Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:08 am

Had one stay here 2 months ago, upgraded from a base room to a suite on the 36th floor. Put in your notes/requests for a suite if available.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Matt4200
777 -

I completely get what you’re saying and I do agree the best way is to ask before arrival. I love MGH and I agree it is a big hotel, as are many in SD.

The only thing I have an issue with is people are saying that upgraded rooms and standard suites are shown as available but the Front Desk claims none are available. The Hyatt app updates in real time (confirmed by their twitter team). And there’s no more than a 15 minute difference in rooms booked showing on the app from the hotel’s inventory. So if they claim 0 upgrades are available yet it shows multiple available that’s a big discrepancy for Globalists.

Just my two cents.
I checked in here an hour before the standard check-in time and was told that I had been "upgraded" to a club room but that the room was not ready. I had just checked the app and knew that there were suites available. I asked if I could be upgraded to a standard suite. I was told that they didn't think any were available for my stay. After waiting for them to check, it turns out that there were plenty available (as we were given a choice of floor) and they, unlike my club room, were cleaned and ready to go. Seems like this property is very hesitant to give globalist standard suite upgrades.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
ISeems like this property is very hesitant to give globalist standard suite upgrades.
If you read the thread, that is untrue.

You got a lazy agent.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
I checked in here an hour before the standard check-in time and was told that I had been "upgraded" to a club room but that the room was not ready. I had just checked the app and knew that there were suites available. I asked if I could be upgraded to a standard suite. I was told that they didn't think any were available for my stay. After waiting for them to check, it turns out that there were plenty available (as we were given a choice of floor) and they, unlike my club room, were cleaned and ready to go. Seems like this property is very hesitant to give globalist standard suite upgrades.
I still stand behind the property despite the front desk issues which IMO may be a lack of empowerment general knowledge
There is a rooms executive at the property and a VIP coordinator these are the best folks IMHO to ask these questions/make the request too and then you will likely have
the best outcome based on availability length of stay availability across all the days of your stay etc.You may get lucky with a senior or more seasoned agents at check in
Let us not forget the turnover rate of front desk agents on average.A simple request to Front office manager can also work miracles!
Cheers
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
They are always generous with suite upgrades to me, although I do usually have to ask. I find the Club to be very decent by US standards. Only recent downside is the remodel / noise and lack of Lobby.
markko likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not uncommon at these big convention properties (any brand, not just Hyatt, and not just MGH) to get an FDA who just sticks you in whatever room is easiest for them, tells you you've been upgraded to a "beautiful club room," and hopes you'll move along as quickly as possible.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA
Just pre-paid for a 5 night stay next month before Christmas. Going solo but booked a 2 double bed basic room because it was cheapest.

I'm an explorist and would like at minimum a king bed with a water view at check in. is this too much to expect, anyway of pre-requesting this or enhancing my chances of this or better?

Also used a club access award for this stay.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta
Most rooms can see water at this location. You want to be south facing if possible to get a good view of the bridge. I'm explorist and got an easy upgrade.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:48 pm

just letting everyone know rates over Christmas week are really cheap I booked a room for $90 a night and apply to TSU to it for a 4 night stay.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I just stayed here and got Club Access using my Explorist benefit but they had to call the membership desk to get this applied. Also be aware, this lounge is one of the poorest in terms of food quality and drink options. Poor selection of afternoon food, breakfast is ok but adult beverages are limited to just beer and wine. Honestly speaking, you are in the heart of San Diego with more restaurants than I care to mention. Unless you are really trying to save a few bucks or want to feed the kiddos, skip the Club here. FYI they keep the doors open during some parts of the day and no one is at the desk, you can get free drinks and coffee if you can access the floor.
Sorry, but I disagree here. GH San Diego has one of the best domestic lounges I have visited. The food quality and selection is top notch.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:34 pm

Does anyone have good results in getting the destination fee waived as a globalist?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Does anyone have good results in getting the destination fee waived as a globalist?
Isn't that a published benefit for Globs, or are they exempt because it's called a destination fee and not a resort fee?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:03 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I am happy to share Globalists do not pay Resort or destination fees
One of a number of reasons I choose Hyatt the majority of the time if the hotel is as good as the competing brand
Manchester does a great job for Globalists typically
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I would hope it's 100% success system wide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.