Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:21 am

3 nights on points. Booked a double room, SUA into a 1K suite.

Suites are huge. Fairly well-appointed. Nice view. IMO the lounge is the best in the continental US (haven't been to HI so can't compare). Definitively beats out the GH DC (which is temporarily closed now anyway) Pools and gym are nice. Pretty rooftop hangout location by the pool with string lights. We went for a quick dip before checking out but the pool area had signage that the pools were closed for that day due to a private event. Bummer...so we left. Mentioned this to the FD via text and got a reply that the pools should be open for guests, so a little extra bummed about the miscommunication.

Absolutely worthless resort fee. Thankful not to be subject to that. Seaport Village easy to walk to but a little disappointing.

Had a housekeeping issue. I won't delve into what it was exactly but just say that for some folks it would be appallingly disgusting. For me, there was no harm no foul (more or less) but it was absolutely worth taking photos and sharing with the assistant manager who had emailed to check on our stay. They responded swiftly, apologized profusely, promised this wouldn't happen to anyone else, offered what I considered substantial but fair Hyatt points for recovery, and asked me to reach out in advance of a future stay. I accepted the points and apology so all is good, however I bet some might think the points were not enough and I imagine he was prepared to offer much more but I immediately accepted the first offer since, as I said, no harm no foul.

All in all I suspect we will return some day. No idea when that will be though since the hotel itself isn't necessarily a draw and we have no general NEED to be in SD.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Although it's a bummer the Manchester is going up to a 5, it is definitely not surprising IMO considering the Andaz is already a 5. The value this property offered as a 4 was insane.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by vegasbased
Although it's a bummer the Manchester is going up to a 5, it is definitely not surprising IMO considering the Andaz is already a 5. The value this property offered as a 4 was insane.
And we all know we absolutely can't have awesome value for the consumer. Heaven forbid.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by vegasbased
Its telling that such a lackluster property was considered an insane value at cat 4. Its pricey for sure but its not worth the cash price. Now its also not worth the points.
bbbb and dpb132 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by olouie
Its telling that such a lackluster property was considered an insane value at cat 4. Its pricey for sure but its not worth the cash price. Now its also not worth the points.
I wouldn't say it was an insane value. It was a good points value among a bunch of mediocre and often overpriced San Diego options.

Hyatt really needs to up the Cat 1-4, points inflation has just killed the value.
bbbb and vegasbased like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Room Renovation Coming

Just leaving a three night (upgraded) stay and when checking in, the front desk agent shared that all guest rooms will be fully renovated with a completion date sometime in 2025 - not sure when construction will start or if certain floors already have. There are certainly aspects of the property's furnishings and finishes which seem dated, especially the bathroom decor/materials - very happy they are going to re-invest in this property.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Good to hear its always been on of my favorite Hyatt Hotels and yes the bathrooms are tired but they do a mean breakfast in the restaurant
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
A quick question - can Globalist go to the Seaview Buffet Restaurant for breakfast instead of at the Grand Lounge? Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by alphag
A quick question - can Globalist go to the Seaview Buffet Restaurant for breakfast instead of at the Grand Lounge? Thanks.
Only the Grand club. I recently stayed here and received this link showing all the Glob’s benefit.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:54 am

Am i correct in seeing that the only standard award rooms here are the 4 handicap rooms in inventory? Can people not book standard king rooms on points?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbandy10
Am i correct in seeing that the only standard award rooms here are the 4 handicap rooms in inventory? Can people not book standard king rooms on points?

Nope, probably just sold out for your dates on that room type just checked this right now.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jbandy10
It seems way to often that I see revenue managers loading handicap rooms
I will book them and almost always call and successfully get it switched to non handicapped as a Globe
Others may face a challenge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.