Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:20 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by saint
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't valet parking be free for Globalists? I'm told you can charge it to the room so shouldn't it be free?
I was told by the Globalist line only self parking is included
One can only hope the information is correct.It was a huge inconvenience to self park due to getting out of the garage gate that had problems reading the room key and long walks during peak times finding a parking spot
should have double checked with the hotel to be certain
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:24 pm

Does anyone know why there is no option for two queen beds with club access? I've checked a bunch of random dates and it appears you can only book two doubles with club access.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by kenbo
Does anyone know why there is no option for two queen beds with club access? I've checked a bunch of random dates and it appears you can only book two doubles with club access.
Simply availability. I've checked random dates with both paid and award stays from August to October. Show mixture of king, 2 queens, and doubles, with club and no club access.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
I just recently checked into this hotel and can confirm that valet parking is free for Globalist members on award stays.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:15 am

Does anyone have experience redeeming Club Access Awards at this location? I have a 4 night award stay this Labor Day weekend, tried to redeem club award, “no availability because there are no Club rooms available” when calling the Explorist line.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:03 am

Has anybody seen this marketing video (
)? What is the message they are trying to get across?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by unifix
Does anyone have experience redeeming Club Access Awards at this location? I have a 4 night award stay this Labor Day weekend, tried to redeem club award, “no availability because there are no Club rooms available” when calling the Explorist line.
It sounds like they are at capacity for club rooms and so therefore won’t add club access award in effort to keep from overcrowding the club. But I have no idea if this is a policy. I’m interested in what others say because we will have a stay there next summer and our specific dates are also showing no club rooms available. I too wanted to add a club access award.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:12 am

WoH central may not be able to apply it, but I'd try asking the property directly if they will apply it (they can do so). Globalists stay on properties with lounges all the time without being put in a club room, so regardless of what the terms and conditions say (I don't know), it should be feasible. Similarly, when WoH can't apply a suite upgrade cert, I usually call the property directly, give some context to the request and ask politely for some accommodation.

You probably want to ask for the the VIP manager / guest services person. I can PM it to you if want but you should be able to ask the hotel operator for this.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by cheme24
Has anybody seen this marketing video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhSugXLmLw)? What is the message they are trying to get across?
it’s a poorly produced budget video that should be trashed or redone
the message is distorted without focus
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
No, no boycott as flags and LOVE signs with rainbow colors all over the place (see photos below). But there was nothing over the top or debauchery of any sort. Also, they were totally sold out and we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite on the 39th floor due to no suite availability. The treatment we received was awesome by the great staff throughout.

Rainbow flag beside old glory!

LOVE Pride sign replaced the Concierge desk at the Grand lobby!

Vast presidential suite full of light during the day!

Amazing night time views!
I wish every Hyatt took care of Globalists like that and there would be no reason to ever stay in another competing brand
kudos to the good folks @ The Grand Hyatt San Diego
Great Post
Kalboz likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta

I just stayed here and got Club Access using my Explorist benefit but they had to call the membership desk to get this applied. Also be aware, this lounge is one of the poorest in terms of food quality and drink options. Poor selection of afternoon food, breakfast is ok but adult beverages are limited to just beer and wine. Honestly speaking, you are in the heart of San Diego with more restaurants than I care to mention. Unless you are really trying to save a few bucks or want to feed the kiddos, skip the Club here. FYI they keep the doors open during some parts of the day and no one is at the desk, you can get free drinks and coffee if you can access the floor.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I just stayed here and got Club Access using my Explorist benefit but they had to call the membership desk to get this applied. Also be aware, this lounge is one of the poorest in terms of food quality and drink options. Poor selection of afternoon food, breakfast is ok but adult beverages are limited to just beer and wine. Honestly speaking, you are in the heart of San Diego with more restaurants than I care to mention. Unless you are really trying to save a few bucks or want to feed the kiddos, skip the Club here. FYI they keep the doors open during some parts of the day and no one is at the desk, you can get free drinks and coffee if you can access the floor.
Is the wine and beer free during happy hour?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the wine and beer free during happy hour?
No. It's honor bar.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Poor selection of afternoon food
Afternoon food? Were you expecting high tea? IIRC they have cookies and that's about all you can reasonably expect for "afternoon food" at a domestic lounge. The breakfast and happy hour spreads are above average for a domestic lounge. I always found staff quite pleasant as well. Overall, this is one of the better US lounges. Very spacious, great views.
markko likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
You say you were granted club access with your Explorist benefit so I wonder how you are able to judge how good or bad a club since obviously you have very limited experience with clubs. I find the club at the Manchester Grand very good and trust me, I have been to many many clubs.
Kacee and markko like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.