big city, stay one night, go out into the boondocks to do your work for four nights, return to the big city and stay another night, then fly home. IME, one DSU is good for both nights (because they're within 7 consecutive nights of each other).

Example: Hotel is completely sold out on night 3 of a 5-night stay. You stay in the hotel for two nights, then you stay elsewhere for night 3 (because hotel is sold out), then you stay in the hotel for two more nights. How many DSU's does this require?

Answer: one ... as per the official terms and conditions.

The GH San Diego is the first hotel I have encountered which has refused to honor HGP's own terms and conditions.

To be fair, my communication was with the holiday shift rather than the normal varsity team. I might try to talk to the regular crew. It's a moot point anyway, as I booked elsewhere on nights 2 and 4, to remove all possibility of misunderstanding.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Lets refer to the HGP Terms and Conditions:
A complimentary suite upgrade is valid on paid nights when paying an Eligible Rate, for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights, at participating Hyatt hotels where suite accommodations are available.
The word "stay" is completely absent. Surely if a DSU is valid for only one stay, then that ultra-important word would appear. In fact, the rules say the DSU is valid on "paid nights" (plural). Surely if those nights must be consecutive, then that rule would say "consecutive paid nights".

IME, one DSU covers any number of paid nights, up to seven calendar days
Just asking - the word "consecutive" in that sentence cannot be ignored; it's practical meaning seems obvious.

If the word consecutive were not there, your reading of the sentence would be much more credible.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:23 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok enough bickering on this issue.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

My interpretation of DSU usage is that it can only be attached to one confirmation number. So in this case a minimum of 2 DSUs would be required even if alternating days can be booked with one confirmation number. DSUs can only be used when the "owner" of the DSU is the primary guest on the reservation - so in this case one DSU would be required for the OP and one for his spouse.

FWIW, this property many years ago holds the position of being the only Hyatt property that refused to grant a 2nd room Duamond perks (specifically club access) to me. Granted, this was under the old ownership not the current one.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had a one night P&C stay there this past weekend (Memorial Day Saturday night).

The good:
- Was upgraded to a Signature Suite a week in advance without a DSC or even asking. My floor had 4 suites in less than 40 rooms, so it's a good probability.
- The suites had both a double-double on one side and a king room on the other side. So for 37.5k, $125, and a DSU, you can get a huge layout, easily 1000 sf.
- Signature suite had a table for eight.
- The bed was extremely comfortable, even for a Hyatt.

The bad:
- Food in the GC was rather lame. A good salad bar at 5pm, but that was pretty much it. A couple of tiny desserts, no real variety. Compared to the GH NYC, it was a joke.
- A dining room table and only a mini-fridge, not a full refrigerator.
- The furniture was "modern" and rather cheap both in the room and in the GC. Only one sofa with very slippery cushions in the suite, and two uncomfortable looking chairs
- I went down in the morning and reminded them about my 4pm Diamond checkout. No problem... except when housekeeping barged into to the suite connector at 3:15 while I was napping. Once I shooed her out, the front desk called to complain. I mentioned this at checkout and got a perfunctory apology.

I'd return if I had a group because the location and the amount of space are great, but as a solo or couple for one night I'd have to consider the Andaz if it had P&C, or the Kimpton Solamar.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Had a three night stay this past weekend, booked a CA state govt rate and used a DSU to upgrade to a signature suite.

Suite was nice enough, plenty of space, basically a king room connected to a parlor sort of area with a high top table for 8, wet bar, couch with pull out bed and another full bathroom. Plenty of space to roam and stretch out, lovely view on the 6th floor of the midway and harbor. Blackout curtains are a must and appreciated as it can get quite bright with the sun blaring in.

Regency club was one of the nicer ones in the US. Decent size, decent enough food and a pretty good drink selection. Breakfast was a bit on the cheap side with mediocre breads/pastries, one hot dish and horrible coffee. Evening selection was much better with a nice salad bar spread, one hot dish and decent dessert/snack selection. Alcohol was honor bar and had the same crappy hyatt wine with two other selections, one white and red. A few beers available including some local craft brews like Coronado Brewing and Stone which was appreciated. The club never seemed to be too crowded, we could always get a seat.

Nice property, definitely has the mega resort/convention center feel. We enjoyed the location and no resort fee, for the price its hard to beat and while the andaz has a far better breakfast, this property was plenty serviceable.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:28 pm

bumping up suite level

Howdy All,

My family of 5 is staying here for two days later in June, before hopping up to Anaheim to do Disneyland, and if we survive hitting HR Huntington beach to recover.

I applied a DSU which get us a Signature Suite, which from what I understand is a basic, lower floor parlor suite that's standard for GH properties.

I know it's a total first world problem, but I get tired of schlepping 2, 4, and 7 year olds down one elevator and up another (possibly between towers) when going to the club with all of us at these high floor GH properties. Between, forgotten bags, etc, I usually hit 3 miles of walking before lunch on vacation

I called the hotel today to see if they could bump me up to a Grand Suite with proximity to the club (and probably a better, harbor view). I know I'm not entitled to it, so I offered to pick up the $50 difference in price listed on hyatt.com. The front desk agent was polite, but said those were currently sold out. When I countered that there was online availability, she said they always oversell suites in anticipation of cancellations.

I've never heard of this. Is it a thing or was she just tired of my adorable Texas accent? Is there somebody better to contact, or is it better to just request this at check-in?

On an unrelated note, anybody know anything about the Amtrak train up to Anaheim? My wife thinks the kids my get a kick out of this versus renting a car for the drive.

Thanks,
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I had a one night P&C stay there this past weekend (Memorial Day Saturday night).

....I'd return if I had a group because the location and the amount of space are great, but as a solo or couple for one night I'd have to consider the Andaz if it had P&C, or the Kimpton Solamar.
I stayed here with my 17 year old son earlier this year and got the same Suite on a DSU upgrade. While it was really nice to have 1000 sq ft of space it did seem a bit much for 2 people. I would like to try the Andaz with a DSU to see if its a more interesting experience.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Howdy All,

My family of 5 is staying here for two days later in June, before hopping up to Anaheim to do Disneyland, and if we survive hitting HR Huntington beach to recover.

I applied a DSU which get us a Signature Suite, which from what I understand is a basic, lower floor parlor suite that's standard for GH properties.

I know it's a total first world problem, but I get tired of schlepping 2, 4, and 7 year olds down one elevator and up another (possibly between towers) when going to the club with all of us at these high floor GH properties. Between, forgotten bags, etc, I usually hit 3 miles of walking before lunch on vacation

I called the hotel today to see if they could bump me up to a Grand Suite with proximity to the club (and probably a better, harbor view). I know I'm not entitled to it, so I offered to pick up the $50 difference in price listed on hyatt.com. The front desk agent was polite, but said those were currently sold out. When I countered that there was online availability, she said they always oversell suites in anticipation of cancellations.

I've never heard of this. Is it a thing or was she just tired of my adorable Texas accent? Is there somebody better to contact, or is it better to just request this at check-in?

On an unrelated note, anybody know anything about the Amtrak train up to Anaheim? My wife thinks the kids my get a kick out of this versus renting a car for the drive.

Thanks,
Sorry folks, the park is closed. The mo[u]se out front should have told you.

The train to Anaheim is great....once you leave SD. The trip up the coast is right along the beach for a good portion. Check the cost though as a car might be cheaper. Take a day train to maximize the view.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Sorry folks, the park is closed. The mo[u]se out front should have told you.

Originally Posted by skunker
Check the cost though as a car might be cheaper.
It's about even money even with my car rental corporate rate, when I get a one-way car big enough for 5 plus luggage.

Do you know if there's an Amtrak surcharge for strapping grandma to the roof of the train's passenger car? That might change the economics.

Thanks,
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:34 am

Howdy All,

Can someone PM me the VIP coordinator contact info?

My wife and I are arriving there Friday with three little ones in tow and I wanted to ask for a couple minor accommodations (e.g., early check-in for naps and DSU suite placement near the club).

Thanks for your help,
--Nathan
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:55 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Howdy All,

Can someone PM me the VIP coordinator contact info?

My wife and I are arriving there Friday with three little ones in tow and I wanted to ask for a couple minor accommodations (e.g., early check-in for naps and DSU suite placement near the club).

Thanks for your help,
--Nathan
Nathan
I no longer saved the contact email and haven't been there since Last November
A quick call to the hotel can get you the information of who is the current coordinator to forward the request to
Have a great stay
Cheers
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Nathan
I no longer saved the contact email and haven't been there since Last November
A quick call to the hotel can get you the information of who is the current coordinator to forward the request to
Have a great stay
Cheers
Thanks for the advice. Have a great day!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
I'm staying at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego for Fri and Sat night. As a Diamond, I can either get the best available non-suite (most likely high floor view) or I can use a DSU to get the basic Signature Suite (low to mid floor with/without view). I'm trying to decide which to choose. The view is one of the main draws of the hotel but more space would be nice too. Anybody tried both and do you think that the Signature Suite is nice enough to give up the views on the high floors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.