Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Where to eat?

My first visit to the Manchester Grand Hyatt is coming up. Any recommendations for places to eat (for lunch, quick dinner, nice dinner) within walking distance? Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's touristy but some of the restaurants behind the hotel, on the walk along the water, are fun. It might be interesting to eat in the US Grant (Starwood Luxury Collection iconic historic hotel) and one of the trendy boutique hotels (sorry, I don't remember the name) has a good foodie place. If you walk to the GasLamp district (basically the part of downtown with some district buildings), you'll find a lot of restaurants and bars.

With a car, it's fun to go to LaJolla village.

I haven't been there in a while, but there's a restaurant near downtown LaJolla, along the sea in the direction of the UCSD campus, that's built so that it seems to hang over the rocks along the coast. I think of it as a fish place, but it has a variety of choices, vaguely American/Continental food. It's especially interesting to go here during a storm and get the waves crashing into the thick windows at your table. Very dramatic, but it might seem scary to some people.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum, SW Companion Pass Holder, Royal Caribbean Diamond P
Recently we visited all of the Hyatts in San Diego and compared them, This one was our winner we wrote about it on our Instagram feed dedicated to Hyatt. If your interested check out "CheckingTravel" on instagram.

Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by feeb1
My first visit to the Manchester Grand Hyatt is coming up. Any recommendations for places to eat (for lunch, quick dinner, nice dinner) within walking distance? Thanks!
Depends what you are looking for. Gaslamp has some good options. SD has a ton of microbrews and there is a Stone Brewing nearby.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta
Staying at Manchester this coming Friday - Wednesday. Can Globalists get free breakfast in the full service restaurant or just in the lounge?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lucke27
Staying at Manchester this coming Friday - Wednesday. Can Globalists get free breakfast in the full service restaurant or just in the lounge?
Like pretty much all domestic Hyatts that have a club, breakfast is in the Grand Club.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:18 am

Gotcha. I hope it’s a nice one.
~
Originally Posted by Kacee
Like pretty much all domestic Hyatts that have a club, breakfast is in the Grand Club.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by lucke27
Gotcha. I hope it’s a nice one.
~
Food is fine there. The club itself is one of the nicer ones in the US.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

They contacted me as well, and I hope our hook-up is even close to what you’ve described. They have been very accommodating so far.
~
Originally Posted by esquesk
Completed a weekend stay on points + DSU at the property and couldn't have been happier.

Prior to arrival, a Guest Connections manager and the GM directly reached out to me, which always tends to be a good sign.

I mentioned that we were actually celebrating a special occasion hoping for a better view or something along those lines. The property blew those expectations out of the water by upgrading us to a penthouse suite and placing some Champagne and other treats in the room.

This was on top of the excellent service we received all weekend from everybody we encountered. All in all, a great and memorable stay for us and I'll be back.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Food is fine there. The club itself is one of the nicer ones in the US.
+1
The breakfast is about average for a domestic lounge. Limited hot options, typically just scrambled eggs and oatmeal.

Their evening spread is usually quite good.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Parking garage is pretty horrid

We arrived on Friday, a bit after 4pm. Self parking in their garage was pretty bad. Tiny parking spots. Had to go up to the 5th floor to find anything. $35 a day.

Checkin was fine. We booked the Penthouse Suite during their “Any room for one price” sale earlier in the year. Amway and Bridge Tournaments going on.

We are in the Seaport Tower. Beautiful views of an aircraft carrier (USS Midway?). Kitchen with 2/3 size fridge, sink and microwave. Formal dining room for 6. Large living room, with a hideabed sofa. Large TV. Small office with Apple computer and chairs. Half bathroom in entryway.

Large bedroom with medium flatscreen. Huge bathroom with two separate toilets, two separate showers, two separate sinks and one tub.

Room gets hot during the day. There appears to be AC, but didn’t seem to cool much. I opened the windows and it helped a bit, in conjunction with lowering the blinds.

Very noisey in the morning, starting before 6am. Sounded like trucks backing up and unloading, which was strange considering we were 30+ stories up.

Fireworks woke us up at 9:30pm Saturday night in the bay between Coronado island.

The club being in the other tower is a big pain. Even taking the shortcut on the 4th floor wasn’t any fun.

Evening service was ok, but nothing spectacular. A warm chicken dish and “California” rice. Salad with different toppings and two dressings. Bread but no butter, and cheddar and edam cubes. Juices, water and soft drinks in the fridge.

I found breakfast a lot more interesting. The scrambled eggs were pretty HIX-ish. Good bacon and large chicken sausages. Small bagels, banana bread, muffins, bread with cream cheese and butter. A couple types of flavored greek yoghurt. Prosciutto, salami, lox, onions, strawberries, watermelon and other fixings were quite nice. Fresh juices were on the counter.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Dec 2, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had my New Years stay here. Decent stay, but the lounge was so packed. Really hard to get a table. Liquor is now free.

Had some room cleanliness issues one day. Housekeeping knocked my pill container off the side table under the bed. While hunting for it, I found the wrapper and insert for a new dress shirt behind the table. Obviously not ours, so it had been there for at least 3 days. The half bath wasn’t cleaned right.

One day, the lady comes by to refill drinks in the full sized fridge. She mentions that the drinks are complimentary, which no one had ever told me.

A big group of religious people were checking in, and this guy with two cute dogs comes up, and then starts proselytizing and wants to bless me. My small kid was there, so I didn’t protest as I normally would. I hate this type of crap.
bbbb and antonius66 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just noticed that this property seems to be taking deposits as the norm, even on fully cancellable rates.
Made two reservations for March, and bang, $500 charged to the credit card.
I fear it thinks it's a resort.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
Just noticed that this property seems to be taking deposits as the norm, even on fully cancellable rates.
Made two reservations for March, and bang, $500 charged to the credit card.
I fear it thinks it's a resort.
It’s funny, they didn’t take payment on the Penthouse suite deal from last year, until a few days before NYE, on my second stay.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt GLOB
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I haven't been there in a while, but there's a restaurant near downtown LaJolla, along the sea in the direction of the UCSD campus, that's built so that it seems to hang over the rocks along the coast. I think of it as a fish place, but it has a variety of choices, vaguely American/Continental food. It's especially interesting to go here during a storm and get the waves crashing into the thick windows at your table. Very dramatic, but it might seem scary to some people.
MSPeconomist is probably thinking of the Marine Room: https://www.marineroom.com/. I've only been there for dinner, but I gather High Tide Breakfast is a wonder to behold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.