Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotels recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by olouie
I contacted them and they said upgrades are at the discretion of property. Sadly MHC is off today so will need to see if she can do anything else.
A robotic answer to not take sides.
The last time I had a response like that I wouldn't ever speak to the agent again if they picked up the phone again in the call center just hang up.
The odd thing is this is a hotel that had one of the best track records in the history compared to most Hyatt Properties
Once they refuse to offer suites and best available rooms its time to move our business elsewhere.
My first question would be if Daniel the GM is still there.
Hes run a class act property historically for years and a prince of a fellow
I'd be curious if there is a still a VIP coordinator.Would get an email prior we are looking forward to your visit and did I have any personal requests or preferences
Hope this is an isolated event however time will tell all from our fellow Globers who stay
olouie likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aoktraveler
i emailed the front desk explaining my situation and received an apology that there were suites listed for purchase online but that there werent actually suites available for an upgrade. They didnt address why I wasnt eligible for a corner room or a studio nor why I was asked for $75/night for thesr upgrades. I chose not to escalate it as Id rather just enjoy my time here. I suspect other globalists will met with the $75/night upgrade offer soon
​​​​​​

​​​​​​I'm also in house at Manchester for Comic Con this week. The only eligible suite for upgrade here is the signature suite, those fell out of inventory Monday. I also learned via my upgrade sales pitch that some of the signature suites were converted into king studio rooms so there are less of them available in total.

I know some others here that took advantage of the Bilt promo and got proactive sales upgrade emails. Front desk flat out told me that complimentary globalist upgrades are not happening this week. I did take a paid upgrade at check in as I planned on having the space as I assumed that I was not targeted with paid upgrade offers that I was already taken care of.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 5:51 am

Great so now upgrades for globalists are even more limited because hotels can decide to make complementary ones into paid ones at any time, and Hyatt corporate now allows it.

The rooms have terrible AC. Barely blowing cold during an hotel weekends and the hotel said there is nothing they can do. Wont even bother sending someone to look at it. If I paid $800 a night (like they wanted) for this I would be livid but 18,000 isnt the worst.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:04 am

Every time I've stayed here I had a vip concierge that managed all my needs. Is there still one? I can share the contact info on file if it's helpful although I'm unsure they're still at the property.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Every time I've stayed here I had a vip concierge that managed all my needs. Is there still one? I can share the contact info on file if it's helpful although I'm unsure they're still at the property.
Didnt get any emails from the property or VIP at all. Not sure but overall doesnt seem like they do anymore.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:47 am

I've lived in San Diego since 2006 and I can easily say that Comic Con is the biggest
and most sold out event each and every year
even with the writers strike or whatever strike is happening @ present
Folks pay astronomical sums of money for a room let alone a suite.
Even as a Lifetime Glob I wouldn't expect much in the way of an upgrade during this event time
Otherwise my expectations under normal circumstances would be quite high based on their historical pattern
of being a Glob friendly hotel
Of all the Hyatt hotels worldwide I have always felt a great welcome and good energy at this hotel from the GM
right down to the front desk.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: UA-Gold, AA-Gold, Hyatt-LIfeTime Diamond
Didnt get any emails from the property or VIP at all. Not sure but overall doesnt seem like they do anymore.
This LT Diamond did and their Assistant director of operation even addressed me with my prefer "diamond" status. Part of the email stated "...Due to the holiday weekend, we are currently sold out of suites during your stay. If you have questions or inquiries about room upgrade availability please email [email protected]....."

Now I see we were suppose to write back to inquire "paid upgrade" possibilities and dream on about getting any complimentary suite upgrade.... That was a Chase awards stay, so can't use suite upgrade cert anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I've lived in San Diego since 2006 and I can easily say that Comic Con is the biggest
and most sold out event each and every year
even with the writers strike or whatever strike is happening @ present
Folks pay astronomical sums of money for a room let alone a suite.
Even as a Lifetime Glob I wouldn't expect much in the way of an upgrade during this event time
Otherwise my expectations under normal circumstances would be quite high based on their historical pattern
of being a Glob friendly hotel
Of all the Hyatt hotels worldwide I have always felt a great welcome and good energy at this hotel from the GM
right down to the front desk.
I have no issues if higher rooms and suites are sold out, but when the hotel shows higher category rooms as available and will sell for cash or cash upgrade but not provide as globalist upgrade there is the issue. Once they realize hyatt corporate allows this during comic con it will just become standard practice for other conventions then spread to just regular non event nights.
bbbb likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:11 pm

I have no issues if higher rooms and suites are sold out, but when the hotel shows higher category rooms as available and will sell for cash or cash upgrade but not provide as globalist upgrade there is the issue. Once they realize hyatt corporate allows this during comic con it will just become standard practice for other conventions then spread to just regular non event nights.
exactly and then other hotels are gonna learn from this and turn into marriott. I want to start a thread with dates that these things happened so globalist can avoid. can I start with you being a reference for this hotel?
Exiled in Express and olouie like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It sounds like Manchester GH has tightened up on upgrades during Comic Con. I'm not prepared to draw any broader conclusions based on a policy applied during a single, notoriously popular special event.

Last edited by Zorak; Jul 23, 2023 at 8:23 am Reason: removing other property digression
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:55 pm

It is a possible concern agreed and the cancer started IMO from the time The Park Hyatt in NYC opened and spread elsewhere.
I have watched it taint the World Of Hyatt program @ select hotels.
Sadly they take a high revenue customer and run the risk of alienating them from the property
For myself I've already written off a handful of properties indefinitely or perhaps forever.
That said some guests seem just fine with the upsell
For long timers in my own viewpoint its incredibly insulting and a pure money grab
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It sounds like Manchester GH has tightened up on upgrades during Comic Con. I'm not prepared to draw any broader conclusions based on a policy applied during a single, notoriously popular special event.
Im not super invested in this battle, but for the record I checked in and checked out before Comic Con started and was asked to pay extra for a corner/studio room

Last edited by Zorak; Jul 23, 2023 at 8:24 am Reason: editing quote to match edit in original
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aoktraveler
Im not super invested in this battle, but for the record I checked in and checked out before Comic Con started and was asked to pay extra for a corner/studio room
Just curious how close? Many who are involved in the event itself go in a week or more in advance. Plenty of reports of Manchester GH upgrades in this thread. We were upgraded to Bay View in May (though I'm really not a fan of the property).

Last edited by Zorak; Jul 23, 2023 at 8:26 am Reason: other property digression
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Topic check

We're getting a bit off-track for a property specific thread.

There's already a thread for Globalist comp upgrades in general: Globalist best room available - including standard suites - 2022 onward

it's mostly just data points but also has some discussion from time to time.

Alternatively...

Originally Posted by Ijones027
exactly and then other hotels are gonna learn from this and turn into marriott. I want to start a thread with dates that these things happened so globalist can avoid. can I start with you being a reference for this hotel?
... this would be fine as a separate thread also.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I am not a globalist so no free parking. In fact...I didn't get the kamaaina rate on parking because I was using points instead of a kamaaina package.
Do Globalists get free parking here on paid/cash rates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.