Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone, I honestly didn't know that was a benefit.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Thanks everyone, I honestly didn't know that was a benefit.
It’s waived for Discoverist and up on Points bookings and Points booking, Points + Cash, or Cash Bookings for Globalists.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:32 pm

Thanks, I mostly track the tsu and breakfast benefits
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, I mostly track the tsu and breakfast benefits
Don't forget free parking
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have a reservation that now shows an odd "additional fee" of $2.60 for a four night stay with no explanation. Does anyone know what this could be?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA
Any recommendations on eateries near the hotel? Will be travelling solo, so don't need anything too fancy. Any mexican, burgers, salads, etc. places withing walking distance?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO there are some pleasant places if you just walk toward the water, either on hotel property or in the building to the right just at the tip where the shoreline turns, but these places aren't cheap for what they are. The alternative to is walk toward the gaslamp quarter (downtown San Diego, including some historic buildings) that's filled with bars, burger joints, casual Mexican restaurants, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
You can also download the Lime Scooter app to your phone. If you walk out front and cross the street you will see those scooters sitting there. They are fun, cheap and you can cover a lot of ground
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta
Its a nice lounge, but the food is adequate not top notch...I've had better especially considering the area and food choices in the area.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by theshaun
Any recommendations on eateries near the hotel? Will be travelling solo, so don't need anything too fancy. Any mexican, burgers, salads, etc. places withing walking distance?
Downtown San Diego is nothing but restaurants. Yelp is your friend here, but make reservations on the weekend. It can be a zoo. If you don't want to go far, the burger joint Brew30 in the hotel is rather good.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by theshaun
Any recommendations on eateries near the hotel? Will be traveling solo, so don't need anything too fancy. Any mexican, burgers, salads, etc. places withing walking distance?
Burger Lounge is in the Gaslamp, Excellent salad with Lemon Basil dressing, great cod sandwiches, decent fries and onion rings and of course hamburgers
prices are reasonable for the high quality
However The Water Grill has the best french fry's in America (like those from Europe double blanched) and a respectable burger more expensive and upscale
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:48 pm

Finished up my stay here last week. Overall a four out of five. Here is why:

Positives:
1. the GM reached out to me ahead of my stay and asked what he could do to make my stay exceptional. I replied that I would like to be able to dine at the Seaview restaurant once during my stay instead of having to take breakfast in the lounge. The GM very kindly said that I could have breakfast at Seaview for my entire stay everyday complementary. Huge plus, really made me feel valued as a globalist.
2. The hard product of the hotel is very nice the rooms are nicely appointed, the pool is very nice and the sports courts are very nice as well.
3. The hotel has a texting service that is very responsive. anything I needed whether they be toiletries or more pillows they were promptly brought to my room after a simple text. Much better than having to call the front desk for every request.
4. Lounge food was actually good, dinner one night we had filet mignon in demi glace, another night we had salmon, another night we had swordfish all very good. On par with the mains at other Grand Hyatts.

Negatives/Challenges:
1. They didn't have our suite ready until about 5 in the afternoon. It wasn't even a special suite it was just a standard suite upgrade.
2. One day around 6 we went to visit the sports courts, at the courts there is a sign stating that they are open until 8 pm. I tried accessing the court and the door would not open. I contacted the hotel and they said that the courts were closed due to the fact that there was no lighting on the courts. They said that the courts would open again the next morning at sunrise.

While I understand, they should either amend their sign that tells guests that the courts are open until 8 p.m. Or they should get some lights for the courts. The hotel very nicely gave me a $50 dining credit to use anywhere in the hotel as compensation (didn't ask for it was proactively offered).

3. The next morning we went to the sports courts again anticipating being able to use them. Once again the doors were locked and would not let me in. this time it was not only me that was trying to access the courts but at least six other guests were turned away. I once again texted the hotel telling them that the doors were not working and lo and behold the doors were broken and the hotel ended up having to leave the doors open so that guests could access the courts. In my opinion bad maintenance and bad planning. The hotel proactively offered me 9,000 points for the inconvenience which was very nice and a good recovery.

4. There were no pool towels available. guests had to go to the fitness center and use the fitness towels instead of pool towels to dry off. Even after requesting them it took them about two hours to stock the towel holder full of towels.

Overall it all worked out but these little service hiccups stopped the stay from being perfect. Their attempts are recoveries were well received which is why I give them four out of five.

Edit: after further reflection their recovery efforts warrant them a perfect score.

Last edited by ZBigFam; Dec 31, 2019 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Overall it all worked out but these little service hiccups stopped the stay from being perfect. Their attempts are recoveries were well received which is why I give them four out of five.
It’s the largest hotel in Southern California with 1628 rooms. The service you received was IMO rather exceptional for such a large convention property.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:35 pm

IIRC they have a staff position that's called something like an elite experience manager. They seem to be good at Diamond/Glob recognition as SOP.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It’s the largest hotel in Southern California with 1628 rooms. The service you received was IMO rather exceptional for such a large convention property.
Yes it is quite large, but I don't change my standards, we had a great stay but it wasn't perfect.

Changed, my original rating, you are right

Last edited by ZBigFam; Dec 31, 2019 at 10:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.